RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hull's second KC stadium

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

Don't think anyone else has posted this yet. Hull KR fans, what do you think? http://www.totalrl.c...ce-new-sponsor/

• GeordieSaint likes this
TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#2 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Is KC Lightstream a distant cousin of KC and The Sunshine Band?
  • Joe Whitley likes this
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#3 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

It reminds me of when both clubs were probably the top two teams in the league.One announced they were going to run another team 'Hull white Star"?or something like that then Hull KR straight away said they would do the same.

• Joe Whitley likes this
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Well, this won't be confusing at all!
  • Joe Whitley likes this

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

For at least the next five years, and starting at the Robins’ first home game against Leeds on February 16, the historic ground will carry the branding of KC’s new broadband internet service.

Historic ground?!?!  :blink: 

WTF?

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#6 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

For at least the next five years, and starting at the Robins’ first home game against Leeds on February 16, the historic ground will carry the branding of KC’s new broadband internet service.

WTF?

That "historic" is a bit strange, I agree.

However, just out of badness (and to wind you up  :tongue: ), which ground is actually more historic - the KC or New C.P.?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#7 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

That "historic" is a bit strange, I agree.

However, just out of badness (and to wind you up  :tongue: ), which ground is actually more historic - the KC or New C.P.?

I have never claimed the KC stadium is historic.

Next question.

#8 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

I have never claimed the KC stadium is historic.

Next question.

Whose round is it next time I'm in Hull? :)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#9 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

Are both these grounds owned by the council?

#10 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

But,but,but Hull isn't big enough for two SL teams and there is only enough sponsorship, juniors and spectators to support one team etc etc.

Some posters who support this view will be upset by this development.

Wait until Hull City pull the Premier League first claim on the KC 1 stadium trick and FC have to play a home game at KC2. It should be interesting.

#11 DimmestStar

DimmestStar
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:49 AM

Are both these grounds owned by the council?

Yes both grounds are owned by the council.

But there is a massive difference because Hull Kingston Rovers acquired a 99 year leasehold on the stadium giving them exclusive use and they benefit from all income generated at the stadium including stadium naming rights. Also bar takings, etc etc everything in fact for 99 years. The KC Lightstream Stadium (formerly Craven Park) is a Rugby League stadium for the exclusive use of Hull KR for the next 99 years. And in all probability long after that.

Hull FC simply pay rent to play at the KC nothing more. In fact a large proportion of their gate receipts go to the stadium management company which is owned by Hull City AFC. Hull City AFC pretty much rule the roost and they have told Hull FC they cannot play at the stadium for a large part of this summer because they want the pitch reseeding.

Just look at the lopsided fixtures of Hull FC this season ...they have had to ask teams to reverse fixtures to accommodate Hull City AFC. Hull FC play every single game in Hull from 16 March to 23 May  so that they can then stay away from the stadium for 2 months on the orders of Hull City AFC.

Rovers had those type of issues too until in 2005 when Neil Hudgell won his first and biggest battle. He wouldn't invest a penny of his money in a ground owned by others. Understandably.

It was only after acquiring the long term lease in 2005 that Rovers started investing in the stadium starting with eviction of greyhound and speedway and the subsequent laying of a new longer wider pitch, new drainage system, new floodlights, refurbishment of main stand, extension to East stand adding 1,200 and now the opening of the £8.5m all seater North Stand. Plans are well advanced for the South End which WILL happen in the next 2/3 years giving Rovers a 4 sided fantastic Rugby League stadium with a capacity of around 14,000.

Without the long term lease Rovers & Hudgell would not have been willing to make this huge investment or been able to attract partners for the North & South Stands.

Don't get me wrong, Hull FC play in a magnificent stadium which is a fantastic asset for the city of Kingston Upon Hull. As a Rovers supporter I enjoy going there for the away derby and being part of the 20,000 or thereabouts crowd. It's brilliant. But Hull FC have no stake in the stadium they must pay Hull City AFC owner Assam Allam to hire his stadium 13 times a year.

So the bottom line is that the KC stadium could be the McDonalds stadium or the Coca Cola stadium and it wouldn't matter a fig to Hull FC. They get nowt whatever it's called. It's not their stadium.

For Rovers it matters a lot. The deal to rename Craven Park as the (KC) Lightstream stadium is very lucrative indeed. It's a fantastic 5 year deal for Rovers. Kingston Communications (KC) are already a big sponsor of all 3 professional clubs in the city although many RL fans wrongly associate them exclusively with Hull FC.

In summary KC is Kingston Communications (apologies to those who know the rest). KC was previously Hull Telephones - bizarrely the City of Kingston-upon-Hull has always had it's own telephone network when the rest of the country was BT and before that the Post Office. That's why Hull has white/cream telephone boxes when the rest of the nation had red.

To cut a long story short........years later Hull City Council sold off this asset which became Kingston Communications (KC) and realised enough funds to build the £43m KC stadium and more. It was for the whole of the city but had to be built somewhere and the available land happened to be in West Hull. HKR were offered the same chance as Hull City AFC & Hull Sharks (as they were then) to play in the new stadium. Rovers declined wishing to remain a East Hull club.

That's all water under the bridge. But Kingston Communications (KC) serve the whole of the city and they have been sponsoring Rovers for a good while and have been looking to be associated equally with all parts of the sporting city.

Lightstream is the ultra fast broadband service offered by Kingston Communications (KC).

Now I know that RL fans by their own admission cannot understand the new league structure. (play everyone twice and then once again...ooh my brain hurts) so here we go....

......Hull FC play at the KC stadium and Hull KR play at the KC Lightstream stadium. Oh it's so difficult......

• flyingking likes this

#12 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,157 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

To cut a long story short.........

If only you had. Rovers fans still have that Napoleon Complex it seems.

Plans are well advanced for the South End which WILL happen in the next 2/3 years giving Rovers a 4 sided fantastic Rugby League stadium with a capacity of around 14,000.

Just like the North Stand was supposed to be ready for 2009? And the East Stand finished by 2008? What's happening with the East a Stand anyway? Are they ever finishing that off?

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC, 25 January 2014 - 07:43 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Whose round is it next time I'm in Hull? :)

Mine, I imagine. :rolleyes:   :(

#14 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Wait until Hull City pull the Premier League first claim on the KC 1 stadium trick and FC have to play a home game at KC2. It should be interesting.

I'm fairly certain there is an agreement in place where the club at the most critical part of their respective season plays their fixture on the original date and the other has to accommodate. This has certainly happened in the past when Hull FC's fixture was looked on favourably and the football club moved theirs. However, I'm also fairly certain that was when the football team were in the Championship or lower, so how the Premier League would view this remains to be seen.

Hull FC simply pay rent to play at the KC nothing more. In fact a large proportion of their gate receipts go to the stadium management company which is owned by Hull City AFC. Hull City AFC pretty much rule the roost and they have told Hull FC they cannot play at the stadium for a large part of this summer because they want the pitch reseeding.

I can't argue with much of the rest of your post but this bit is simply incorrect.

The Stadium Management Company (SMC) is run by the football club on a 50 year lease. They don't own it. 

It obviously follows that, as the SMC rule the roost, the football club will follow suit and do pretty much what they want within the terms of the agreement.

This is currently rather skewed however, seeing as the football club is currently owned by an egotistical nutjob who has personal vendettas against the owner of the rugby club and Hull City Council who own the stadium.

One thing is for certain, had Adam Pearson owned Hull FC when the stadium was built instead of a bunch of fly by nights, Hull FC would now have a 50% stake in the SMC and it would be far better run and in the interests of both clubs and your average Joe Public person living in East Yorkshire, as concerts would probably still take place there as well.

Pearson stated last Wednesday that he has no idea how the SMC has run at a substantial loss every season from when he was last chairman of the football club when, at that time, it was run at a substantial profit.

As far as the SMC is concerned, things started going downhill rapidly when that other nutjob, Paul Duffen ran Hull City and the SMC with Russell Barteltt's money. How Hull FC were ever going to get a fair crack when he once publicly stated that Rugby League fans can't read, Lord only knows. Duffen ran the SMC as if only the football club existed and that appears to continue at the moment.

#15 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

will make life easier when the merger comes. Hull Robins will play out of the KC Lightstream Stadium and the old Hull fans will be admitted if they get rid of their shell suits

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

and a Happy New Year to you too.  :onthequiet:

#17 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Mine, I imagine. :rolleyes:   :(

It's not just your imagination.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#18 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Yes both grounds are owned by the council.

But Hull FC have no stake in the stadium they must pay Hull City AFC owner Assam Allam to hire his stadium 13 times a year.

Make your mind up.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#19 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,157 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

Make your mind up.

Basically a Rovers troll unfortunately. That chip on his shoulder must tire him out.
Posted Image

#20 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

WTF?

It was more about the name than the ground. Clearly the current stadium is only 25 years old but the name Craven Park has been used since 1922. That was the point, though I see how it wasn't made very clear.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users