Schoey tips Bradford and London for the drop

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is with Schofield. He's a great of the game who is paid to write a small column in a weekly newspaper. He offers his opinions, you can either agree or disagree with them. Either way, he's doing what is asked of him by his job description. I've never really had a massive issue with what he's written, although I've not always been fully on board with what he's had to say. I'm at a loss as to why the many other former RL players/coaches who currently write columns and profess their (sometimes controversial) opinions don't receive the same amount of criticism that Garry does?

Posted Image

#62 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Did Schoey really say the Red devils will struggle by gaining a player that was a massive loss for Warriors? Did he really say Wigan will struggle? And then he woke up! :mosking:

Now, I'm not saying he won't be proven to be accurate just that his reasoning seem a bit questionable without a ball being kicked in anger and really having no history to speak of in coaching terms this will be simply more a matter of luck than judgement! Here's my prediction for 2014 1) Really Interesting 2) Really exciting 3) Top guns will have less points than last season 4) Some clubs will put players on the park beyond the point of realistic expectation as they worry about their livelihoods 5) Without number 4 being impossible the number of young players will be less this year than last. Now I don't think these are universal truths and I'm very willing to be proved wrong but these are, in my opinion, much more worthy of debate than who will finish where and who will be relegated ( apart from to those who will in fact be relegated!)

Edited by Oxford, 01 February 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#63 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,838 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is with Schofield. He's a great of the game who is paid to write a small column in a weekly newspaper. He offers his opinions, you can either agree or disagree with them. Either way, he's doing what is asked of him by his job description. I've never really had a massive issue with what he's written, although I've not always been fully on board with what he's had to say. I'm at a loss as to why the many other former RL players/coaches who currently write columns and profess their (sometimes controversial) opinions don't receive the same amount of criticism that Garry does?

You are far too reasonable.

#64 BJW

BJW
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

You are far too reasonable.

In your unbiased opinion ? :P

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

#65 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,838 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

In your unbiased opinion ? :P

I'm not claiming to be unbiased.

#66 St.Clarence.

St.Clarence.
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Said for years he talks utter tripe,he just tries to be controversial all the time.Surely there's somebody out there who can write more interesting articles for the Rugby League Express.

#67 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Said for years he talks utter tripe,he just tries to be controversial all the time.Surely there's somebody out there who can write more interesting articles for the Rugby League Express.

If you pick up any national newspaper on any given day, you'll find editorials in them from sports journalists in which they offer their opinions. Those opinions are out there for people to either agree OR disagree with. Are you not familiar with this concept? I'll reiterate ; Schofield is paid to give his views. Whether they're controversial or not - or even fly in the face of popular beliefs, they're HIS opinions and he's fulfilling his job description. You mention that you'd like to read something 'more interesting'. What, exactly, do you define as 'interesting'?

Edited by TheTerminator, 01 February 2014 - 05:47 PM.

Posted Image

#68 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,838 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

If you pick up any national newspaper on any given day, you'll find editorials in them from sports journalists in which they offer their opinions. Those opinions are out there for people to either agree OR disagree with. Are you not familiar with this concept? I'll reiterate ; Schofield is paid to give his views. Whether they're controversial or not - or even fly in the face of popular beliefs, they're HIS opinions and he's fulfilling his job description. You mention that you'd like to read something 'more interesting'. What, exactly, do you define as 'interesting'?

Presumably it would be more interesting if Garry pretended that he thought London Broncos would win Super League this season.

On Monday Garry will be picking out some of the young players who he thinks will have a big impact in Super League this season.

I don't suppose his critics will think that is a very interesting subject.

#69 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

I don't get the point of those criticising those criticising Schofield.

Some people just don't like the blokes views and his style, I'm one of them.

Martyn, there is loads of stick for Eddie and Stevo on here, why do you not defend them? If you are comfortable hiring Schofield then why do you feel the need to defend him at all?

The fact is that people dislike certain journalists and columnists all over the world. Some in mainstream papers, some online, some on tv - they put themselves out, they are there to be critiqued.

If people want to judge that they don't like his column, that is their right.

#70 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,838 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

And while we are talking about Garry, I just had a quick look at our first issue of February in 2013 to check what he wrote. In his column that week he predicted that Brett Seymour was not the right player to be Hull FC's halfback after watching him at Leeds.

I suppose that was another of his analyses that he got wrong.

#71 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,838 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I don't get the point of those criticising those criticising Schofield.

Some people just don't like the blokes views and his style, I'm one of them.

Martyn, there is loads of stick for Eddie and Stevo on here, why do you not defend them? If you are comfortable hiring Schofield then why do you feel the need to defend him at all?

The fact is that people dislike certain journalists and columnists all over the world. Some in mainstream papers, some online, some on tv - they put themselves out, they are there to be critiqued.

If people want to judge that they don't like his column, that is their right.

If you don't like his style that is your prerogative and I can't argue with it.

But when people make assertions that are incorrect, then I dispute their views.

Garry works for League Express, while Eddie and Stevo don't. As his editor I'm happy to correct mistaken comments about him.

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

If you don't like his style that is your prerogative and I can't argue with it.

But when people make assertions that are incorrect, then I dispute their views.

Garry works for League Express, while Eddie and Stevo don't. As his editor I'm happy to correct mistaken comments about him.

I haven't read the full thread, but I have read you seemingly defend his opinions, not mistaken facts. That's your prerogative though I suppose.

#73 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

I must admit I thought I did say why I didn't like his punditry and apologised for my initial reaction. However, I also pointed out what I felt might be a) a more interesting way to look at the coming season and  where those worries I have about the prospect of relegation in terms of the effects it will have on coaching, players and possibly the make-up and therefore chances of our international side! Or maybe I just dreamt all that after a heavy night at the Sailors and Harlots Inn. :lol:

Edited by Oxford, 02 February 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#74 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

At least Schoey has something to say (even if I don't always agree with it). RL journalism has too many columnists that merely repeat press releases and add their best wishes to whatever new venture has been proposed. I'd like to know what you really think. I don't really need to know about that funny holiday you had in Cyprus where the bar owner happened to be a huge Wigan fan nor do I particularly want to hear any swipes at the rah-rahs. Just tell me what you think about the game and maybe do some investigating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users