GB Medals

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Anyone looking forward to the start of the Winter Olympics on 7th Feb?

I was, though I'm less keen now, having heard about all the homophobic nonsense emanating from the host country and its President.

I'm not sure me boycotting it by turning the telly off will achieve anything, so I'll probably end up watching a great deal of it.

Should it be boycotted, or is it more effective to do things like the BBC are doing and send Dame Clare Balding over to Sochi to lead their coverage or as the USA are doing in sending Billie Jean King as their chief representative in place of Barack Obama, thus demonstrating to ignorami like Vladimir Putin that non-heteros are just like everyone else really, living their lives and doing their jobs, and are not out to corrupt his or anyone else's children?

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

It seems Vanessa Mae is now a Thai skier. Bit of a fiddle if you ask me!

I wonder how big her insurance premium is?

LUNEW.jpg

#3 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

The ice hockey's going to be immense, always is at the Olympics as it's the only time the national teams really get all their best players together, and I love watching the ski/snowboard cross. I'll probably watch some other bits and pieces too, like the speed skating and luge/bobsleigh.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#4 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

What are Team GB's medal chances? Much slimmer than in London, no doubt, but better than the days of Eddie the Eagle, hopefully?

Are we still any good at the sweeping up thing?

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#5 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Targetting 3 medals apparently. We have good chances in some of the newer disciplines like ski cross or something similar....

#6 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

It seems Vanessa Mae is now a Thai skier. Bit of a fiddle if you ask me!

I wonder how big her insurance premium is?

It could be a bridge too far for Vanessa and she could be stringing people along. She's likely to be pegged back and will have to bow out early.

#7 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

I'm looking forward to the Winter Olympics.

Jamaica has qualified for the men's bobsleigh.

Lots of different ways of sliding to watch - great stuff.

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,196 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Targetting 3 medals apparently. We have good chances in some of the newer disciplines like ski cross or something similar....

We have two very good medal prospects in the Women's Skeleton Bob, including Lizzie Yarnold, who is likely to be World Champion by the time the Winter Olympics begins.

We have a few guys'n'gals in the freestyle board/ski events who could get on podiums. No realistic chances in the Alpine disciplines, as usual, but a Brit won a major Nordic event the other week, which is unprecedented - LINK TO STORY.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,931 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

It could be a bridge too far for Vanessa and she could be stringing people along. She's likely to be pegged back and will have to bow out early.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!   I think you are out of tune with the rest of us.   :P

I'll be watching though. Will Clarkson be doing that thing with the Mini on the ski jump.

As for the reprehensible homophobic stuff, we do use Saudi oil, Nigerian scams and Chinese whispers.....

Edited by JohnM, 22 January 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#10 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!   I think you are out of tune with the rest of us.   :P

Well, Vanessa may achieve a minor place and that would strike a chord with everybody. She must make a concertoed effort, be natural and not fall flat in an accidental way. 

#11 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Well, Vanessa may achieve a minor place and that would strike a chord with everybody. She must make a concertoed effort, be natural and not fall flat in an accidental way.

More power to her (fiddlers) elbow!

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,931 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

Where's she staying in Sochi? In A flat?  That would B natural. 

She's just tweeted that she's gone Chopin, and hopes to be Bach soon.  She's Offenbach  quite late though.

#13 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Where's she staying in Sochi? In A flat?  That would B natural. 

She's just tweeted that she's gone Chopin, and hopes to be Bach soon.  She's Offenbach  quite late though.

Give it a rest!

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,931 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

don't be so crochety...and try to be breve next time.  :wacko:  :wacko:

#15 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

I am looking forward to the Olympics, as I am a really big fan, especially of Skeleton, where we have a great chance of 1 or 2 medals, JJ Jackson finished a World Cup in 3rd, so has hit form in the 4-man bobsleigh at the right time, so should be interesting,

Short-Track, and normal Speed skating is always fascinating to watch, and we have a great skater in womens STSS, I'm looking forward to the Ice Hockey as well, Canada had a super win on home ice in 2010, Sydney Crosby's goal in the final must have got every Canadian roaring loud enough to be heard in Florida.

Saw a nice interview on the One Show about Olympic Curling stones only being made on Aisla Craig (forgive the spelling if it's wrong) in Scotland because that's where the best Granite comes from, and we have a chance of a medal there too.

Downhill Skiing has been devalued a bit this year with so many skiers being injured, and I think taking an unfit Chemmy Allcott is a mistake, but at least we have someone qualified in Men's & womens biathlon this time after years of no cross-country skiiers from GB, maybe the tide has turned.

I hope the Lugers are more careful this year than 2010 when one of the Ukranians was killed on a practice run.

Snowboarding is beginning to grow on me, but still seems out of place, a bit like BMX in the Summer Olympics.

and no split pants please.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,196 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

I love Short Track Speed Skating - there's usually some good racing there.

Ski Cross and Board Cross was introduced in the last games and is excellent entertainment - effectively the Winter equivalent of BMX Racing.

As for Chemmy Alcott, there really isn't anyone else competitive enough to be worth entering (fnarr fnarr) in the women's Alpine events.

Look out for some sporting crossover with former track sprinters Craig Pickering (GB) and Lolo Jones (USA) taking part in the Bobsleigh.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#17 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

. No realistic chances in the Alpine disciplines, as usual, 

Not sure I understand this to be honest. Posh British folk all seem to jet off to colonise the slopes at this time of year.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,196 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Not sure I understand this to be honest. Posh British folk all seem to jet off to colonise the slopes at this time of year.

Unlike the Swiss, Austrians, Scandinavians and such-like, who have been on skis since they were infants.

There does seem to be a new skiing heartland for the UK, however, based in the North of England, where there are several dry slopes and indoor skiing centres, and where several of our 2014 Winter Olympians have learned their trade. 'Ski Sunday' did a piece on the facilities in Halifax, Castleford and Sheffield last weekend.

#19 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Look out for some sporting crossover with former track sprinters Craig Pickering (GB) and Lolo Jones (USA) taking part in the Bobsleigh.

Britain has always had great track athletes, and I think Pickering has made a difference to the team, Sir Ben Ainslie has hit the nail on the head when he talked about British aerodynamic teams in the UK being about the best there is, so why can't they get involved in Bobsleigh as well as the Americas cup?

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,196 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

Britain has always had great track athletes, and I think Pickering has made a difference to the team, Sir Ben Ainslie has hit the nail on the head when he talked about British aerodynamic teams in the UK being about the best there is, so why can't they get involved in Bobsleigh as well as the Americas cup?

A ton of money is spent in Americas Cup campaigns, not a lot in Winter Sports.

Also, Bobsleigh design is heavily regulated, so there may not be many areas where major improvements can be made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users