TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Comedian to stand for European Parliament (add your own punchline)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

It’s time to get serious about NHS, says comedian Rufus Hound
http://www.independe...nd-9086435.html

Rufus Hound is planning to run for the European Parliament to campaign against the privatisation of the NHS, saying he wants to preserve “one of the single greatest achievements of any civilisation”.
The comedian, best known for his appearances on the Channel 4 quiz show 8 out of 10 Cats, announced over the weekend his intention to run as a candidate for the single-issue National Health Action (NHA) party in the May poll.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,457 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Good on him.  He's already seriously annoyed Toby Young and some of what passes for the free-market intelligentsia which means that he's on the side of the angels.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Politics get sillier by the month. That is in no way a criticism of Mr Hound.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Yorkshire  MEP Godfrey Bloom is thinking about standing for Parliament as a motorists'champion.

I'd love him to stand against Clegg.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Yorkshire  MEP Godfrey Bloom is thinking about standing for Parliament as a motorists'champion.

So what formula does Mr Bloom have for improving the plight of the UK's motorists?

I'll get me coat.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

He'd save Clegg from having to drive between London and Sheffield.

#7 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

He'd save Clegg from having to drive between London and Sheffield.

With or without the usual hazards?

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Great news. Hound will make an excellent MEP Opinionated, ill-informed, out of touch with reality, jumping on a populist bandwagon and wholly unqualified to pronounce on this £107,000,000,000 organisation, he fits the MEP template exactly. Addition, if he elected, he will no longer need to spout his rubbish on The News Quiz.

#9 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

Great news. Hound will make an excellent MEP Opinionated, ill-informed, out of touch with reality, jumping on a populist bandwagon and wholly unqualified to pronounce on this £107,000,000,000 organisation, he fits the MEP template exactly. Addition, if he elected, he will no longer need to spout his rubbish on The News Quiz.

Put yourself forward John.

#10 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

You made my glass of wine taste even better.

How about get some proper bloke be made an MEP like some Rugby League player /Boxer/MMA.

#11 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

You made my glass of wine taste even better.

How about get some proper bloke be made an MEP like some Rugby League player /Boxer/MMA.

Plus he is not funny.

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

That's never bothered Stewart Lee, Mark Thomas or Marcus Brigstocke.

#13 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

I would add my own punchline, but I would pick up another suspension

I'd love him to run over Clegg

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#14 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Why do so many of the comedians who appear on the BBC these days have public school backgrounds?

Isn't anyone else funny?

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,457 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Why do so many of the comedians who appear on the BBC these days have public school backgrounds?

Isn't anyone else funny?

90% of the media - that's all media by the way, not just the BBC - went to public school.  The proportion is rising.

It's cos they're so much better than us.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#16 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

90% of the media - that's all media by the way, not just the BBC - went to public school.  The proportion is rising.

It's cos they're so much better than us.

Increasingly the only way to get into media work is to start with an unpaid internship. Only those from a wealthy background can afford to work for nothing. People from a wealthy background often attended public school. QED. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#17 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

Isn't anyone else funny?

The long answer is very complex, but the short answer is rising inequality.

It will get worse.

That's me.  I'm done.

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that most BBC comedy production is outsourced. So the same production comanies keep awarding projects to their own mates and roster of house-artistes.

Having said that, humour is not class-dependent. I think both Jack Whitehall and Sara Millican are brilliant at what they do.

As a Welshman, it grieves me to say that: 

- I can't do with Rhod Gilbert. His entire act is based on whingeing. Now he does need a kick.

- Rob Brydon is brilliant at panel shows and character-acting but his stand-up act that I saw was boorishly crude.

- Lloyd Langford is the only one I'd go to see.

- Paul Whitehouse is a genius but doesn't do live shows.

#19 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that most BBC comedy production is outsourced. So the same production comanies keep awarding projects to their own mates and roster of house-artistes.

Having said that, humour is not class-dependent. I think both Jack Whitehall and Sara Millican are brilliant at what they do.

As a Welshman, it grieves me to say that: 

- I can't do with Rhod Gilbert. His entire act is based on whingeing. Now he does need a kick.

- Rob Brydon is brilliant at panel shows and character-acting but his stand-up act that I saw was boorishly crude.

- Lloyd Langford is the only one I'd go to see.

- Paul Whitehouse is a genius but doesn't do live shows.

I saw Jack Whitehall die on his ###### in Manchester a few years back.   Slow handclapped off, the poor bloke.  Deserved it though.  There are funnier people in my office.

That's me.  I'm done.

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,881 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that most BBC comedy production is outsourced. So the same production companies keep awarding projects to their own mates and roster of house-artistes.

There is that, but those production companies are also in fierce competition for prime time slots on the main TV channels, so they will be looking to corner talent wherever they find it.

Mind you, what are the recent non-public school comedy shows on the BBC? That Ben Elton thing <shudders> and Mrs Brown's Boys (not a fan, myself).

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users