Rugby League World
League Express
Garry Schofield Testimonial Brochure (Signed)

Photo
- - - - -

Book thread: what are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#261 tomdooley

tomdooley
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:37 PM

He normally makes the effort to visit the places he is writing about to try and get a feel for what it might have been like. While his books are not really challenging reads and never likely to achieve the more prestigious awards reserved for the more weird and wonderful authors out there, I think he writes a gripping story and develops interesting characters while at least following historical events reasonably accurately. 

Try Patrick Obriens jack Aubrey  novels of the 18th cent british navy. As good as jane Austin

#262 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,517 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

And, of course, George McDonald Fraser's 'Flashman' books. Well-researched and extensively footnoted and appendixed.

And he can write a battle scene better than just about anybody.

Between the optimist & the pessimist
The difference is quite droll:
The optimist sees the doughnut,
The pessimist sees the hole.

#263 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,517 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

Trepidation! After a lot of humming and hemming and hawing, I have decided to try Maeve Gilmore's conclusion to her husband's 'Gormenghast' trilogy. Well, it was interesting, and worth a re-read sometime soon. She's a good writer, albeit no Mervyn Peake, but she catches some of the feel of the original books to an extent. It won't ruin 'Gormenghast' for fans. I rather liked it.

Next up, George Clinton's biography 'Brothas be, yo like George, ain't that Funkin' kinda hard on you?' I'm a few chapters in, and it is interesting and very readable, despite the mess of a title.

#264 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,517 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

Next up, George Clinton's biography 'Brothas be, yo like George, ain't that Funkin' kinda hard on you?' I'm a few chapters in, and it is interesting and very readable, despite the mess of a title.

Finished this - a very good read.

Now dipping into Victor Lewis-Smith's entertainingly poisonous compilation 'TV Reviews'. Included is this gag: "As part of the overall settlement, Paul McCartney bought Heather a plane. Although I think she still uses a razor for the other leg."  :biggrin: 

#265 tomdooley

tomdooley
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:00 PM

claire Tomalin    charles Dickens biography.She leaves no stone unturned terrific read.

I have also read her samuel Pepys,and her thomas Hardy.

Love Hardy,s books.

#266 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:27 PM

I tend to spend much of my time writing novels rather than reading them but broke off recently for a while to read "Rugby Football: A United Game". It's a novel based around the idea what might have happened if the northern clubs had been in the majority in 1895. It should interest most people who have contributed above. No one yet however seems to have read my latest novel "Two Seasons" with its background of  "Work, Family, Old Friends and Rugby League". I would certainly be interested in some feedback.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#267 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

If you want something short to read for a few hours one afternoon, I can recommend 'Foster' by Claire Keegan. It's wonderfully written and leaves enough questions unanswered to capture your imagination.

Follow me on Twitter: @VDawsonRL

#268 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 25,517 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:31 PM

Paul Brickhill - The Dambusters. I haven't read this in decades, but the author's pacey style and eye for humorous anecdotes and dialogue works as well as ever. He mixes the cold-blooded heroism with tales of the entertainingly disgraceful fun that young men with little life-expectancy got up to after a few drinks.

After the Ruhr dams, the interlinked story of 617 Squadron and Barnes Wallis continues, with the V1 rocket bases, the Tirpitz raid and other campaigns, where they continued to re-write the rules on accurate and effective bombing, leading up to the use of the 'Tall Boy' and 'Grand Slam' earthquake bomb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users