Super League Man of Steel

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

Naah my Joe Mellor picture and Widnes calander is kept at the bottom of the cat litter tray ;)

After its been used the picture reminds me of their team and the smell reminds me of their town ! :tongue:

joey certainly tore your pile of ###### apart at langtree park las season.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

lance hohaia is just about the worst import of the past 10 years, how on earth he is in the top 10 is beyond me......same with walsh and lomax. both overrated stains players.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#23 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

double post.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 29 January 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#24 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Lomax I can understand, before geting injured he was absolutely outstanding at full back. This year he's had a full off-season to train in that position so I do think he will be one of Saints main attacking threats this year along with Roby & Walsh.

But Hiho ???? I'm not even sure he will get a starting spot every week so his odds are a bit puzzling (unless the bookies have a direct line to Nathan Brown and know something the rest of us dont)

you are taking the ######, roby apart all the stains players are grossly overrated..........

#25 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

you are taking the ######, roby apart all the stains players are grossly overrated..........

They still finished 5 places above Widnes and have a points difference of 288 better than Widnes.

Surely a team with Joe Mellor in it would surely finish above a squad with 24 overrated players and James Roby?

#26 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

They still finished 5 places above Widnes and have a points difference of 288 better than Widnes.

Surely a team with Joe Mellor in it would surely finish above a squad with 24 overrated players and James Roby?

isn't there a salary cap barrow should be breaking??

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,036 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

I've only quickly browsed through this thread so may have missed it, but not one mention of the current MOS Danny Brough?
Posted Image

#28 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'm personally not surprised saints have 4 players in the top ten.

Saints to win the LLS and Lomax MOS
swift as young player of the year ( if he's the young centre )

#29 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

I've only quickly browsed through this thread so may have missed it, but not one mention of the current MOS Danny Brough?

Scots don't count. Everyone knows they only play Union up there.

#30 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Interesting that Saints have 4 of the top 10 - including their two halves, the fullback and the hooker.

Does this now mean that they have a class spine and they will be genuine contenders for winning something again?

It is an interesting one. I think it's fair to say we can rule Hoahaia out of the running and as highly as I rate Lomax I'm not sure that it's his time to win it just yet. Our pack (on paper) looks much improved so if they can regularly get a roll on then Roby and Walsh could potentially do some great things this year. I think they're both fairly soild predictions, although I may be getting a little carried away with Walsh through the excitement of actually having a highly rated natural scrum half again after several years of trying to patch over the gap.

With a nippy young backline, a big pack and a proper playmaker I am feeling optimistic that we'll be geunine contenders again. The extent to which some of the younger backs will be able to deal with the added responsibility this year will be interesting but my biggest concern is by far the lack of depth we have in the halves. If Walsh picks up an injury we're back where we were last season, but then I suppose that's only the same as any team losing a key player and having to deal with it so i shouldn't really moan.

I'd say at this stage on paper we're right up there and I'm looking forward to seeing how that translates on the pitch.

Can't wait to play you in our opener! Saints and Warrington games always feel a bit special :)

Edited by MrFussy, 30 January 2014 - 12:11 AM.

#31 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

lance hohaia is just about the worst import of the past 10 years, how on earth he is in the top 10 is beyond me......same with walsh and lomax. both overrated stains players.

That's pretty harsh. I kind of understand how you could think that about Lomax, he's shown plenty of great moments but not been consistently excellent for a prolonged period as of yet. Injury problems and of course being played completely out of position for a long while haven't helped, but what he has shown so far makes me confident that he'll establish himself as one of the League's best fullbacks this year.

Not sure how you can say Walsh is overrated, from what I've seen of him and read on Aussie sports websites over the years he's been praised and critcised accordingly. Lets at least let him play a few games over here before judging. If he brings his 2013 form there'll be plenty of happy Saints (note spelling  :tongue:)  fans.

#32 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

isn't there a salary cap barrow should be breaking??

That's your way of letting me know I won the debate.

#33 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

why did you pas a couple of brown envelopes??

#34 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Oh dear, getting worried already 

Mellor may have looked half decent last year up against a 2nd row forward playing in the halves, lets see how he manages against a proper scrum half, especially one that was one of the most highly rated 7's in the NRL last year.

#35 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Mellor may have looked half decent last year up against a 2nd row forward playing in the halves, lets see how he manages against a proper scrum half, especially one that was one of the most highly rated 7's in the NRL last year.

I expect Mellor will still give a good account of himself, I'd be delighted if he was playing at stand off for us this year.

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

you mean like he did against all super league scrum halves last season. tore michael dobson apart at the back end of the season and outplayed scott dureau, both better players than walsh. 

#37 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

why did you pas a couple of brown envelopes??

I didn't pass anything, and the fact someone who was at my club did 3 years ago doesn't add or take away anything from my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users