TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

• Please log in to reply
573 replies to this topic

#521 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 827 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

This is how BBC Radio will cover the season
http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/26031984
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#522 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

£87m in 1996 would be equivalent to £140m today,

No comment, something to ponder.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#523 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

Didnt that get negotiated down part way through though. What did we actually receive from that deal.

#524 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

so as we all know the £87m fee was a massively inflated amount due to the SL war. What was the renegotiated amount a couple of years later? Wasnt it around £50m?

#525 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

so as we all know the £87m fee was a massively inflated amount due to the SL war. What was the renegotiated amount a couple of years later? Wasnt it around £50m?

£62m 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#526 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,705 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:35 AM

so as we all know the £87m fee was a massively inflated amount due to the SL war.

It was suggested recently in a very good thread well argued that the first big deal was in anticipation of mergers and expansion, it may not have been be an either (the war) or (merger/expansion), but a combination.

I do know on the second SKY negotiation the RFL/SLE expected £Millions more and were appalled at the offer and spoke of going it alone professionally without SKY.

I think the argument that SLE didn't develop itself, just return to it's 1995 form, and suffered TV contract wise is a plausible one.

#527 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

There have been a lot of figures quoted from 30-68% increases
Only data I can see is the last deal was £90m for 5 years and this £200m. What exactly is the number? As nothing seems to add up

#528 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

There have been a lot of figures quoted from 30-68% increases
Only data I can see is the last deal was £90m for 5 years and this £200m. What exactly is the number? As nothing seems to add up

The widely quoted numbers knocking around are £127m last time, £200m this. I assume that both of these numbers are for all TV rights that the RFL own during the 5 year period.

#529 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

the £127m is what sky was paying for its part of the tv deals, you also had money from the BBC on top of that.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#530 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

These are the stats i have. are they correct?

1996-1998 (3 years) £52m (£17.3m a year)

1999-2003 (5 years) £57.8m (£11.56m a year)

2004 to 2008 (5 years) £45m (£9m a year)

2009 to 2011 (3 years) £53m (£17.6m a year)

2012 to 2016 (5 years) £127m (£25m a year)

Announced 2014: 2017 to 2012 (5 years) £200m?? (£40m? a year)

#531 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Some people keep comparing the SL deal to RU premier deal. One thing to consider is that for Sky they have been the junior partner in media rights for RU. Whereas Sky are the by far the major media partner to RL. Thus to Sky RL is far more important sport from a broadcasting rights perspective than RU.   Hence whilst they may not fight so hard for keeping the RU avia premiership they would fight damn harder to keep RL.  With regard to premiership football it is more important to Sky and hence they fought (prepared to offer more in other words) much harder, My point is that to Sky keeping SL was far more important than keeping RU club competition given the relative broadcasting importance to the channel.

In additional broadcasting rights inflation has significantly increased with BT sport coming on the scene,  Over the next 8 years other media groups are possible, e.g. some deal that includes Vodaphones massive inflow of money and need to get into tripleplay market in UK.

The RFL would have been in a far stronger position than avia premiership - I don't think this is recognized enough by some and for sure you would expect a better deal... a much much better deal if you played it right and not panic respond,

Edited by redjonn, 06 February 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#532 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

Some people keep comparing the SL deal to RU premier deal. One thing to consider is that for Sky they have been the junior partner in media rights for RU. Whereas Sky are the by far the major media partner to RL. Thus to Sky RL is far more important sport from a broadcasting rights perspective than RU.   Hence whilst they may not fight so hard for keeping the RU avia premiership they would fight damn harder to keep RL.  With regard to premiership football it is more important to Sky and hence they fought (prepared to offer more in other words) much harder, My point is that to Sky keeping SL was far more important than keeping RU club competition given the relative broadcasting importance to the channel.

In additional broadcasting rights inflation has significantly increased with BT sport coming on the scene,  Over the next 8 years other media groups are possible, e.g. some deal that includes Vodaphones massive inflow of money and need to get into tripleplay market in UK.

The RFL would have been in a far stronger position than avia premiership - I don't think this is recognized enough by some and for sure you would expect a better deal... a much much better deal if you played it right and not panic respond,

Or maybe the English union clubs went looking for a better deal than their last one and go it.

#533 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Or maybe the English union clubs went looking for a better deal than their last one and go it.

yep for sure, but my point was how hard did Sky try to keep it and hence what they offered in comparison. My second point being that if RFL did the same as the union clubs then Sky would have been keener to keep SL and may have offered lot more.... unfortunately the market wasn't tested so who knows if it is a great deal or not.... without knowing what has potentially been left or not on a table

#534 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

an interesting tweet by Ian Ramsdale                                                                                                                           ‏@ianramsdale  · 1h 
In Broncos' fans forum Blake Solly said RFL did speak to BT Sport about TV deal. They were interested, if it had gone to tender #rugbyleague

Sheds a whole new light on the Sky Contract, looks like BT's sniffing worked in our favour.

#535 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

an interesting tweet by Ian Ramsdale                                                                                                                           ‏@ianramsdale  · 1h 
In Broncos' fans forum Blake Solly said RFL did speak to BT Sport about TV deal. They were interested, if it had gone to tender #rugbyleague

Sheds a whole new light on the Sky Contract, looks like BT's sniffing worked in our favour.

I was saying that when ESPN were around that going to other broadcasters could create competition and up the money from Sky but was howled down.

Another thing to contemplate going forward is to give one broadcaster the majority of games but give a specific time slot to another. The Yanks did that with Monday night football and reaped a huge reward and the networks still competed for the NFL dollar.

#536 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Sure as anything this is not a good deal and once again the incompetent clowns at the RFL have acted out a farce and a shambles and sold the game down the river.  :tongue:

#537 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

The second reading of that - and I wouldn't know which would be right - is that we could have got a better offer by taking Sky's offer to BT and asking them to beat it.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#538 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

The second reading of that - and I wouldn't know which would be right - is that we could have got a better offer by taking Sky's offer to BT and asking them to beat it.

That's how I read it. I guess we'll never know.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#539 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

im struggling to make the numbers add up?

this deal is supposed to be worth around £40m a year..

but the £21.6m a year that goes to ESL clubs,the £2.6m a year that goes to champ clubs & the £1.05m a year that goes to champ1 clubs only comes to £25.25m per year

so where is the rest of the £14-15m gone?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#540 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

im struggling to make the numbers add up?

this deal is supposed to be worth around £40m a year..

but the £21.6m a year that goes to ESL clubs,the £2.6m a year that goes to champ clubs & the £1.05m a year that goes to champ1 clubs only comes to £25.25m per year

so where is the rest of the £14-15m gone?

Don't forget that a share usually goes to the RFL and the challenge cup money won't be included in clubs SL share.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users