RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pull up a sandbag

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

Great reads lads even from a bulldog.

The national league decider televised on sky in 2006 must be up there. Widnes was a nervy place to be. Batley were lucky and I didnt smile for 75 mins.

Sheridan maloney rogers etc.

yeah that was a good one! I also as a bad memory, remember losing at York 70 nil or 70-12 or something the year we had Sheridan Maloney jowitt and Rogers ect .. One x ram Danny brough destroyed us !

#22 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

One of my earliest memories of seeing the red amber and black in action was standing at the sugar lane end, must had been thousands in watching us take on the mighty Hull F.C with all their stars in the early 1980's in the last eight of the John Player or Regal Trophy,we lost but not by too much.Also enjoyed our time in the first division, winning at Halifax and Bradford Northern.

#23 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

It's a certain Monday evening match in Scarborough for me back in 1991in which a legend made his debut scoring with his first touch of the ball.

Or at Elland Road versus Hunslet where the same player picked the ball up in his own in goal area, saw a defender coming so went further into his in goal then out to beat ever player on the pitch with Dennis Bailey right behind him telling him to go under the posts.

#24 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Eddie rombo

#25 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

Not in any order but the last game at Crown Flatt v Barrow, just for the sadness of it all.

The playoff game v Widnes. That was the game Richard Agar kicked so many 40:20's. Their fans went potty starting fights in the southstand.

The game at POR v Fev where we hadn't won for 25 years (1997?). Leon Williamson scored a length of field try and did a tipple-over in front of the away fans. Absolutely hilarious.

The 2 grand finals. 

The Broncos game.

a 36-0 win over Hyton about 1980. I think Bernard Watson was coach (and my uncle). I'm a bit surprised Dewsbury hired him, although he had lived on Sugar Lane since the houses were built so the travel expenses were low! Saun Dunford, Bungalow (can I say that?) etc good memories, particularly since Dewsbury were poor at the time. I remember being in the players lounge with Clary (Bernards Dad). The smell of wintergreen, the sandwiches, and of course Keith Mason already dressed having been sent off. it was evocative.

Edited by Ackroman, 23 January 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#26 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

It's a certain Monday evening match in Scarborough for me back in 1991in which a legend made his debut scoring with his first touch of the ball.

Or at Elland Road versus Hunslet where the same player picked the ball up in his own in goal area, saw a defender coming so went further into his in goal then out to beat ever player on the pitch with Dennis Bailey right behind him telling him to go under the posts.

Still not sure if this happened or if it was a dream resulting from too much special brew and a dodgy pie BUT I seem to remember Tony Fishers first game in charge was away to Huddersfield.

The team that day had the fastest back division I've ever seen in Dewsbury colours, and included Eddie Rombo, Dennis Bailey, Eric ? Kebbie, and I think Marquis Charles. We put around forty points past a useful Huddersfield team in one of the most thrilling displays I'd ever seen by a Dewsbury side. The ever sporting fartowners , (McAlpiners if you like),blamed their teams display on everything from bent refs and touchies, to the bloke in the burger van outside. Those with good memories will remember the game and the team that day (maybe even name it) - if they don't, then this is the bit where I fall out of bed and wake up, :rolleyes:  

#27 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Still not sure if this happened or if it was a dream resulting from too much special brew and a dodgy pie BUT I seem to remember Tony Fishers first game in charge was away to Huddersfield.

The team that day had the fastest back division I've ever seen in Dewsbury colours, and included Eddie Rombo, Dennis Bailey, Eric ? Kebbie, and I think Marquis Charles. We put around forty points past a useful Huddersfield team in one of the most thrilling displays I'd ever seen by a Dewsbury side. The ever sporting fartowners , (McAlpiners if you like),blamed their teams display on everything from bent refs and touchies, to the bloke in the burger van outside. Those with good memories will remember the game and the team that day (maybe even name it) - if they don't, then this is the bit where I fall out of bed and wake up, :rolleyes:  

Seem to remember a few players were brought back into the fold for this game. If I remember correclty Chris North was playing wing and Andy Dickinson and Shayne Williams had stormers that day. We scored about 4 long range tries as well.

#28 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Another memory is from when we were 24 4 down at fev at ht and came back and snatched a draw

#29 db

db
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

Mighty Saints at crown flatt, 4-2 to saints with minutes left then a glorious move from the base of a scrum and full back Adrian Rushton scorched onto a short ball scything through the Saints defence and launched himself into a victorious swallow dive under the sticks then inexplicably drops the ball mid flight with no one near him, joy to despair in an instant. 71/72 season. Never seen us beat Saints to this day.

#30 creditwhereitsdews

creditwhereitsdews
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Best: Scarborough 16 - Dewsbury 17, 1991

Dewsbury (with Paul Shuttleworth sent off and Dennis Bailey sin-binned) 3 - Hull KR 2, circa 1989 (beating Division One Wakefield and Halifax in that period came close)

Beating Hull at home in 1996 with Barry Eaton running riot was good too.

Worst:

Runcorn Highfield 9 - Dewsbury 2, 1991

Did anyone here go to the Regal Trophy draw with Saints at Knowsley Road in about 1990? I didn't but I remember listening to it on the wireless.

#31 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Dewsbury (with Paul Shuttleworth sent off and Dennis Bailey sin-binned) 3 - Hull KR 2, circa 1989 (beating Division One Wakefield and Halifax in that period came close)

Worst:

Did anyone here go to the Regal Trophy draw with Saints at Knowsley Road in about 1990? I didn't but I remember listening to it on the wireless.

surely that's t'wireless?

#32 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

Worst:

Was that the game we drew 12 - 12, Saints scored late on to force a replay at Wakefield?

My memory is not what it was......

I do remember Denis Trembeth at Knowsley Road, in a XXXL Duffle Coat when on the Sub's bench, the sleeves only just passed his elbow...lol (I wonder what he is doing now?)

The Saints Players and Fans couldn't believe their eyes!!

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#33 creditwhereitsdews

creditwhereitsdews
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Yes, that would be the game. I was at the replay when they beat us by about 20-odd points, presumably after an almighty rollocking from Alex Murphy.

#34 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

Was that the game we drew 12 - 12, Saints scored late on to force a replay at Wakefield?

My memory is not what it was......

I do remember Denis Trembeth at Knowsley Road, in a XXXL Duffle Coat when on the Sub's bench, the sleeves only just passed his elbow...lol (I wonder what he is doing now?)

The Saints Players and Fans couldn't believe their eyes!!

There's a Dennis Trembath working for Speight's Brewery in New Zealand. It certainly looks like him. He moved from Christchurch to Dunedin after the 2011 earthquake.

http://www.odt.co.nz...fairfield-ideal

#35 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,544 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

My outstanding memories probably categorise me as a "glass half-full" type but I prefer to think that I simply err on the side of the ironic.

I do remember playing Keighley at home in 76 when all we had to do was gain a straightforward win to avoid a relegation struggle, playing against a side already condemned to the 2nd division. We lost as a part of a run of eight losses in 10 games which saw us go down by 2 points.

I recall watching a strong Dewsbury side (Stephenson, Grayshon, Alan Bates et al) throw away a comfortable lead at a vastly inferior Bramley to lose the game (Yorkshire cup?) thanks to downright laziness by players who simply thought they were superior on the day and didn't need to do any better.

I remember the delight of seeing us overcome Leeds at home under the brief leadership of Lewis Jones when Phil Artis demonstrated all of his maverick skills in one match. never really to be seen again.

I remember with some awe the crowd that saw us narrowly lose at home to St Helens in the late 70's in the Challenge Cup which seemed to completely engulf Crown Flatt yet was said to number only around 12000.

I was at our defeat by Runcorn in March 91 when they broke the then-longest run without a win in professional RL by defeating us 9-2. Everything about that day was pretty awful - it attracted a crowd of 330 yet they still ran out of pies before the kick off and the rain teemed through the perforated stand roof throughout.

I gleefully remember Neil Kelly laying out the Keighley hooker (Ramshaw?) at Lawkholme Lane then simply walking off the pitch before the referee had chance to say a thing.

I remember the Cardiff coach driver playing for them in the second half of their only game against us at Crown Flatt, and playing as well as the rest of them.

I shudder to remember Dicky Doel nearly taking Nigel Stephenson's head off when playing for Blackpool who had turned up a man short. Fortunately in those days referees had a sense of humour and could see the incongruity of sending off a players for committing such a foul against his own team, so he got away with a warning.

The outstanding highlight however has to be our game against Rochdale in January 83 which ended up at 0 - 0 and was surely a living advert for all of the glories to be gained from winter RL. If you were there then you will recall what I mean, and if you weren't then it could never be adequately described. A veil would best be drawn over that one.

Many, many happy days!!

Edited by Blind side johnny, 24 January 2014 - 02:49 PM.

• Piggy's mate likes this
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#36 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Mighty Saints at crown flatt, 4-2 to saints with minutes left then a glorious move from the base of a scrum and full back Adrian Rushton scorched onto a short ball scything through the Saints defence and launched himself into a victorious swallow dive under the sticks then inexplicably drops the ball mid flight with no one near him, joy to despair in an instant. 71/72 season. Never seen us beat Saints to this day.

Oh I remember it well.

#37 db

db
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Another one from the championship season, a Wednesday night a Central Park, Wigan. Scores locked at 7-7 (or 9-9 can't remember exactly), last couple of minutes and Nigel Stephenson launches a drop kick from 40 yards, my abiding memory is of him turning away as soon as it left his boot knowing full well where it was going. As an 11 year old I thought all this was normal!

#38 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

So many moments on which to reflect.

The four Challenge Cup semi-final defeats.

Losing at Runcorn, when the day before Glen Coughlan confidently told me in Comet that we would NOT lose.

The 3-2 defeat of HKR that rainy Thursday evening with Dave Watkinson as our captain and he of countless years with Hull Kingston, plus the sending off of Psul Shuttleworth.

The 0-0 draw with Rochdale.

The 1-0 win over York with Nigel Stephenson scoring the first ever one pointer (I think).

Eddie Rombo's tries at Scarborough on his debut with his first touch of the ball wearing the Red, Amber and Black and the game's last handling moment. His try at Hunslet and his slurp of a supporter's champagne after one of his tries in the 90-5 victory over Blackpool.

Beating Wigan at Central Park when the Wigan players stopped to hear the referee blow his whistle for a forward pass, which didn't happen and we scored. Meeting my hero, Billy Boston, in the club house afterwards.

Winning at Saints 12-7 with a supporter claiming after the game that they had seven players missing. He was surprised when I told him we had the same number out and that our star player, Bernard Gray, at full back, was one of our second teasers playing that night.

Grand final winners in 2000 was an amazing game, after losing to Hunslet the previous year.

Winning the Championship in 1973 was obviously the culmination of a great season with an excellent set of players.

Yet my overriding reminiscence is the semi-final that year at Warrington. That was a superb team event where the saying "defence wins games" was certainly borne out.

Edited by Crown Flatter, 11 February 2014 - 10:26 PM.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

#39 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Another one from the championship season, a Wednesday night a Central Park, Wigan. Scores locked at 7-7 (or 9-9 can't remember exactly), last couple of minutes and Nigel Stephenson launches a drop kick from 40 yards, my abiding memory is of him turning away as soon as it left his boot knowing full well where it was going. As an 11 year old I thought all this was normal!

Your not exaggerating either I remember it just as you have described.

#40 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

My first ever Dewsbury game was against St Helens in the Challenge Cup 1977. I am not quite sure of the score. We lost but it wasn't by much. It was the game that got me hooked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users