Pull up a sandbag

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

My first ever Dewsbury game was against St Helens in the Challenge Cup 1977. I am not quite sure of the score. We lost but it wasn't by much. It was the game that got me hooked.

Busiest I ever saw crown flatts
It was jammed...

Also first time I saw trouble at a game too behind the long stand.

#42 mahtsalleh

mahtsalleh
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

Not necessarily the best game, but a memorable one, for me, was at a packed Crown Flatt against a Wakefield side in their pomp in the days of the Fox/Skene centre pairing, perhaps a Yorkshire Cup Semi-Final, with a one-eyed referee who penalized Dewsbury if they so much as breathed too loudly. In spite of his best efforts, Dewsbury were holding on to a one-point lead until the ref gave a penalty to Trinity in front of the posts which Neil Fox duly slotted over.

As they reformed at the halfway line for the subsequent kick-off, Gwynn Davies did what every Dewsbury supporter in the crowd would have loved to do at that very moment, and caught the referee with a beautiful roundhouse, flush on the jaw.

Thus ended Davies' RL career, as he got a sine die suspension for that particular, but very understandable, indiscretion.

I also fully endorse those mentions of the championship play-off semi-final at the Wilderspool. Warrington had a fully-equipped refreshments stand operating on the Dewsbury 25 yard-line (in spite of the then-recent advent of decimalization that's what we still called it in those days) for virtually the entire second half, but the Dewsbury defence was truly impregnable. The Americans may talk about the Alamo, the Filipinos may talk about Corregidor, the British about Rorke's Drift, but this beat them all in terms of defensive tactics and effort.   It was absolutely heart stopping, with so many apparently impossible last ditch tackles, that to single out any one would be an injustice to a hundred more.

Days like that make you forget the other 99% of the time when you come away from the ground muttering "never again"!

Anyway, as I monitor events from afar via the ether, I hope that the pre-season optimism is fully justified, starting with a victory over Fev tomorrow in the hurricane season you're currently enduring. It does seem that there is better reason for eager anticipation of the season's start than has been the case for a few years. I have to rely on you guys' best assessments so I'm hoping that you're right!   

#43 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Not necessarily the best game, but a memorable one, for me, was at a packed Crown Flatt against a Wakefield side in their pomp in the days of the Fox/Skene centre pairing, perhaps a Yorkshire Cup Semi-Final, with a one-eyed referee who penalized Dewsbury if they so much as breathed too loudly. In spite of his best efforts, Dewsbury were holding on to a one-point lead until the ref gave a penalty to Trinity in front of the posts which Neil Fox duly slotted over.

As they reformed at the halfway line for the subsequent kick-off, Gwynn Davies did what every Dewsbury supporter in the crowd would have loved to do at that very moment, and caught the referee with a beautiful roundhouse, flush on the jaw.

Thus ended Davies' RL career, as he got a sine die suspension for that particular, but very understandable, indiscretion.

I also fully endorse those mentions of the championship play-off semi-final at the Wilderspool. Warrington had a fully-equipped refreshments stand operating on the Dewsbury 25 yard-line (in spite of the then-recent advent of decimalization that's what we still called it in those days) for virtually the entire second half, but the Dewsbury defence was truly impregnable. The Americans may talk about the Alamo, the Filipinos may talk about Corregidor, the British about Rorke's Drift, but this beat them all in terms of defensive tactics and effort.   It was absolutely heart stopping, with so many apparently impossible last ditch tackles, that to single out any one would be an injustice to a hundred more.

Days like that make you forget the other 99% of the time when you come away from the ground muttering "never again"!

Anyway, as I monitor events from afar via the ether, I hope that the pre-season optimism is fully justified, starting with a victory over Fev tomorrow in the hurricane season you're currently enduring. It does seem that there is better reason for eager anticipation of the season's start than has been the case for a few years. I have to rely on you guys' best assessments so I'm hoping that you're right!   

I was there, and TBH, I can hardly remember the match. Strangely enough, my one overiding memory, was of one belligerent Dewsbury fan informing an equally belligerent and very hefty Warrington woman that she had more mouth than a cow had .... well best not to go there, but it was the first time I'd heard really bad language at a match though. Had the crowd in stitches (even the good ladies husband seemed amused) but not to be condoned I suppose. I left the ground ecstatic, but with little recollection of the game, and of course the subsequent celebrations didn't help my memory of events.

#44 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

It was jammed...

Yes! I recall the gridlock coming up the hill and I recall some crowd trouble behind the sticks at The Bywell end.

#45 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

It was jammed...

We lost 11 - 8 and I believe that the gate was announced as 11,000 which was lower than the previous game against Wakefield. This was in the days when the gates were simply counted mechanically and the money collected in bags by committee members, so many an eyebrow was raised at the declared attendance.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users