Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who'd be in Nick Clegg's shoes...

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

It's not often these days I feel any twang of sympathy for Nick Clegg, but he does seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place with regard to Milord Rennard, who seems a rum old cove and not willing to leave the political stage, gracefully or otherwise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25820928

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

You can dismiss the loony left and the swivel eyed loonies on the right, but an alleged predatory dirty old man is a different problem altogether to deal with, especially when they haven't nailed him.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

You can dismiss the loony left and the swivel eyed loonies on the right, but an alleged predatory dirty old man is a different problem altogether to deal with, especially when they haven't nailed him.

Why were such matters left to an internal party investigation, rather than the police, that's the bit I don't understand. An attempt to sweep it quietly under the carpet, perhaps, but the outcome hasn't settled anything, just made it worse for all involved.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

Why were such matters left to an internal party investigation, rather than the police, that's the bit I don't understand. An attempt to sweep it quietly under the carpet, perhaps, but the outcome hasn't settled anything, just made it worse for all involved.

There does seem to be an element of the investigators coming to a conclusion they weren't briefed to come to thus leaving the Party with some difficult decisions.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

#It's my party, and I'll grope if I want to.

Fondle if I want to, leer if I want to.

You would sue too if it happened to you#

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

I wouldn't want to be in Nick Clegg's shoes. They smell worse than the rest of him.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,402 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

It's not often these days I feel any twang of sympathy for Nick Clegg, but he does seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place with regard to Milord Rennard, who seems a rum old cove and not willing to leave the political stage, gracefully or otherwise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25820928

who seems a rum old cove

how diplomatic!

#8 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,867 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

The police investigated but found there was no case to answer.

And the internal LibDem investigation found that the allegations were "broadly credible".

What does the word "broadly" mean in that context.

Surely the allegations were either credible or they weren't.

I heard an interview on Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 show yesterday with one of the female complainants.

She was interviewed some years ago by Rennard when she was a 30-year-old candidate. What her allegation amounts to was that he was too familiar with her.

You might have thought that such a problem would be easily dealt with there and then. She could surely have told him to back off, or something even stronger.

We are in danger of arriving at a position whereby any attempt by a male to chat up a female is capable of being interpreted as sexual harassment.

Respect for women is very important, but let's not involve lawyers in every aspect of human relationships.

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,402 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

The police investigated but found there was no case to answer.

And the internal LibDem investigation found that the allegations were "broadly credible".

What does the word "broadly" mean in that context.

Surely the allegations were either credible or they weren't.

I heard an interview on Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 show yesterday with one of the female complainants.

She was interviewed some years ago by Rennard when she was a 30-year-old candidate. What her allegation amounts to was that he was too familiar with her.

You might have thought that such a problem would be easily dealt with there and then. She could surely have told him to back off, or something even stronger.

We are in danger of arriving at a position whereby any attempt by a male to chat up a female is capable of being interpreted as sexual harassment.

Respect for women is very important, but let's not involve lawyers in every aspect of human relationships.

it seems , though, that there has to be a a gap of between several and many years between the alleged event and the complaint.

When it comes to this sort of thing in tje political domain, maybe we have been conditioned by politicians into not actually believing anything anyone says.

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,402 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

One of the alleged victims, Bridget Harris, said: "When I worked in the whips' office I had 10 male MPs who behaved completely inappropriately to me. It's far from unusual for researchers to have their bottoms pinched and to be kissed on the lips."

See http://www.theguardi...ms-lord-rennard

#11 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,867 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

One of the alleged victims, Bridget Harris, said: "When I worked in the whips' office I had 10 male MPs who behaved completely inappropriately to me. It's far from unusual for researchers to have their bottoms pinched and to be kissed on the lips."

See http://www.theguardi...ms-lord-rennard

In that article she says the following.

"Parliament is a place of blind ignorance, stuffed with racists and sexists and they are all idiots and they are accepted. And that's why I walked away. I was actually wasting my time."

If those are her views, I'm not sure her judgement should be trusted.

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

it seems , though, that there has to be a a gap of between several and many years between the alleged event and the complaint.

When it comes to this sort of thing in tje political domain, maybe we have been conditioned by politicians into not actually believing anything anyone says.

The woman that Martyn is on about lodged a formal complaint with The Lib Dem management at the time of the incident. She hasn't just raked this up from the back of her memory.

#13 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,867 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

The woman that Martyn is on about lodged a formal complaint with The Lib Dem management at the time of the incident. She hasn't just raked this up from the back of her memory.

Did they investigate at the time?

Presumably they would have had to do.

So what action did they take?

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,402 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

We live in different times now, post Savil, post Hall, post  Catholic scandal, and it is to be hoped that the sort of behaviour alleged no longer takes place, not because people are more likely to speak out, but because it is actually wrong.  I do know it happens as a friend of mine personally experienced it from a" Pillar of (local) Society" many years ago. 

Then again,she did say "I had 10 male MPs who behaved completely inappropriately to me." but did she do anything at the time? She doesn't seem to be one who would just accept it.

Edited by JohnM, 22 January 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

She was being interviewed for a job?  Why the F should he chat her up?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#16 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,867 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

She was being interviewed for a job?  Why the F should he chat her up?

Absolutely no reason at all.

I was making that comment more generally.

#17 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

Absolutely no reason at all.

I was making that comment more generally.

But this affair is not "general". He's not accused of "chatting up" a woman in a pub. He's accused of using his position of power to sexually harras women in the workplace.

LUNEW.jpg

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,402 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

but has been cleared  via due process?  I guess who you believe is dictated by who you want to believe and why.

#19 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,867 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

But this affair is not "general". He's not accused of "chatting up" a woman in a pub. He's accused of using his position of power to sexually harras women in the workplace.

That's right, and Padge points out that she complained at the time.

So what happened to that complaint?

Was sexual harassment shown to have occurred?

#20 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

The whole thing has been handled badly. Lord R has been found guilty and abused in public by the leaders of the party. The offence has been investigated and found to have insufficient evidence. None of this should have been aired in public.

He probably is one of those creepy men who thinks it's OK to make inappropriate comments to young women.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users