23 replies to this topic

#21 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

At last, an "honest" politician

http://www.dailymail...ament-year.html

The odd thing is that Ukip supporters cheer this on as if it's some kind of defiant act.  As opposed to trousering hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#22 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

The odd thing is that Ukip supporters cheer this on as if it's some kind of defiant act.  As opposed to trousering hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money.

Yes, quite.

I happen to work in close-ish proximity to a number of UK MEPs. Many of the things you might expect hold up: they're often haughty, overfed and imbued with a massively inflated sense of their own importance.

However, with the exception of the 'Kippers, none of them are the lazy gravy-trainers we are constantly told exist. Malcolm Harbour (Con), Sharon Bowles (LD), and Brian Simpson (Lab), to name but three, work as hard as anybody for the interests of the people they represent, and are both intelligent and extremely sensible/pragmatic. The current crop of Lib Dem MEPs is particularly good and several of them will be a big loss to the EP.

Meanwhile, you have people like this UKIP idiot being lauded to the rafters for fulfilling the stereotype that they were involved in creating.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#23 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

Yes, quite.

I happen to work in close-ish proximity to a number of UK MEPs. Many of the things you might expect hold up: they're often haughty, overfed and imbued with a massively inflated sense of their own importance.

However, with the exception of the 'Kippers, none of them are the lazy gravy-trainers we are constantly told exist. Malcolm Harbour (Con), Sharon Bowles (LD), and Brian Simpson (Lab), to name but three, work as hard as anybody for the interests of the people they represent, and are both intelligent and extremely sensible/pragmatic. The current crop of Lib Dem MEPs is particularly good and several of them will be a big loss to the EP.

Meanwhile, you have people like this UKIP idiot being lauded to the rafters for fulfilling the stereotype that they were involved in creating.

My experience of MPs is the same.   My current MP is a Tory.  I think he's an idiot on many counts, but I can't fault the effort he puts in.

That's me.  I'm done.

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

My experience of MPs is the same.   My current MP is a Tory.  I think he's an idiot on many counts, but I can't fault the effort he puts in.

In any group of hundreds there's going to be variety.  I can't speak for the current MP because I don't know who they are and we're moving again soon anyway but Cheryl Gillan in Chiltern always seemed to be dialing it in.

The hardest working politico I've come across was a Tory councillor in one of the safest Tory wards in Richmond-upon-Thames.  I don't think she ever actually stopped.

EDIT

It now appears that my current MP is Amber Rudd, a woman who has been fertilised twice by A A Gill.  Although she seems to have seen sense and divorced the waste of human flesh.

Edited by gingerjon, 29 January 2014 - 02:45 PM.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users