Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

silk cut plate final 1997

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

What are your memories? I remember getting to Wembley very late due to a few to many beverages being consumed the night before. The bomb scare was strangely a pleasant surprise as it meant the game was delayed and we hadn't missed kick off. I remember big Brendan (Hill) gracing the hallowed turf. We were soundly beaten by Hull KR but it took nothing away from the occasion.we saw the team bus in central London and with some help managed to get it to stop. We got on the bus and congratulated the team for doing us proud,I believe they were on their way to a meal and drinks. All in all a great weekend despite the result, will live long in the memory.

#2 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

my memories are we were sat so far away i couldnt actually see our 1st try which took us into an early lead ! The wooden benches for seats were a pain in the backside ( literally ). The New Wembley is a million times better than the old  one, strangely for me the Final was a bit of an anti climax, the real memories was the semi final at Widnes, the last 2 mins were the longest of my life as we somehow  clinged on by our fingernails by 1 point,  the relief and emotion when the hooter went i will never forget.

Posted Image

#3 HUNSLET72

HUNSLET72
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Fantastic day out . Dave Brook should have played from the start . Cost us the Cup .......

Edited by HUNSLET72, 20 January 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#4 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hunslet 72 is right-- as Hunslet timekeeper at that time I can tell you that Tim Murphy being selected  instead of David Brook was a big surprise to the players when Plangey announced the team during our last training session at Watford AFC training ground the day before.. To be fair to Plangey he was fit to play himself but gave the No 5 shirt to Paul White.

Agree that the semi at Widnes was the best game-- yes the last 2 minutes seemed to last for ever-- when time was up on my stopwatch I had to shout at the Widnes timekeeper to blow  the hooter as he was sat there as in a trance.

#5 Bigm1

Bigm1
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

We we're due to fly to USA on the day of the final. After the superb display in the semi I convinced my wife it was worth the cost of putting back the flights a day as we were playing great & might win it. OK, it didn't go to plan & she reminded me mercilessly for 3 weeks of what it cost!!

It was worth it - my Dad took me to the final in 65 & I never dreamt I'd see my team play at Wembley again.

Also my 2 boys went & they can say they saw Hunslet on the hallowed turf.

Why can't the RFL come up with something similar for the smaller clubs to aspire to? Next Northern Rail as a curtain raiser? All soccer clubs have a chance to play there, even amateurs, why not RL clubs?

#6 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Saw Huns at Wembley. That was good enough for me. Stanley Gene ripped us to bits. Didn't Nathan Graham have a nightmare for Bradford afterwards?

#7 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Great day will never forget it!! !!

the new green/ yellow boots the players got for the final always sticks in my mind for some reason!! !!

As has been mentioned, Brooky came on the pitch and made an immediate impact and should have been on from the start, not that we'd have won as Sir Stanley literally tore us apart single handedly!!

Sad that we lost but what a memory seeing the Mighty Hunslet at Wembley!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users