- - - - -

Hunslet 20 Leeds 16

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

A great display against a very strong Rhinos Pack and one of the most talented young kids in the British game in Liam Sutcliffe who on this evidence will be a future international. Our forwards never took a backward step against the likes of Leulaui, Singleton, Achurch, Clarkson and Bailey , Danny Ansell had his best ever game for Hunslet and him and Grimmer  looked a great combination in a near perfect 1st half.We gave away a few penalties in the 2nd half gifting field position to go behind 10-16 but pulled it back with tries from Oaksey and Ansell and won a real hard contested Lazenby Cup.All in all a very good indication that we will be the team that can get promotion next year. m.o.m Ansell

Posted Image

#2 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

And so say all of us KOL-- good performances from most of our players plus the attendance of 935 following the pre match weather was also good.

If Sutcliffe is a future internanational . one or two of our lads must be in with a chance.

#3 Wakey Hawk

Wakey Hawk
  • Players
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Really enjoyed the match and thought it was a good display by each and every one of the players. My m.o.m would be Danny Ansell as well, bring on the wildcats next week

#4 biggalouigi

biggalouigi
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

fantastic to see this result,well done hunslet.

#5 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Frisky, Sutcliffe caused problems everytime he touched the ball, for me hes gonna be the real deal. I thought the yound lad Canterbury gave some nice service from dummy half whilst on and John Oakes defence was awesome. Only slight problem i have is with goalkicking

Posted Image

#6 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

I agree with most of the above comments,although I would give MOM to John Oakes considering who he was up against. A great performance considering we still have March, Coyle, and Hood still to come in.

The key thing for me was the way the players all congratulated each other after tackles or tries, they seem a very tight unit.

Hospitality was a sell-out, with two more home games sponsored.

Colin Smith (PIMS) was out of his seat for the last try, and he looked like a kid on Christmas morning.

With the Rhinos fielding their strongest squad for years, and our first Lazenby in eight attempts, the signs are looking good both on and off the pitch.....

#7 Duck Egg

Duck Egg
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

An excellent performance by Hunslet and was a joy to watch. For the level of rugby on show today, £10 was great value.

#8 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

How did batley favourite danny maun go on.

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#9 Guardsman

Guardsman
  • Coach
  • 444 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Good performance from Hunslet and a well deserved win. Let's hope this is just the start of things to come its season. Heard comments that Rhinos were happy with their display on pitch and hadn't gone there to necessarily win. What ######, no sportsman turns out for his side not wanting to win.
Agree with K of L Sutcliffe stood out, was a constant threat and made their first try.

#10 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

And so say all of us KOL-- good performances from most of our players plus the attendance of 935 following the pre match weather was also good.
If Sutcliffe is a future internanational . one or two of our lads must be in with a chance.

Got to agree or disagree as the case may be. What's all this brown nosing with Sutcliffe. He was an ok player in an ok team. His play is slow and does nothing special. Did he kick a ball today? Maybe I am the only person not to see his potential but he is a far cry from what Aaron Brown was (at Dewsbury) at the same age. Think Leeds have missed s trick there. Also Grimmer and the Coyles are much better players.
Just my opinion.

A good performance from Huns but leaky in the middle. That will change when Hood, Davies and March are back in.

#11 Normy

Normy
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Fantastic game, especially the first half. Was impressed young Crash gave only one penalty in the first half, (second half he made up for it), linesmen were a bit bottleless on a couple of occassions. Really pleased with the handling, (it looked snappy), and even some of the kicking added to the options. Tackling close to brilliant, against a very strong set of forwards. A very promising  season beckons, just hope we can keep this team together.

#12 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Got to agree or disagree as the case may be. What's all this brown nosing with Sutcliffe. He was an ok player in an ok team. His play is slow and does nothing special. Did he kick a ball today? Maybe I am the only person not to see his potential but he is a far cry from what Aaron Brown was (at Dewsbury) at the same age. Think Leeds have missed s trick there. Also Grimmer and the Coyles are much better players.
Just my opinion.

A good performance from Huns but leaky in the middle. That will change when Hood, Davies and March are back in.

what happened to the 60? MOT

Edited by sgt pepper, 26 January 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#13 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

Just my opinion.

did you have your eyes closed today? Everything leeds did was off the back of Sutcliffe, the only real errors in his game was the outloads to us when he's broken through the line. And Yes he did kick but don't understand your obsession with kicking, not all half's have to be able to kick.

Anyway back to Hunslet's performance, it was very positive, I expected us to get bully down the middle but defence was mainly strong, singo looked strong for them but we handled the rest without much hassle bar a few people getting sucked into giving bailey easy penalties. Attacking wise we were pretty good, gimmer looked strong first half & when he came back of the bench, Ansell looks like a completely different player, I still don't know how we've got coyle he's a class act for mine who should be at top of the championship at least, oakes ran well ontop of getting about in d, Haley look strong as did the other props.

#14 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

How did batley favourite danny maun go on.

danny went well 9,oller, never missed a tackle and will be a great addition to our squad this season.

Posted Image

#15 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

Well done to Hunslet yesterday !!

And seeing as around 12 o'clock I began to seriously doubt whether the game would even be on, so the first pat on the back has to go to the groundstaff for getting the pitch in superb condition after all that rain.

And we got an entertaining game as well! Would have to agree with Oakes getting man of the match, looking fitter this year, only played in spells but set up the first try and scored one himself later. Ansell indeed had his best game for us and Haley did a decent captain's knock. Of the new faces, Tebb, Broughton and Akaidere showed promising signs.

Only in the third quarter did we lose our grip on the game with Singleton and Sutcliffe looking dangerous during that period, but we did well to get back on top again, and the likes of Bailey, Achurch and Leuluai were well contained throughout.

All in all, a positive start and the most enjoyable Lazenby Cup for a few years (and not purely because we won!)

#16 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

I spoke to Danny Kirmond the Wildcats captain and he said they would be putting out a full strength side out against us next week so another huge test for the lads what a start to the season.

chappy

#17 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Sutcliffe broke through whenever he wanted. A good very player

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#18 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

Made the back page of the YEP

#19 Bigm1

Bigm1
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Well done Hunslet. Couldn't get to the game, but really pleased with the result. Looking forward to the season. York is my first game, can't wait.

#20 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

With the Feel Good Factor topic locked ill comment on here, after Yesterday I've got the Feel Good Factor :good:  :preved: :victory:

chappy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users