Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley Attacking Play

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

A lot of people are commenting about the lack of attacking options we have through a game. I would also agree that we seem a little void of ideas with ball in hand.

What should be done to overcome this? A fresh person in the 6 shirt? Is it just early days in the Leatherbarrow/Black/Leak partnership and nothing to worry about?

We have a formidable bunch of forwards that no team would want the task of stopping and probably top 3 group of backs in the league, so what else do we need?
SIGNATURE

#2 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

Give them time. Conditions and opposition have not provided opportunities for them to develop. As I said on a previous thread, Keighley will probably give us a better idea of how will we will go this season attacking wise. I currently have no problems with our defence mind!!!

#3 LINNERS

LINNERS
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

It's been the same since Kear came. Great in defence but not often that prolific going forwards. It's probably just the way they are coached to win games. It was a decent enough pitch and we were on top for an hour v Sheffield but only posted 12 points and ended up losing. Just the way it is.

If we were a bit more expansive we may score more but also make more mistakes thus conceding more. I don't really expect the attacking aspect to develop that much from what we are already seeing.

#4 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

Same under Harrison. I think we look to have more organisation in our approach play under Kear but we still seem to struggle within ten metres of their line. Perhaps it is the limitations of our players at the end of the day.

#5 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 422 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

A lot of people are commenting about the lack of attacking options we have through a game. I would also agree that we seem a little void of ideas with ball in hand.

What should be done to overcome this? A fresh person in the 6 shirt? Is it just early days in the Leatherbarrow/Black/Leak partnership and nothing to worry about?

We have a formidable bunch of forwards that no team would want the task of stopping and probably top 3 group of backs in the league, so what else do we need?

Sorry Andy have to agree we have a good set of forwards but our attacking play leaves a lot to be desired. Near the line we lack defence splitting moves and are often predictable with the chip kick usually our best option. I believe we are short of quality in our threequartes and Ben Black needs to up his game . Have been impressed with Leek.

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

It's no coincidence that end of season 'points for' totals generally correspond to league placings and size of budget. Its simply a fact that the likes of Featherstone, Sheffield, Leigh and Halifax have - by virtue of the money they are able to spend, monopolised all the best attacking players at this level - those who are able to almost score at will from nothing.

Were we able to afford a Brierley, Yere or a Togagae - or even two players of their standard as are the clubs listed above, then we'd probably score 200-300 more points per season.

Edited by TheTerminator, 26 January 2014 - 01:14 PM.

Posted Image

#7 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

The reason our attack is so poor is simple.

1. Ben Black is finished, great at pointing but offers nothing to the team.
2. We have no three quarters, paterson appears to be past his best, Faal isnt good enough, neither is Finnigan.Campbell may not be here much longer if the rumours are teue and the rest are second rowers plugging gaps.
3. There are no set moves evident near the line, we seem to be relying on our big pack to barge over, maybe this is due to points 1 & 2, this probably explains why the defence looks stronger this year, we are hoping to keep the opposition in touching distance.

34 points conceded in 3 games and only 14 scored tells us all we need to know about where we are strong and what need to improve.

Edited by buford t justice, 26 January 2014 - 01:17 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#8 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

2. We have no three quarters, paterson appears to be past his best, Faal isnt good enough, neither is Finnigan.Campbell may not be here much longer if the rumours are teue and the rest are second rowers plugging gaps.
3. There are no set moves evident near the line, we seem to be relying on our big pack to barge over, maybe this is due to points 1 & 2.

34 points conceded in 3 games and only 14 scored tells us all we need to know about where we are strong and what need to improve.

I agree with some points, Buford. However, in regard to the quality of the players you mention, they are probably the best we are able to afford. I'm even willing to bet that someone like Karl Pryce, who despite his foibles will probably bag at least 20 tries this season, is way out of our wage bracket.

Aside from this debate, I'm sure that - as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, we'll be more of an attacking threat as the season progresses. As for the first few months of the season, I wouldn't expect anything other than the percentage rugby that - despite it's tedious nature, enabled us to win most of our games in the first half of 2013.

Edited by TheTerminator, 26 January 2014 - 01:20 PM.

Posted Image

#9 LINNERS

LINNERS
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

3. There are no set moves evident near the line, we seem to be relying on our big pack to barge over, maybe this is due to points 1 & 2, this probably explains why the defence looks stronger this year, we are hoping to keep the opposition in touching distance.

Are you allowed to divulge this Campbell rumour? Not sure if it is common knowledge but I must have missed it if so.

#10 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Are you allowed to divulge this Campbell rumour? Not sure if it is common knowledge but I must have missed it if so.

Not my place to speculate, im sure if you ask about someone will fill you in on whats alleged to have gone on.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#11 Chris_T

Chris_T
  • Coach
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

2 Players who seem a bit out of favour with Bastion, Kain & Saxton. For me those 2 offer everything that we are missing, and with them in the squad we would all be happy come the end of the season.

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

2 Players who seem a bit out of favour with Bastion, Kain & Saxton. For me those 2 offer everything that we are missing, and with them in the squad we would all be happy come the end of the season.

Agreed Chris. However, I feel it's fairly inevitable that, should they be released, both would end up at Halifax. Saxton, in particular, would provide us with the threequarter class we're somewhat lacking.

Posted Image

#13 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Perhaps gt's old 'gel' issue is whats needed here. Black can perhaps guide our new halfbacks but not do it himself.

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#14 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Tommy was down to play today before it was called off, and Kain is injured and expected to be out a further two weeks.

Cant believe your already bagging your players 3 warm up games into the season........

Edited by Deano44, 26 January 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#15 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

I don't think anyone is bagging anyone else. Knowledgeable supporters are simply pointing out what they believe are the perceived deficiencies of our team. At least it is better than supporters 'bagging' players before they have even arrived at their club!

#16 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

Im not sure I know what your referring to cocka....??

#17 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Cocka?

#18 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

I reiterate, using words that are slightly different, and in a slightly different order. I do not believe anyone is having a go at any specific player as such, but that supporters who have a substantial experience of the game are, after a number of games, expressing their concern at our perceived attacking deficiencies.

Personally, I am not sure that we have had the ideal game contexts and conditions to make a definitive statement on this issue.

#19 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Are you a spaniel, DD?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#20 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

It would appear so, according to Deano44!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users