Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

• Please log in to reply
573 replies to this topic

#41 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

With a bit of potential competition from BT Sport i would have hoped the RFL (or whoever did the deal for them, IMG maybe) would have investigated the possibility of one game a week on terrestrial TV, or at least looked to break up the coverage options into packages. Full details of such discussions and the finer details of these TV contracts are never communicated with the fans though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#42 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Is an extension this early unprecedented? That has to be a good sign surely?

#43 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

With a bit of potential competition from BT Sport i would have hoped the RFL (or whoever did the deal for them, IMG maybe) would have investigated the possibility of one game a week on terrestrial TV, or at least looked to break up the coverage options into packages.

People should start to realise this is never going to happen. Weekly live covarage of any sport on terrestrial now is practically non existent, plus Sky love exclusivity. If they have to share usually they aren't interested (save absolutely massive sports like Football and F1) which is why they didn't get the RLWC

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

I assume this doesn't mean much of an increase in revenue for SL?

Why do you assume that?

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

People should start to realise this is never going to happen. Weekly live covarage of any sport on terrestrial now is practically non existent, plus Sky love exclusivity. If they have to share usually they aren't interested (save absolutely massive sports like Football and F1) which is why they didn't get the RLWC

Yes, I've never got why people talk about this. 

The bigger focus should be getting a quality magazine show at a decent time, shown nationally.

#46 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,085 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Whatever the money concerned is, the amount of RL on Sky will increase, which is good news. And Catalans home games are a long-overdue bonus.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#47 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, wishful thinking i guess. Apparently discussions over TV contract were only with SKY, no others spoken to (according to the wonderful world of twitter).

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#48 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Hopefully that loyalty has been duly rewarded.

#49 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

If there was no BT. I wonder would SKY be showing games outside SL?

#50 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

The Catalans home games thing is a bit odd, im assuming they'll get the feed at a minimal cost from the French coverage so therefore its a way of increasing overall coverage of Super League without much additional cost to themselves?

Presumably. It makes sense for them to do this.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#51 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

If there was no BT. I wonder would SKY be showing games outside SL?

If there was no ale would we all drink wine?

#52 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Mr M Sadler will be gutted.

#53 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

If there was no SKY, would we still be playing the floodlit trophy on the BBC every week?

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#54 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Surely not? People have posted numerous times on here that sky have no interest in the Championship.

Yes that's right. Such claims were based upon Sky stating that they no longer had any interest in the Championship when they dropped their coverage in 2012.

An interesting twist, which might just be sloppy reporting, is that the news is of a new deal between SL and Sky, not the RFL and Sky. What might be the implications of this?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#55 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, wishful thinking i guess. Apparently discussions over TV contract were only with SKY, no others spoken to (according to the wonderful world of twitter).

Instigated by Sky, one would imagine, so they could lock in as many sports as possible without BT getting involved.  (Although, who knows, twitter may be wrong!)

Until we actually see how much it's worth there is very little way of judging if this is a good deal or not.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#56 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

There is already a thread on this.... :-)

Two threads now merged.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#57 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

fantastic news.....now lets talk money...

its gotta be upwards of £150-160m hasn't it???

Edited by roughyedspud, 30 January 2014 - 09:51 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#58 dkgfd

dkgfd
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Not sure I'm happy about the order of the press release on skysports. We're second after the British and Irish Lions RU tour in 2017!

I have seen some of BT sports and I must admit I'm pretty jealous about how they promote their club rugby union. I can never see Sky doing anything like that. As another poster said, a quality magazine show is essential.

errr.........is it scaramanga?

#59 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Yes that's right. Such claims were based upon Sky stating that they no longer had any interest in the Championship when they dropped their coverage in 2012.

An interesting twist, which might just be sloppy reporting, is that the news is of a new deal between SL and Sky, not the RFL and Sky. What might be the implications of this?

It's clearly stated by the RFL and Sky so let's assume they know who the deal is between.

I guess it leaves the door open for Championship 1 clubs (remember them?) to be nice to Premier Sports - and for the Super League shareholders to agree how to distribute the money.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#60 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

Brilliant news

Parky and his band of doom mongers will be crying in their chips today, Sky are showing 2nd tier rugby, appear to have strongly backed the new structure and even appear to be paying for the privilege.

The new structure bringing financial beneits, who would have thunk it?

Well done RFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users