Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Winter Olympics

GB Medals

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

I've turned it off, despite it being teh final.  The whole of the curling competition has been  brilliant...and then Cram joined in with his inane blather and continuous talking about ###### all.. He needs to shut the ###### up and let us hear what teh team are saying. He needs to learn the value of silence in a commentary, a value that we would praise very highly in Cram. I've tried turning the sound off but then you lose the value of hearing the players and of Jackie Lockhart's commentary.  Jeez Cram gets on my nerves, Get rid NOW!!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

In defence of Steve Cram, I (and no doubt many others) am following this match on the iPlayer but, being at the office, have other things on screen, like work. As I am mainly relying on the audio, not the video, Cram & Co. are keeping me pretty well updated.

Edited by Futtocks, 21 February 2014 - 02:56 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#102 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

In defence of Cram? Eddies, Stevo, Ray French, Eddie Waring, Ian RRRRRRRRRRobertson, Assclown and Jones wrapped up in one detestable package.   I'm warming to my theme. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

#103 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

I've turned it off, despite it being teh final.  The whole of the curling competition has been  brilliant...and then Cram joined in with his inane blather and continuous talking about ###### all.. He needs to shut the ###### up and let us hear what teh team are saying. He needs to learn the value of silence in a commentary, a value that we would praise very highly in Cram. I've tried turning the sound off but then you lose the value of hearing the players and of Jackie Lockhart's commentary.  Jeez Cram gets on my nerves, Get rid NOW!!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Are you related to Cram?

#104 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

GB men getting a bit of a beating from Canada in the final. :(

Stone me.

#105 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Towel thrown in. Gold to Canada.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#106 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,398 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Towel thrown in. Gold to Canada.

"I'm disappointed now but a silver medal is scarily cool. I think I'll appreciate it in about 10 minutes." - Skip Murdoch

Good on him.  Must hurt to have blown it so early in the final but, blinkin' 'eck, to come through such a tough round robin and end with a silver medal.  Well done all.

• GeordieSaint likes this
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#107 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

I've turned it off, despite it being teh final.  The whole of the curling competition has been  brilliant...and then Cram joined in with his inane blather and continuous talking about ###### all.. He needs to shut the ###### up and let us hear what teh team are saying. He needs to learn the value ... of ...

Cram needs to learn the value of humility and respect for competitors. He knows knack all about curling but had no hesitation in calling the GB performance embarrassing. They got a silver, the same as he did in the 1500m. I wonder if he would be happy if someone had called his performance that day an embarrassment.

He's an arrogant cock.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#108 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

GB did make a lot of mistakes though. They will be happy with their medal, but not happy at all with their performance.

Oddly, the women's Bronze felt more immediately uplifting, because their campaign finished with a win.

#109 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

It'll all be over on Sunday, and the vast majority of the nation will become a Footballing monoculture again. :( 

On the upside, the BBC have the World Track Cycling Championships, starting on Wednesday. :) 

#110 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

It'll all be over on Sunday, and the vast majority of the nation will become a Footballing monoculture again. :(

On the upside, the BBC have the World Track Cycling Championships, starting on Wednesday. :)

You spoke well. The media will be gearing up to pump up the soccer coverage as ever, leaving a lot of us a little flat.

World Indoor Athletics to come on 7-9 March.

#111 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,398 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

GB did make a lot of mistakes though. They will be happy with their medal, but not happy at all with their performance.

Oddly, the women's Bronze felt more immediately uplifting, because their campaign finished with a win.

They noted at the women's flower ceremony that the bronze and gold medalists were smiling - silver were just crestfallen.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#112 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

I'm looking forward to that enormously - hopefully the start of an exceptional year of cycling in and for GB.

#113 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

I have enjoyed these games. Sadly not seen a huge amount due to work commitments but enjoyed everything I have managed to see (bar the figure skating...!). I'll definitely be watching a bit more of the female snowboarding me thinks...!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#114 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

I really enjoyed the games, it is such a pity that the BBC commentators were made to look idiots time and time again because the Beeb do not cover enough winter sports to get the commentators experience, Ice Hockey was good, as were Skeleton, and Curling, but that probably because (apart from Hockey) we had a chance of a medal, Downhill skiing was well covered because of Ski Sunday, but the rest of the commentary was shambolic, with commentators either getting competitors wrong, or information hopelessly useless, and as for the number of times they mentioned "Cool Runnings" when the Jamaican Bobsleigh duo were on, it was getting emabarassing.

And if I hear about Torville & ####ing Dean once more I will throw a brick through the hospital ward telly. Robin Cousins was there, but they didn't mention John Curry once, I wonder if it's because he died of an AIDS related illness?

Edit: In my rant mode I forgot to offer my Congratulations to both Canadian Ice Hockey teams, the Men beating Sweden 3-0 was a cracker of a game, and to John Jackson in GB1 Bob who only finished 0.11 seonds behind a bronze medal in 5th place.

Edited by Bleep1673, 23 February 2014 - 07:16 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#115 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

Enjoyed it thoroughly....the whole event, the individual events, though to be fair i didn't watch the ballroom skating.

Wasn't that enamoured with the somewhat random switching of tv coverage: BBC 2 /ch 301/ch302.and might have been useful to have an on Screen indication of live or repeat.

Oh, and did i mention this? Steve Cram ruined the curling with his inane blathering .

Edited by JohnM, 24 February 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#116 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

I'm looking forward to that enormously - hopefully the start of an exceptional year of cycling in and for GB.

The downside being that it seems that there will be much less TV coverage this year, unless late deals have yet to be signed.

#117 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

I enjoyed what I saw of the Winter Olympics. For me, the best bit of the closing ceremony was the humorous, self deprecating nod to the technical failure in the opening ceremony when the fifth Olympic 'snowflake' ring failed to open.

As a novice in all matters winter sport, I didn't mind the BBC commentaries at all, as they were probably pitched at casual viewers like me, but I know from watching Rugby League coverage how irritating it is when you do know your stuff and can tell when the commentators are getting things wrong. However, I thought Dame Clare captained the BBC ship superbly with her trademark enthusiasm and genuine interest in the achievements of the athletes taking part.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#118 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,535 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

I believe the commentators have come in for a fair bit of stick, and rightly so imho. They are ok for 5 minutes, but then they just started to come across as the kind of people you'd come across playing xbox live.
I watched half pipe snowboarding and as this impressive sportsman was stood at the top for the most important ride of his life, the expert commentator felt the need to tell us that the lad had'eyebrows of a model'. Ffs, grow up. I like light-hearted, but if I want to hear a load of ###### while watching ill go to the pub and sit with drunkatds.

#119 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

I don't think some of the clips in this are exactly funny as the title would have it but anyway...:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/26297601

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users