promotion to SL

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

Which document is this? I understood the financial aspects of this matter had not been discussed by the clubs, as stated in today's League express.

It's on the forum somewhere - probably in the Never-Ending thread.  Just because there was no discussion doesn't mean nothing was proposed.

To be fair, most players' contracts include a clause about changing divisions.  Usually, all bets are off.

Edited by Griff, 20 January 2014 - 05:51 PM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#22 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Sorry - doubled up.

Edited by Griff, 20 January 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#23 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

As of today no agreement has been made over the financial terms for the new arrangement . there will be a meeting  of clubs shortly to discuss the situation and there is the question of control to face as well . sl clubs dont want a reduction in money but the championship clubs need monetary support or the structure cannot work .some of the sl clubs ,infact  the majority are not happy with the way the game is administered .

#24 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Sorry - doubled up.

me too, you're so funny :tongue:

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#25 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

But those 2 clubs will have players on full time contracts for the 2015 season which have already been signed. They will want the same money from the RFL as they are getting now. Don't forget they will also probably have 5? Overseas players in their squads whereas Championship teams can only have 1.

Since the early days of SL and Workington and Oldham going pear shaped after being relegated and left with players on big contracts I'm pretty sure that all contracts now have a cancellation clause should the club be relegated.

#26 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Since the early days of SL and Workington and Oldham going pear shaped after being relegated and left with players on big contracts I'm pretty sure that all contracts now have a cancellation clause should the club be relegated.

But for the last how many years, club could not be relegated. Therefore I think it is highly likely that this issue has not been considered as it could not arise.

#27 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

But for the last how many years, club could not be relegated. Therefore I think it is highly likely that this issue has not been considered as it could not arise.

Fred - I think you're flogging a dead horse here.  Prior to the current debate and restructure, everybody thought that there was at least some jeopardy of relegation at the end of the 2014 season through licensing, so what you say is not true.  Also, the RFL has a standard player's contract.  If clubs have chosen to strike out the changing divisions clause, more fool them.

Edited by Griff, 21 January 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

me too, you're so funny :tongue:

Nice one, OR.  Respect! ;)

#29 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Fred - I think you're flogging a dead horse here.  Prior to the current debate and restructure, everybody thought that there was at least some jeopardy of relegation at the end of the 2014 season through licensing, so what you say is not true.  Also, the RFL has a standard player's contract.  If clubs have chosen to strike out the changing divisions clause, more fool them.

Fair enough. I wasn't aware that there was a standard RFL contract, which if you say is correct then that should alleviate that potential problem.  I just don't think that the SL clubs are going to roll over and have their tummies tickled and everything in relation to the Championship clubs will come through like manna from heaven.

#30 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

Fair enough. I wasn't aware that there was a standard RFL contract, which if you say is correct then that should alleviate that potential problem.  I just don't think that the SL clubs are going to roll over and have their tummies tickled and everything in relation to the Championship clubs will come through like manna from heaven.

Well, that's a different issue and I wouldn't disagree with you on that.

#31 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

It would be disapointing to miss out on a middle 8 of say:

Bradford, Widnes, Cas, Salford, Wakey, London and 2 from Fev/Fax/Sheffield/Leigh

Would be some great games to miss out on in 2015.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#32 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

It would be disapointing to miss out on a middle 8 of say:

Bradford, Widnes, Cas, Salford, Wakey, London and 2 from Fev/Fax/Sheffield/Leigh

Would be some great games to miss out on in 2015.

Great as you say but first we have to get into the top four of our championship with two relegated SL to contend with .

#33 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

One of the biggest problems according to RL Express is which TV company will show what?If Sky Sports cover the second eight in 2015? who will cover the Championship? Lets hope theyt sort it out. Premier Sports contract finishes at the end of 2014 so will that continue. What will the financal basis of it all be. Also with relegation and SL clubs bottom four competeing in the same set up as Championship clubs the end of dual registration seems to be a thing of the past. Tthe other big danmger mooted is clubs overspending on players to maintain their position. Lots to mull over before the campaign starts. Lets hope they sort it.

#34 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

So now we hear that a new contract has been signed with Sky Sports and a bigger distrbution will be made to Championship clubs. No figures yet. After due consideration I reckon that the relegated clubs will be London and Wakefield. The bottom four: Cas, Salford, Widnes and Bradford. So the second group of eight in 2015 from: , Cas, Salford, Widnes, Bradford. Who if they finish in the bottom four will join our eight,which will include four from I reckon Fev, Sheffield, Halifax,Leigh, London and Wakefield.. Lets hope we finish in the top four the first 20 odd games before the split. Then in the top four of the eight to go up to SL. Be interesting to see the new distribution figures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users