Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Keighley Friendly

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

What do you expect from the Keighley game?

Will this one be an indicator of what's to come in the early season or will it be just a final run out before the league kicks off?

Anyone know the gate price for this one?
SIGNATURE

#2 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Will be a tenner in no doubt.

As for what to expect, I hope upon hope that our dual reg players are all back in the squad and will be consistently with us from now on - we look a far more appealing proposition going forward with them in the side, Connor and Beardmore will pep up the three quarter line and Aspinall looked a real quality player in the back row - hopefully the excellent defence will continue to look solid and we will start to play some decent rugby in attack - id hate to think we are becoming the RL equivalent of the George Graham led Arsenal side of the late 80s / early 90s, the "boring boring Arsenal" who regularly won games 1-0, great to see a good defence, but would be nice to play some attractive attacking rugby too.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#3 phildog

phildog
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Our defence will continue to be immense, can't see keighley having the firepower to break it down. We know Handforth's game and Ash won't be much of a threat in that department. Question is, will our firepower be enough to give us a good victory? If the triangle of Black, Leek and Leatherbarrow can finally get it together and bring through those forwards, yes. Do we have enough speed on the outside? Depends on who we have on the wings. Is Finigan at his best, and what of the Campbell situation? Is Blackmore going to be regular, and has his defence improved since Keighley last year? I was always concerned about our lack of recruitment in the backs and this could be the key as to whether we fire or not.

#4 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

Isn't Ash injured?

#5 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Isn't Ash injured?

I believe so, I read somewhere that he had dislocated his shoulder so he will be out for a while.

#6 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

Is Blackmore going to be regular, and has his defence improved since Keighley last year?

I may be wrong but wasn't it was Matt Dawson who has signed for St Helens who played for us at Keighley last year?

#7 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

I may be wrong but wasn't it was Matt Dawson who has signed for St Helens who played for us at Keighley last year?

No, was definitely Blackmore. Think he scored. Maybe have been a little iffy in defence, but he was thrown into the deep end at short notice. He looked excellent with ball in hand, to be fair. Typical modern wingman. Big, fast, and a real threat.

Posted Image

#8 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

No, was definitely Blackmore. Think he scored. Maybe have been a little iffy in defence, but he was thrown into the deep end at short notice. He looked excellent with ball in hand, to be fair. Typical modern wingman. Big, fast, and a real threat.

Cheers Termie ;) I wasn't sure, I find it really difficult to keep a track of the DR lads, especially when they don't play often. 

Edited by TNT Heritage, 29 January 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#9 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Can't rely on DR Batley fans otherwise your other players will get ###### of and end up leaving you just what happened with us last season I don't think we will use it this season our squad is well covered in all departments plus Bradford have got no one in reverse to get a spot in our team.

#10 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Can't rely on DR Batley fans otherwise your other players will get ###### of and end up leaving you just what happened with us last season I don't think we will use it this season our squad is well covered in all departments plus Bradford have got no one in reverse to get a spot in our team.

Who's 'relying' on dual reg?

Posted Image

#11 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

You had five against us on Boxing Day you've only got 21 players signed on even john Kear said your hoping to have the same 5 available every week so think you are a bit.
They could play one week for you then huddersfield could call them back Batley have always had a consist team that's why you've been up there the DR thing unsettles teams.

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

You had five against us on Boxing Day you've only got 21 players signed on even john Kear said your hoping to have the same 5 available every week so think you are a bit.
They could play one week for you then huddersfield could call them back Batley have always had a consist team that's why you've been up there the DR thing unsettles teams.

We had five playing on Boxing Day as Kear wanted to give them a taste of playing for the club - not because we were short on numbers. This was stated in the Batley News and The Press. Dual registration worked perfectly for us last season, with all of the players used buying into our team and squad ethos - as opposed to unsettling it, as you say. Why change? We don't run a reserve team, so what alternative would you suggest. Unhappy players sitting on the sidelines not being selected for weeks on end? I would be surprised if we use more than two dual registration players per week - probably Anthony Mullally and Jake Connor.

Posted Image

#13 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

It is really unlikely for any of the DR lads we have signed, barring a massive injury crisis, and I mean catastrophic crisis, that they would get a game with the Giants. AFAIK the Giants have McGilvary, Jody Broughton and Murphy in front of Blackmore for the wing and loads of forwards in front of the lads we have DR'd so not too much of a problem plus we played the last too games without any of them, problem for the forwards like Mullally and Fairbank who were great at the end of last season is, are they going to get a game in front of the really solid pack we have already assembled?

Edited by TNT Heritage, 29 January 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#14 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Didn't unsettled us last season. If all is to be believed it was our contracted players who managed that.
And enjoy the Bradford win but be careful about it raising expectations too far!

#15 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Can see huddersfield using jake Connor though that kids a talent I'd rather use my own players then DR though can't see us getting any from Bradford this season there not good enough.

#16 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

Can see huddersfield using jake Connor though that kids a talent I'd rather use my own players then DR though can't see us getting any from Bradford this season there not good enough.

So are you seriously suggesting that, on the back of your friendly win, no Bradford player is good enough to get in your team?

#17 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Yep

#18 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Yep

Great.

#19 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Jimbob come back after 10 games of the season proper and we'll see where glenns superteam are in the league

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#20 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Will see won't we hopefully above you smugs been to one grand final and you think your gods gift lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users