Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Any budding authors/authors

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

My website is now up and running and I am looking to add to it. Some people actually get a book published whereas others make a start but then get distracted or lose interest along the way. Whether you have had a book published or in the process of writing one why not tell how you got started, idea behind it, problems along the way, research and anything else of interest. Also, something about yourself, if you wish to reveal. Of course, there are people who write for magazines or newspapers, so join in if you wish. It may just inspire others to have a go or go back to the unfinished book. 

My brother-in-law has finished his life story, as well as two novels and I'm sure Geoff Lee has some interesting tales to tell. They do say there is a book in everyone. 

My website is www.raygent.co.uk PM me for my email if interested. 

I do have a link if anyone wishes to put their website on and perhaps they can do likewise for me.

Edited by ckn, 28 January 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#2 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

I have been a rugby league fan since 1947. I have also been aware of the existence of  humour at work and the old saying that "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller."  for a long time too. These two things are what inspired me to start writing my first novel as a hobby, originally called "Tales of a Northern Draughtsman", later changed to "One Winter".

To any one today thinking about writing a novel, particularly if it is one set against a rugby league background, you are lucky because there is so much material about the game's fascinating history, its players, its supporters, its dramas and its battles to draw on. All that may I add in addition to games that you may have played in, watched or heard or read about. 

The old saying that "There is a book in everyone" is still very true and particularly so for those who are getting into their 50s, 60s and even 70s. They almost have a duty to add their experiences in life generally albeit, in the form of combining fact and fiction for the benefit of future generations. This is something that I have tried to do, hopefully reasonably successfully with my five novels, putting something back into the game which I have had so much pleasure out of.

More on www.geofflee.net

PM me if interested

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#3 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hi Geoff,

My brother-in-law was in his mid-fifties before he started writing and has just finished his third novel, although yet to publish any of his books.

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

Fixed the link for you in your original post Ray

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

Fixed the link for you in your original post Ray

Thanks Craig.

#6 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Interesting to see a bit of info about what inspired you to write. I've never felt the desire to try to write anything, let alone try to get anything published but a few friends have, from novels to training materials. Most have gone with the self publish route for whatever reason they've chosen, how successful that's been I don't know. A couple of examples below (mods, please feel free to delete the links if this is viewed as advertising!)

http://www.amazon.co...ords=jon wilmot

http://www.amazon.co...90944045&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co...broughton birds

Edit: The latter of the three might be of interest to some of the Hull residents on here for the title alone, were it still in print that is! :lol:

Edited by gazza77, 28 January 2014 - 09:23 PM.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#7 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

Interesting to see a bit of info about what inspired you to write. I've never felt the desire to try to write anything, let alone try to get anything published but a few friends have, from novels to training materials. Most have gone with the self publish route for whatever reason they've chosen, how successful that's been I don't know. A couple of examples below (mods, please feel free to delete the links if this is viewed as advertising!)

http://www.amazon.co...ords=jon wilmot

http://www.amazon.co...90944045&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co...broughton birds

Edit: The latter of the three might be of interest to some of the Hull residents on here for the title alone, were it still in print that is! :lol:

Thanks for that Gareth. Did you see my PM?

#8 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for that Gareth. Did you see my PM?

I did. Will add you a link onto my site next time I'm updating it. ;)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#9 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

I did. Will add you a link onto my site next time I'm updating it. ;)

And likewise with your one Garth on mine.

#10 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

I am looking to include some amusing stories connected to football. If you would like to share one then PM me for my email address and I'll pass it on to our Stu. They don't have too be long. This one from my brother-in-law made me laugh.

When in his teens, my brother-in-law Peter went to Stoke to see Blackburn Rovers play in an FA Cup-tie replay. Prior to setting off, the door handle on the passenger door fell off, leaving the lads wondering what to do. No bother though as he tied a rope to the car handle inside and held on for dear life down the motorway at speed. As for the duration of the match, the car remained unlocked. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 29 January 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#11 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

I have now posted a piece on my website about the ties/connections between football and rugby league. Let me know if you can recall any interesting ones.

Also, let me know if you want to put your web address on my links.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 01 February 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#12 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,536 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

My Dad is close to getting published, having been at it for twenty years.  He has always been able to write and his submitted synposes often led to a request for sample chapters, and on several occasions for the full book, before finally declining.

His problem, I think, was that he was writing general fiction.  Therefore, he was not fortunate enough to catch the zeitgeist, have a niche and did not have a ready made following.

He has now at the point where the full book has been accepted in principle, but he has been asked to tighten it up.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#13 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

My Dad is close to getting published, having been at it for twenty years.  He has always been able to write and his submitted synposes often led to a request for sample chapters, and on several occasions for the full book, before finally declining.

His problem, I think, was that he was writing general fiction.  Therefore, he was not fortunate enough to catch the zeitgeist, have a niche and did not have a ready made following.

He has now at the point where the full book has been accepted in principle, but he has been asked to tighten it up.

That's what you call staying power and good luck.

#14 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

As I have no intention of ever working in the NHS I could write about what goes on in Theatre. That could worry some people.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies