TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Sky to show championship and superleague in new 5 year tv deal

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

Just been announced. I'd say that's good news ! Think the deal starts next season

#2 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Good news for whom DTID?

More income for the Rams? No details of the value of the deal have been released.

Better coverage for the Championship? Up to 20 games per year is the claim by the RFL.

Better value for the fans? Not for those who pay their own bills it isn't.

A better standard of coverage? the commentary on Premier Sports is far better.

I don't regard it as good news at all.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#3 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Eddie and Stevo won't be doing it in a couple of seasons. Maybe dave woods will join sky or baz and terry will do the coverage. I believe sky will probs give clubs more money or some money, something which premier doesn't give us? Wel just have to see

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 30 January 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#4 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Could be a dangerous decision to commit on a long deal
There are new players at the table in BT & premier sports...

Price of sport will be driven up in competition and in the end it will be the fan that covers sky's extra expenditure

Would have been better renegotiating at the table with all 3

Listened to talksport last night cheapest ticket available for west ham fans was £42

Is the product really worth 42 smackers of a 0-0 draw.

Personally I don't think it's great news

Don't forget how quick sky dropped the championship rugby

Some of us have longer memories than others ;)

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Eddie and Stevo won't be doing it in a couple of seasons. Maybe dave woods will join sky or baz and terry will do the coverage. I believe sky will probs give clubs more money or some money, something which premier doesn't give us? Wel just have to see

Whereas the fans will have to give Sky £20 more per month - is that good?

It is interesting to note that the RFL/SL have said nothing at all about the value of the deal. I believe that they would have been shouting from the rooftops if there had been a large increase don't you? Given also that there hasn't yet been agreement amongst the SL clubs about how the money will be carved up under the league restructure do you also believe that there is a good chance of Championship clubs getting more than peanuts from this deal?

As Coolie says why did the RFL only negotiate with Sky? (They have stated unequivocally that there was only one bidder involved in the discussion.)

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

However it will save the Sky bill payers £10 per month.

#7 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

Assuming that the Sky rates stay the same, of course.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#8 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Virgin will charge customers £7.99 per month for Premier Sports from 1st March and as BSJ indicated, with better commentary. Remove Sky Sports coverage and save around £27 to £35 depending on "package" in the contract.
BSkyB, I believe, charge £9.99 for Premier Sports coverage. Don't they also charge separately for their sports coverage?

As an aside Coolie, I heard yesterday that fans purchasing tickets for football via the ticket selling companies, (Ticketmaster being the largest of those I understand), have to pay an additional 11% of the face value of that ticket on average (can be as great as 25% extra) plus admin. and postage charges.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

As a suspicious individual I can't help but be struck by the fact that Championship/RLWC repeats are suddenly disappearing from Premier Sport's schedules as from next week. This looks like a bit of pique to me at the treatment that they have received from the RFL, and we shouldn't expect anything but a basic service from them next year.

It is interesting also to note that the meeting of SL chairmen is scheduled for next week when they will all gather around the pot wielding their spoons. I wouldn't care to speculate what might dribble down to such as us, but maybe others have a better idea.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Also on the verge of a new championship season where premier sports will be finalising their schedule for the season to be greeted with this news

Surely will tarnish the effort they will put in knowing there been thrown on the scrap heap...

Biggest fear sky rule sport

Then we're all slaves then

;)

#11 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

If Premier have gone in a huff as you suggest BSJ then maybe there will be no Championship on TV this season. The clubs would be very happy to not have any matches moved to Monday/Tuesday with no financial assistance so it may well be that the deal is ripped up.

#12 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 829 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

Premier have pulled out as of now so its up to sky to show championship games..

#13 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Premier will not be showing our league games next season now, according to Martin Sadler on twitter which I'm glad considering the clubs in championship get no money and looked set to have to play on a Monday and Tuesday night. Shouldn't lose 500 plus of the fev gate now

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 30 January 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#14 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 829 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Premier will not be showing our league games next season now, according to Martin Sadler on twitter which I'm glad considering the clubs in championship get no money and looked set to have to play on a Monday and Tuesday night. Shouldn't lose 500 plus of the fev gate now

how do you know you were deffo on against fev? Iv heard you turned it down and batley were on at leigh

#15 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Also on the verge of a new championship season where premier sports will be finalising their schedule for the season to be greeted with this news

Surely will tarnish the effort they will put in knowing there been thrown on the scrap heap...

Biggest fear sky rule sport

Then we're all slaves then

;)

I don't really see what we are losing by being shown on Sky rather than PS?

We are likely to get increased viewing figures by being shown on Sky rather than Premier Sports for starters, most Rugby League fans support SL clubs and will have the most interest in watching SL games so they will have Sky Sports anyway. Not many I'd bet would pay an extra £10 per month more to watch lower levels when they can already watch 2 SL games per week. If CH games are included, they are far more likely to watch. In theory it should be far easier to get sponsorship for the championship clubs due to the increase in exposure.

I think we are all slaves to Sky anyway. They own the majority of football, all Super League and cricket. If you have any interest in cricket and rugby for example, there is only one place to see it. I hate the fact you have to pay to watch sport as much as anyone, don't get me wrong. However I find the coverage extremely good on Sky, and to some extent I applaud what they have done.

None of the terrestrial channels would show the same amount of sport as Sky do even if it was free. How much did they show when it was?

I also think they have raised the bar in terms of presentation too. It's all personal opinion but I find Sky's coverage far better than the BBC's or Premier Sports for that matter, I find Noble as interesting as watching paint dry, and they were still getting the names of players wrong, even in the world cup on PS. 

It is easy to slate Sky, but what has any of the other channel done for the game? Premier Sports coverage of the championship didn't really do any favours for the likes of us in the championship in my opinion, in fact I think it cost all of the teams in terms of gate money with very little exposure other than to existing Championship clubs supporters. 

The clubs played games on a Thursday night to suit PS, in Batley's case, usually against better opposition like Halifax and Leigh at home, both of which would normally be amongst the biggest home gate of the season, and we got no money out of it to compensate for the reduction in attendance. At least Sky gave CH clubs money to help offset what we had lost in terms of fans watching on TV rather than coming to games. What did PS give us?

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 30 January 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#16 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

There will be no Championship RL on TV at all this season now that PS have pulled the plug. Maybe this won't impact in the obvious way by not getting any payment from PS in any case but quite a few clubs had been able to structure their sponsorship and advertising deals to exploit the possibility of TV appearances. That will now be thrown to the winds for the coming season.

I'm sure that most people on here pay their own subscriptions and won't relish paying out inflated fees to Virgin simply to be able to watch a couple of SL games every week. We aren't all slaves to soccer, no matter what the media may believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#17 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

I don't really see what we are losing by being shown on Sky rather than PS?

We are likely to get increased viewing figures by being shown on Sky rather than Premier Sports for starters, most Rugby League fans support SL clubs and will have the most interest in watching SL games so they will have Sky Sports anyway. Not many I'd bet would pay an extra £10 per month more to watch lower levels when they can already watch 2 SL games per week. If CH games are included, they are far more likely to watch. In theory it should be far easier to get sponsorship for the championship clubs due to the increase in exposure.

I think we are all slaves to Sky anyway. They own the majority of football, all Super League and cricket. If you have any interest in cricket and rugby for example, there is only one place to see it. I hate the fact you have to pay to watch sport as much as anyone, don't get me wrong. However I find the coverage extremely good on Sky, and to some extent I applaud what they have done.

None of the terrestrial channels would show the same amount of sport as Sky do even if it was free. How much did they show when it was?

I also think they have raised the bar in terms of presentation too. It's all personal opinion but I find Sky's coverage far better than the BBC's or Premier Sports for that matter, I find Noble as interesting as watching paint dry, and they were still getting the names of players wrong, even in the world cup on PS.

It is easy to slate Sky, but what has any of the other channel done for the game? Premier Sports coverage of the championship didn't really do any favours for the likes of us in the championship in my opinion, in fact I think it cost all of the teams in terms of gate money with very little exposure other than to existing Championship clubs supporters.

The clubs played games on a Thursday night to suit PS, in Batley's case, usually against better opposition like Halifax and Leigh at home, both of which would normally be amongst the biggest home gate of the season, and we got no money out of it to compensate for the reduction in attendance. At least Sky gave CH clubs money to help offset what we had lost in terms of fans watching on TV rather than coming to games. What did PS give us?

good post, I agree.

#18 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

No doubt Kingstone Press will be delighted to have lost all TV coverage from their sponsorship next season too. No Championship clubs will benefit from this next season.

As a side issue PS have retained all of the rights to NRL and SoO for the next 4 years. That means that it will still be much better value than Sky.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#19 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

I see what you mean BSJ with regards to kingstone press, wel have to see the full details of sky's package and it's rewards to the championship clubs. Maybe sky will now show championship games a year earlier?

#20 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Maybe the Kingstone Press Sponsorship had nothing to do with the coverage on PS, who knows the ins and outs of the deal? I have no idea what sort of viewing figures PS got for games either. The viewing figures may have been so low for CH games on PS that KP aren't in the least bit bothered

I can't believe the RFL hasn't kept KP in the loop in terms of the negotiations. But then again this is the RFL we are talking about, and it wouldn't surprise me and I'd heard some very damning rumours about the way the Northern Rail sponsorship ended from someone inside the RFL, so you never know. 

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 30 January 2014 - 07:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users