#21 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

RFL

Couldn't organize a lively gathering

At tetleys ;)

Sometimes I wonder what RL is run like in a parallel universe of www.thingsdonecorrectly.com

;)

#22 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

RFL

Couldn't organize a lively gathering

At tetleys ;)

Sometimes I wonder what RL is run like in a parallel universe of www.thingsdonecorrectly.com

;)

Before the world cup I would have agreed, but the RFL did a great job on that, It is just a pity they do not seem able to do the same promotion for the regular season. At least we are going back the P&R so that might add a few lost supporters back through the turnstiles now there is something to fight for. 

#23 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Oh let's praise the one success
In a bucket full of failures and mismanagement shall we

Don't forget the platform that supported and brought to the masses the whole event

Have unceremoniously been kicked in the nads and told to flip off.

Not very professional is that is it

The world cup was a great event
And something to build the reputation of the game... Instead another laughing stock showing

If there was a wrong way to have a dump

The RFL would find it

;)

Edited by coolie, 31 January 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#24 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Thought PS coverage of the World Cup was head and shoulders above anything Sky/BBC could muster so really disappointed how they have been excluded by the RFL.

I suppose if Championship Clubs are getting a slice of the pie then that's a plus, but in terms of making the game an appealing spectacle, PS laid the standard that many will find hard to match, let alone surpass.

Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#25 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Oh let's praise the one success
In a bucket full of failures and mismanagement shall we

Don't forget the platform that supported and brought to the masses the whole event

Have unceremoniously been kicked in the nads and told to flip off.

Not very professional is that is it

The world cup was a great event
And something to build the reputation of the game... Instead another laughing stock showing

If there was a wrong way to have a dump

The RFL would find it

;)

Hehe, Can't argue with there. ;)  For years I just thought they didn't have the capability to promote the game, then they deliver a really successful WC.

It could be down to the law of averages though, after so many mistakes even the RFL had to get something right eventually, even if it was by mistake.

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 31 January 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#26 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thought PS coverage of the World Cup was head and shoulders above anything Sky/BBC could muster so really disappointed how they have been excluded by the RFL.

I suppose if Championship Clubs are getting a slice of the pie then that's a plus, but in terms of making the game an appealing spectacle, PS laid the standard that many will find hard to match, let alone surpass.

I'm not sticking up for the RFL, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that PS have been shafted in this. I don't know any of the ins and outs of what went on, perhaps you could let me know what went on. It did seem a bit strange that the season is almost upon us and none of the games had been scheduled for TV as far as I knew, I don't remember the CH games being advertised during the WC either, so maybe the deal had just run its course.

I had heard rumours of our games being played on a Monday or Tuesday but there had been nothing official from either PS or the RFL publicised and certainly nothing on anyone's fixtures suggesting Monday and Tuesday night games AFAIK.

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 31 January 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#27 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Sky have tactically made life increasing difficult moving super league games around Monday night's to fill a hole left be premier league football,then Thursday night's in a direct clash with PS.. Sky had Friday Saturday & Sunday to pick from

Premier should have had Sunday night's 6.30pm kick offs if sky was having Thursday's

Sky are wan#?!s

And I'm glad I do what I do

;)

#28 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Now that Sky (and the RFL by assisting) have succeeded in the downfall of Premier Sports broadcasting our leagues, wonder if Sky will now drop Thursday matches?

I blame the RFL for this shambles, even without knowing the details. They haven't even the courtesy to explain to the majority, we supporters, the details of their decision. They don't have to, but they should.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#29 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

I'm not sticking up for the RFL, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that PS have been shafted in this. I don't know any of the ins and outs of what went on, perhaps you could let me know what went on. It did seem a bit strange that the season is almost upon us and none of the games had been scheduled for TV as far as I knew, I don't remember the CH games being advertised during the WC either, so maybe the deal had just run its course.

I had heard rumours of our games being played on a Monday or Tuesday but there had been nothing official from either PS or the RFL publicised and certainly nothing on anyone's fixtures suggesting Monday and Tuesday night games AFAIK.

The RFL have admitted that they had discussions with only Sky - no other broadcaster was consulted. To those of us old enough to remember this smacks to me of the '95 deal where it was put on the table by Maurice Lindsay on the basis of "take it or leave it". The arrangement with PS to broadcast Championship games ran through the coming season too but they have decided to withdraw from that forthwith in the light of their treatment by the RFL.

PS do retain all of the NRL & SoO rights for the next four years though. This means that the choice will be two SL games per week on Sky for £25 pm or eight NRL games on PS for £10 (or less) pm. I know which I shall be going for.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#30 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Now that Sky (and the RFL by assisting) have succeeded in the downfall of Premier Sports broadcasting our leagues, wonder if Sky will now drop Thursday matches?

I blame the RFL for this shambles, even without knowing the details. They haven't even the courtesy to explain to the majority, we supporters, the details of their decision. They don't have to, but they should.

Not sure why you can blame RFL and Sky for PS spitting the dummy out. They could have continued to put the games on but chose not to. Did they have a contract for 2015 if not then I'm sure someone within PS could have worked out the possibility of them losing the contract was there.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#31 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

The RFL have admitted that they had discussions with only Sky - no other broadcaster was consulted. To those of us old enough to remember this smacks to me of the '95 deal where it was put on the table by Maurice Lindsay on the basis of "take it or leave it". The arrangement with PS to broadcast Championship games ran through the coming season too but they have decided to withdraw from that forthwith in the light of their treatment by the RFL.

PS do retain all of the NRL & SoO rights for the next four years though. This means that the choice will be two SL games per week on Sky for £25 pm or eight NRL games on PS for £10 (or less) pm. I know which I shall be going for.

I had heard from KN that the RFL and CH clubs got nothing for coverage from Premier. Apparently they could not afford to pay anything for it, as it cost them so much to televise games. So what makes you think they were suddenly going to pay to televise games, or even could pay for them? I'm pretty sure PS did well out of the RLWC. I didn't see any figures of what they paid for the rights to it, but I would imagine they sold the rights to Australia and the BBC for the highlights shows etc. 

As you may already know, I have very little faith in the RFL, but with the amount of pressure on them from Lenagan etc. there is no way that even the RFL would effectively hang themselves by not negotiating a cracking deal with Sky surely? It would be just the leverage required by the anti RFL chairmen to get the current lot out, so a poor deal would provide more than enough ammunition to oust them all at Red Hall.

Since the announcement of the re-introduction of P&R, I have been wondering how they will narrow the gap in funding between the CH and SL clubs. There was no way the RFL could reduce the funding to the SL clubs to increase the amount given to the CH. 12 out of the 14 SL clubs made significant losses according to articles I'd read. Reducing the funding would only see them fall deeper in to trouble. So this may be the Silver bullet we have all been waiting for. 

It states in the article below that BT Sports had expressed interest in RL, maybe Wood had gone in to the negotiations with Sky with a figure in mind after his chat with BT Sports and he got what he wanted or maybe even more than he expected from Sky, so there was no need to discuss the matter with anyone else? Sky might be planning on levelling the playing field a little with the NRL with this new deal, to meet the wishes of Koukash and a few other chairmen, again no-one really knows at this stage, so lets just wait and see what we get out of the deal. 

In the article below, it all looks very positive except for the parachute payments part to me, which it states are likely.

I just hope that all the CH clubs fight there corner on that one and win; or at least ensure the gap in funding between them and the two relegated clubs is not great enough to make a significant difference between playing budgets for 2015 or P&R will become a farce again, like when Hull KR, Castleford and Salford were promoted.  

http://www.theguardi...igel-wood-rugby

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 31 January 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#32 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

I do hope that the deal means a significant increase in money for Championship clubs but will believe it when I hear details. You will have noticed I'm sure that no actual details have emerged at all from the RFL/SL yet with the only information, currently being treated as gospel by some, having come from a journalist's tweet. We should also be aware that next week there is a meeting of the SL club chairmen to decide upon how any money will be divided up when the deal kicks in, and that doesn't exactly fill me with hope either.

Another point to consider is that, whatever the size of the deal is, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is all in cash. Broadcasters nowadays have a tendency to negotiate a package deal that has a nominal value but that a proportion of that will be represented by the investment in broadcasting, marketing and promotion so any expectation of the game becoming awash with cash should be tempered I hope. (Similarly the deal with PS was made up entirely of a "payment in kind" which related to the costs of broadcasting and promoting the games.) The argument behind such deals is that it gives the clubs and the RFL much greater leverage in negotiating sponsorship agreements but these are of course dependent upon the degree of exposure.

Now if you look at some of the details of the announcement it talks about Sky broadcasting 100 matches per season, of which SL games will make up 80. this leaves 20 to feature Championship clubs but we can reasonably expect these to feature mainly on the 2nd group of 8 when the play-off leagues kick in at the back end of the 2015 season. In other words we can expect to see even less of our respective teams on Sky in 2015 than we did on PS in 2013, resulting in fairly limited sponsorship opportunities in the long run.

I am sure that this deal is good for the game, but less sure that it is good for the game as a whole. Just look what has happened to soccer since they took the controlling interest in its growth.

:elf:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#33 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

It does not matter how much SL clubs receive in funding, it is the financial discipline of cost management which means clubs will continue to lose money.

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

It does not matter how much SL clubs receive in funding, it is the financial discipline of cost management which means clubs will continue to lose money.

Agreed, and all other professional sports in this country are in an identical state.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#35 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

Spot on WR. it might be too much to hope for, but maybe the RFL will increase the salary cap but it takes all expenses in to account, rather than just the highest 25 player's wages. If they did, and managed it properly it would go a long way to ensuring team did not overspend/mismanage finances.

#36 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Spot on WR. it might be too much to hope for, but maybe the RFL will increase the salary cap but it takes all expenses in to account, rather than just the highest 25 player's wages. If they did, and managed it properly it would go a long way to ensuring team did not overspend/mismanage finances.

You raise an interesting conundrum here P&H which must be clarified before the 3x8 system comes in, and that is that the current SL and Championship regulations are vastly different in defining what is and isn't counted under their respective salary caps. (And for the moment I am deliberately ignoring that the height of these caps are also very different.) Because SL operates under a full time aegis then the inclusion of all expenditure on a club's first team squad is included whereas in the Championship, with most players still being part-time, there is presently a much more liberal interpretation of expenditure. This will be a very difficult problem to solve whilst maintaining the integrity of a cap and being properly fair to all sides.

There will be enough grist to keep these forums milling for many a month I'm sure.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#37 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

See today's League express for more details of the financial rewards to come from the Sky deal from 2015 onwards.

The two clubs relegated from SL will receive £788,000 and £787,000.

The teams who finish 1st and 2nd in the Championship this year will receive £550,00 and £500,000 respectively in 2015.

Clubs finishing between 3rd and 12th will receive £200,000 to £150,000 on a sliding scale in 2015.

Clubs in C1 will receive £75,000 each.

Which clubs will spend up to the hilt and beyond in order to get the cash in 2015 i wonder?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#38 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

I'm surprised the gap is between 2&3 I would have thought between 4&5 to fit in when the leagues split. Either way it's a big increase certainly not crumbs.
I would think most clubs will add the wage bill to try and get those top 2 spaces. How long till we end up with leagues within leagues. Fev hammered Hull with quite a few first teamers in give them a few hundred thousand extra for the wage bill and there would be some lobsided scores.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#39 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Wonder what dewsbury will do with their £75k eh Eddie?

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#40 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

I'm surprised the gap is between 2&3 I would have thought between 4&5 to fit in when the leagues split. Either way it's a big increase certainly not crumbs.
I would think most clubs will add the wage bill to try and get those top 2 spaces. How long till we end up with leagues within leagues. Fev hammered Hull with quite a few first teamers in give them a few hundred thousand extra for the wage bill and there would be some lobsided scores.

The gap is between 2 and 3 this next season. Combine those clubs who finish 1 & 2 with the two relegated clubs and, based upon resources alone, that will give you the probable top 4 who will make up the half of the 2nd eight.

I think it's called a stacked deck.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users