Weekend Friendlies

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#61 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

What kind of turnout did Roby and Bailey get?

Based purely on fan speculation, Roby got somewhere between 7000 and 8000 for his testimonial.

#62 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

SL - that's a good crowd and well deserved for a man who has done the hard yards for club and country. Now, I would argue that Saints might thank Wigan for bringing a lot of spectators across for a good cause. Even the Roosters' new best friends Wire managed to find it in their hearts to thank us for playing them in Westwood's testimonial. Which makes Brown's graceless anti Wigan hissy fit the poorest of poor form. Though not unexpected.

#63 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

right so st Helens v wigan  gets close on double the gate for leeds v London   wow what a big surprise on a lousy Friday night for a friendly 

still don't think bailey will be to disappointed with a gate of £50,000   to start him off

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#64 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

Leigh  28-36  Wigan

Att 2988

I saw that crowd on the Wigan website and you think you get at least 6000 for that game?

#65 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Cos nobody likes bailey big dirty cheating horrible example of a human being even is own fans dont like him that why it was a poor turnout.

What a pathetic unt© you are.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#66 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

seems theres a few leeds coaches that like bailey and his team mates as well so I don't suppose he will lose much sleep over opposition fans not been fans of him.

he does actually say that when the fans are howling at him it drives him on to go in harder  so I suppose its good that he is so disliked by others

Edited by southstand loiner, 01 February 2014 - 09:56 PM.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#67 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

widnes lost 18-16 in perpignan in what was a full scale match with virtually both first choice sides on view apart from the first choice widnes front row............http://www.widnesvik...endly-in-france

Edited by Viking Warrior, 01 February 2014 - 08:19 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#68 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

SL - that's a good crowd and well deserved for a man who has done the hard yards for club and country. Now, I would argue that Saints might thank Wigan for bringing a lot of spectators across for a good cause. Even the Roosters' new best friends Wire managed to find it in their hearts to thank us for playing them in Westwood's testimonial. Which makes Brown's graceless anti Wigan hissy fit the poorest of poor form. Though not unexpected.

Wigan fans came to Langtree Park to watch their team play.  Some may have come across to support Robes, but I very much doubt that would apply to many of them! 

As for the off the ball hit on Walsh, if it was done by a Wigan player - and it will not be the first time Wigan has played dirty in recent years - then I'm all for Brown making a public comment about it.  However, some of the fans who went to the match (and I wasn't one of them) seemed to think Walsh was cleaned out by Amor.  I guess time will tell.

Edited by Saintslass, 01 February 2014 - 09:16 PM.

#69 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

He can say what he likes and does. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted he's coaching Saints. Bobbie Goulding would have been my first pick but he should keep doing what he's doing.
Wigan fans did turn up to watch their team. Their team were playing because the Wigan club had agreed to play in a testimonial game. They didn't have to, and Robes is tens of thousands of pounds richer as a consequence - and wonderfully well deserved too.

#70 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

Brown has a different attitudes when an opposition player hits one of his players to that he has when a Saints players belts an opposition man.
He never shut up over the Scott Taylor/Gareth O'Brien incident yet when Meli stiff armed Craig Hall and knocked him unconcious Brown was very circumspect about it and certainly stayed away from suggesting the same punishment for Meli as he suggested for Taylor.
Taylor has no charge to answer, Meli was sent off and got a lengthy ban.

Last night I was behind the sticks at the Wigan end and it did look as though Walsh and Amor collided, although it is a long way off the incident. Both ended up on the ground and Walsh stayed down. I hope he's ok!

#71 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Wigan fans did turn up to watch their team. Their team were playing because the Wigan club had agreed to play in a testimonial game.

That's right.  Saints and James Roby have already thanked Wigan club for agreeing to the match.  The fans just turn up to watch their team.  Nobody needs to thank them! 

#72 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

Featherstone Rovers V Hull 3pm is definately on and a big following from Hull is expected. This is not an all ticket game but apparently Hull already rumoured to have sold over 1000 tickets for what is Richard Whitings testimonial Featherstone are urging all fans to arrive early as the new stands are not completed yet.

http://www.featherst...le.php?id=12739

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#73 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

Hope to see all the Hull fans in the clubhouse before the game as they are showing the Wembley final from 83 in the bar and dont forget the bar under the Family stand will be open from 2pm. Look forward to seeing you all

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#74 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

RoyBoy and my good self will be in attendance today. Hoping to meet up with Terry Mullaney in the clubhouse beforehand, all things being well. Absolutely beautiful day over here in East Yorks, hope it's likewise in Fev,

looking forward to it.

Just let us know when the replay of the '83 final has finished and we'll pop over. 

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#75 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Vert sunny, Lots of us will be in The Lagoon from 2pm which is the bar under the Family stand. Refurbished last season and lots of RL memorabilia up on the walls. Looking forward to a great atmosphere, we really have missed our friends from Hull, always guarantee a great sing song. Cant wait

#76 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Crusaders - Hemel off, waterlogged pitch (suprise, suprise - it's rained a bit round here lately!).

#77 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Brown has a different attitudes when an opposition player hits one of his players to that he has when a Saints players belts an opposition man.
He never shut up over the Scott Taylor/Gareth O'Brien incident yet when Meli stiff armed Craig Hall and knocked him unconcious Brown was very circumspect about it and certainly stayed away from suggesting the same punishment for Meli as he suggested for Taylor.

Last night I was behind the sticks at the Wigan end and it did look as though Walsh and Amor collided, although it is a long way off the incident. Both ended up on the ground and Walsh stayed down. I hope he's ok!

But that hit was a bad one nevertheless.

I agree that Brown's comments could be viewed as hypocritical, and in a sense I suppose they are, but few coaches seem to openly attack their own players in the media do they? After Mcllorum's despicable late hit on Anthony Laffranchi a couple of years ago Wane, during his post match interview, claimed that he'd been fully committed and didn't believe he should receive a ban for it. I don't remember Brown's comments on the Meli incident, but I don't think they could've been much worse than Wane's were on that occassion. I'm not really trying to knock Wane here, or Brown either. I'm just emphasising that it does seem to be common practice to defend, or at least keep quiet about, your own when the spotlight is on you, and rightly so in my opinion. It seems better to deal with things privately to me. If Wane (or any other coach for that matter) has publicly attacked his players over such incidents and this has gone over the top of my head then I will, of course, happily revise my opinions on the matter.  

I am surprised that Brown has run his mouth off on this occasion though, but at the same time I'm sort of glad he has because it seems to have caused some tension and a bit of bad feeling ahead of the season which makes things all the more exciting. His personal gripe with Wigan probably has less to do with being Saints coach than it does with the incidents of 2010 when he was rather unhappy with them to say the least. This is a big year for him, he has a much improved squad now and, compared to last year, there'll be few excuses for not performing.  

Edited by MrFussy, 02 February 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#78 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

Saints are playing Rochdale at Spotland today.  Saints' squad is mostly academy players, although many of those have already played for the first team, plus three long term first teamers in Makinson, Gardner and Clough.

#79 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

I'd argue Brown couldn't say anything about the Meli challenge as it was blatant and the bloke get sent off...

Link to Friday night's challenge is here:

https://vine.co/v/Mzdrbhg6x3v

There was a collison with Amor (is behind Walsh) but by the looks of it, a shoulder charge from Ben Flower...

Edited by GeordieSaint, 02 February 2014 - 11:36 AM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#80 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

I'd argue Brown couldn't say anything about the Meli challenge as it was blatant and the bloke get sent off...

Link to Friday night's challenge is here:

https://vine.co/v/Mzdrbhg6x3v

There was a collison with Amor (is behind Walsh) but by the looks of it, a shoulder charge from Ben Flower...

That doesn't look particularly good tbh. Not sure which player he makes contact with, what I do know is that neither of them had the ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users