TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The Winter Olympics

GB Medals

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

GB's Jenny Jones has qualified for the Final of the Ladies Snowboarding Slope-Style. A big chance of Britain's first medal.

Final at 9.15 UK time

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 09 February 2014 - 09:28 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#42 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

She got a bronze. Well done Jenny Jones. Team GB's first ever Olympic medal on snow apparently, and she was a hand touch away from something shinier.  She'll be kicking herself for that hand touch no doubt.

#43 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

She got a bronze. Well done Jenny Jones. Team GB's first ever Olympic medal on snow apparently, and she was a hand touch away from something shinier.  She'll be kicking herself for that hand touch no doubt.

Very emotional to watch as well. Listening to the commentators showed how close knit the whole sport is.

Great achievement and a stunning event to watch.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#44 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Yep completely agree; really enjoyed it and great to see her picking up the Bronze...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#45 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Sadly Alain Baxter took a US Vicks or else he'd have had a bronze in Salt Lake City.  Poor chap.

Good to see a British medal even if it is in one of the X Games sports though.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#46 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

Good to see a British medal even if it is in one of the X Games sports though.

Did you see the TV programme on the history of the winter Olympics? 

Downhill skiing was once looked down upon as a sport and wasn't taken seriously by those countries which have snowy mountains.  Thanks to a Brit, that attitude changed and downhill skiing in all its forms is a blue ribband event.  Maybe one day so will slopestyle snowboarding.

Either way, tis our first ever Olympic medal on snow which after some 90 years of waiting is worth a bit of celebration I reckon.

#47 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Whilst accepting that it is true of all sport, I find winter sports a bit too contrived. It's like sports invented by committee trying to come up with new variations on stuff you can do on snow and ice.

LUNEW.jpg

#48 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

I watched the summer Olympics up until the road cycling. I was so inspired that I got the most usable bike out of the garage and missed most of the fortnight's action.

I don't think I'll be donning skates, skis, snowboards, etc.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#49 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Very emotional to watch as well. Listening to the commentators showed how close knit the whole sport is.

I ashamedly cheered when that poor Cech girl fell, only to suddenly realise that she was in a bad way........sorry Cech girl

#50 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Whilst accepting that it is true of all sport, I find winter sports a bit too contrived. It's like sports invented by committee trying to come up with new variations on stuff you can do on snow and ice.

Except downhill and cross country, surely?  People do ski in certain countries during the winter months just to get to work and the like. 

#51 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

Except downhill and cross country, surely? People do ski in certain countries during the winter months just to get to work and the like.

Absoutely, but it took a few public school Brits to reinvent it as a sport. Lots of people go to work on trains and buses - actually if we can make bus riding an Olympic event in the next 20 years I reckon I'm in for a shout at a medal!

LUNEW.jpg

#52 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

I ashamedly cheered when that poor Cech girl fell, only to suddenly realise that she was in a bad way........sorry Cech girl

Helmets work!

I also "cheered" if someone stumbled or put their hand down on landing. Felt a bit guilty but it passed.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#53 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

At leastounded tea traying and Crresta running and ice brushing are not contrived sports .....ere...oh....

So what if "slopestyle " is new? For me it was great to see the enthusiasm, skill, camaraderie and sheer enjoyment of these mainly very young competitors. A breath of fresh air sweeping through the establishment orthodoxy of the old fart commentators. Ed Leigh a great commentator: "I can feel my pulse in my lower intestine", "she's got a smile that could make a hens egg hatch" "she's got a smile that could make bread rise."

#54 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

Czech, I don't think she's related to a Chelsea Goalkeeper who wears a scrum-cap

Anyone see the Russian Bronze medal speedskater undo her suit before forgetting she had nothing under it?

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#55 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

Anyone see the Russian Bronze medal speedskater undo her suit before forgetting she had nothing under it?

No, but haven't those women got some thighs on them!?!

LUNEW.jpg

#56 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

re: The Slopestyle commentary. There's a word for a middle-aged man from East Cheam or Swindon trying to sound like a educationally-backward Californian teenager. That word is 'pitiful', although I'm sure other opinions will be offered. I ended up watching it with the sound off and enjoyed it rather more, especially Jenny's result. The scoring does seem somewhat opaque, though.

Listening to Radio 5 in the morning, you'd have thought that Slopestyle was the only event of the day. They managed to mention it about once every minute. So let's hear it for Sven Kramer's majestic win in the 5,000 metres speed skating, wince as we see a 10k cross-country ski race described as a 'sprint' and acknowledge the total and utter legend that is Ole Einar Bjoerndalen. About 10-15 years older than anyone else in the field and he wins his 7th gold and 12th Olympic medal overall.

Edited by Futtocks, 10 February 2014 - 10:31 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#57 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

re: The Slopestyle commentary. There's a word for a middle-aged man from East Cheam or Swindon trying to sound like a educationally-backward Californian teenager. That word is 'pitiful', although I'm sure other opinions will be offered. I ended up watching it with the sound off and enjoyed it rather more, especially Jenny's result. The scoring does seem somewhat opaque, though.

Listening to Radio 5 in the morning, you'd have thought that Slopestyle was the only event of the day. They managed to mention it about once every minute. So let's hear it for Sven Kramer's majestic win in the 5,000 metres speed skating, wince as we see a 10k cross-country ski race described as a 'sprint' and acknowledge the total and utter legend that is Ole Einar Bjoerndalen. About 10-15 years older than anyone else in the field and he wins his 7th gold and 12th Olympic medal overall.

I caught Sven Kramer's performance which I thought was just so impressive.  Holding back from the pace for the opening 3/4 and then just effortlessly blitzing for the final 1/4.

I have no issue with contrived sports given that all sports are contrived.  I find the X Games a bit tedious and take some convincing about sports with vague subjective scoring methods - in that intersection lives slopestyle and others.  I enjoyed what I saw, found the commentary to be utterly useless in explaining what was going on but I wouldn't have carried on watching without a Brit being in the running.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#58 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

The commentary had me in stitches, I felt like I was hanging out with some teenage skateboarders round the back of Morrison's.

I liked the event though, some of the tricks the men were doing were totes rad.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#59 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

The commentary had me in stitches, I felt like I was hanging out with some teenage skateboarders round the back of Morrison's.

kool!

#60 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hella gnarly, bro!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users