Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pull up a sandbag

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Some of you on here have been supporting the club for a long time, through thick and thin. You will have no doubt seen many highs and lows and people come and go.

But what game resonates with you the most? What one game sticks with you the most, and why? Let's pull up a sandbag and discuss our great club and throw around some good (or not so good) memories.

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

#2 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

The best performance i have ever seen from a Dewsbury side was the 1973 playoff game at featherstone rovers when a very good fev side were completey destroyed by a free flowing and technicaly brilliant dewsbury team on the day . The most committed performance i have witnessed was the following game , the semi final when Dewsbury narrowly defeated a big powerful and at times barbaric warrington side with a gritty dogged and heroic display the like of which you see very rarely . 

#3 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

The most devastated I have been at a Dewsbury match was a 'play off match' I think v Oldham. Must have been about 1993 I would think.

We were losing all match until with 2 minutes to go we got a scrum about 15 metres out from their line. We put 'Big Glenn Bell' to stand off (when this was never normally done), and he barged his way over right next to the posts to draw the match.

Think it was Chris Wilkinson who was a great goalkicker, who managed to miss the simplest of conversions to win the match. I was a devastated kid at the time.

Actually think we went on to win the reply at Old Crown Flatt on  the following Wednesday.

#4 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

The most devastated I have been at a Dewsbury match was a 'play off match' I think v Oldham. Must have been about 1993 I would think.

We were losing all match until with 2 minutes to go we got a scrum about 15 metres out from their line. We put 'Big Glenn Bell' to stand off (when this was never normally done), and he barged his way over right next to the posts to draw the match.

Think it was Chris Wilkinson who was a great goalkicker, who managed to miss the simplest of conversions to win the match. I was a devastated kid at the time.

Actually think we went on to win the reply at Old Crown Flatt on the following Wednesday.

Kicker was Gregg Pearce

If my memory serves me right

Destroyed them in the replay on a nice sunny night at mount unpleasant

;)

#5 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

The most devastated i have been at a Dewsbury game stands head and shoulders above all others , the challenge cup semi final against Bradford at headingley in 1973. i had been as a young lad to almost every game from the age of about 10 until as a  sixteen year old dewsbury became long odds on favourites to get to wembley by beating northern as they were at the time , to put it in context bradford on the day were 16 point underdogs on the handicap .

We got beat , largely because of two factors ,firstly bernard watson of bradford maimed nigel stevenson out of the game early and then a bradford substitute dave treasure came on and played the game of his life .

When the final whistle blew  i stood static on the south stand totally numb and then i am not embarrased to say i broke out in tears and stood there blubbing and i wasnt on my own . although we reached the semi the following year we were no match for warrington so  that  semi against bradford was the best and realisticly  the last chance the club ever had of going to wembley . That saturday afternoon at headingley will haunt me until my eyes close for the last time .

#6 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

St Helens
Challenge cup game headingley
In the snow
Neil holding

Don't need to say anymore
We were all gutted that night

Headingley again
Hunslet grand final 1999
Only game where I came out, got on the bus,got Home,went to bed

And didn't say a word to anybody from leaving the ground to getting up the next morning..distraught wasn't the word.

Even thou the victory against hull kr
Only had a 3-2 score line that was a great match.

Also didn't we end huddersfield long unbeaten run... Somert like 13 games on the trott....I'm getting old and forget ;)

Edited by coolie, 22 January 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#7 Shipley Ram

Shipley Ram
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Dewsbury v Wigan 1993 at The Mount.
Wigan were at the time probably the best team in the world, but we're only beating us 6-0 at half time. They had some quality players on show including Jason Robinson. They eventually went on to beat us 20-4 with Darren Fleary scoring our try
RUGBY LEAGUE IS MY RELIGION.
CROWN FLATT IS MY CHURCH.

#8 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

And didn't say a word to anybody from leaving the ground to getting up the next morning..

If only you could have kept that up for the next 15 years the world would be such a better place!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#9 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

If only you could have kept that up for the next 15 years the world would be such a better place!

Would still have my fingers to talk with

And this middle ones for you ;)

And the other 2 are for the 25 Batley fans that really excite ;)

Sure Dave Copperfield does the crowd count at yours...

Its all done with mirrors ;)

:)

#10 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Dewsbury v Wigan 1993 at The Mount.
Wigan were at the time probably the best team in the world, but we're only beating us 6-0 at half time. They had some quality players on show including Jason Robinson. They eventually went on to beat us 20-4 with Darren Fleary scoring our try

That was the Challenge Cup match in which Shayne Williams took out good and hard (and fair) Wigan's hooker McCormack (think that was his name). The tackle was made near the start of the game and the Wigan player did not return to the field that day, such was the ferocity of the tackle (if that is what it could be called).
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#11 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

wrong crown flatter , that game was at owl lane , mccormack didnt know whether he was australian or klingon afterwards .

Edited by guest from down under, 22 January 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#12 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

mccormack didnt know whether he was australian or klingon afterwards .

I've heard the same comment about you GFDU at the Fox & Hounds!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#13 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

When we played London Broncos in the Snow at Owl Lane, (can't remember the year) I think we won 12-10. Also when Kevin Crouthers kicked a field goal and we beat Featherstone at home. The 2000 final when we beat Leigh thanks to a Richard Agar drop goal. 

#14 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

For me but I'm a lot younger as to be the 2000 grandfinal win over Leigh. Remember the nerves like it was yesterday..

#15 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 766 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Same era for me as GFDU. 15 year old lad in 1973 and the tears flowed after the defeat at Headingley. But the third round win at home to Wakefield, who had Topliss,Fox,etc in the line up was superb. Packed house, 15,000 I believe, recorded, hmm! Year after beating Leeds in the third round, Chalkley I think scoring the winning try. But once again like GFDU, Fev at Fev in the Championship run in was outstanding. They left Nash and Bridges on the bench thinking they basically only had to turn up. They soon  brought em on, but too little too late. Warrington in the semi was a day I 'll never forget. The atmosphere was electric and hostile but we held on and Acker controlled the great Alex Murphy all afternoon. But the final at Odsal was special. We were with Ken Crabtree on the day and I think Ken passed out briefly at the final whistle. 1974 was another good season. Australia at home (Artie Beetson and all), we lost, followed by Fev at home on Grandstand, cup winners v champions. We won. Good times.

#16 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

For me it's either 2000 grand final when we beat Leigh or the play off match against widnes in 2000 when they bought about 2 thousand over with them and Richard agar compolty kicked them to death.
If I remember rightly he kicked 6 fourty twenties and 6 drop goals in one match.
Haha always remember when shayne willams flattened the wigan player he never played again after that hit.
Other games stand out are last minute drop goal from Kev crouthres against fev the last minute try against Leigh under Andy Kelly I think in the challenge cup a few year ago.
Always the challenge cup match against london who were third in super league at time and we were bottom of the ladder in our league.
Always enjoyed when we played london skolars at home and Anthony England put there player in hostipal with one punch for gorging him haha :)

#17 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

quick little story about that cup game against london broncos , the game had been in big doubt all day due to snow and frost and at about 2.30ish we had to ring the rfl to send an official over to inspect the pitch . They sent ian mcgregor from huddersfield . ian arrived ,put his boots on and went out on the field . He returned a few moments later and said " do you really want to play this" i said yes we do we will never have a better chance of beating them than this . ian thought about it for a moment  then said " they wont like this those aussies game on "

Later on when london turned up they walked gingerley out onto the pitch and as terry matterson walked towards me shaking his head i said to him rarther cheekily " long way from a grand final this terry " , his look could have burnt me .

#18 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Good thing it about it most of them were top class Aussies at the time to who had just been recruited from the NRL they come over from like 30 odd degrees to minus and some of them had probably never seen snow before haha :)

#19 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Great reads lads even from a bulldog.

The national league decider televised on sky in 2006 must be up there. Widnes was a nervy place to be. Batley were lucky and I didnt smile for 75 mins.

Sheridan maloney rogers etc.

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#20 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Haha even our now head coach Glenn Morrison as memories of dewsbury. Is first match for bulls was a friendly at a mud bath tetleys stadium! Him and legend Steve Menzies made their debuts . We played brill that night and only lost 8-20 to a first team bulls, afew week before the start of our championship 1 promotion and winning every game along the way season. Glenn remembers it for the weather too lol

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 22 January 2014 - 08:55 PM.