TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Premier Sports pulls out of the Championship

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

I'm hearing that Premier Sports has pulled the plug on its Championship coverage this season.

They are apparently very unhappy at having been kept in the dark by the RFL over the recent TV negotiations.

Disappointing for Championship supporters, I would suggest.

#2 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 798 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Doubtfully disappointing to the clubs though considering they got next to nothing, if absolutely nothing from Premier Sports moneywise. Very poor if that's why they're pulling the plug and I think that'd show quite a bit of disrespect to the fans who signed up for the Championship games. If true, I'll definitely be cancelling my subscription. I can live without the NRL
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,457 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hardly surprising but disappointing anyway.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Is there not a Contract?

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Is there not a Contract?

I was wondering that myself.

The RFL aren't obliged to contact everyone about TV rights (though you would expect they would). I doubt the clubs will be disappointed though as it means they won't end up having to have the mooted Monday/Tuesday matches

I wonder if Sky would be willing to take them this year...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Disapointing if true, I really enjoy championship action, no matter who is playing.

That said, it did depress crowd numbers to a degree and the clubs got nothing out of it.

#7 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

I'm hearing that Premier Sports has pulled the plug on its Championship coverage this season.

They are apparently very unhappy at having been kept in the dark by the RFL over the recent TV negotiations.

Disappointing for Championship supporters, I would suggest.

im delighted I don't think it was of any monetary value to the clubs and there were rumour they were going to show games on a Monday or Tuesday which would harm attendances

#8 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Disappointing if true and smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Surely they would have been better off pushing subscriptions this season in the hope of keeping hold of them for the season after.

And what would be wrong with them covering championship one games if theres little cost involved to them.

#9 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

I'd rather we had something like "Scrumdown", shown on terrestrial TV on a Sunday night, doubling up as a news and results programme for the Championship. It would be worthwhile giving it to ITV4 at no cost, because it would promote the game outside Super League. 

#10 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Premier Sports @PremierSportsTV 1m

@MartynSadler yes real shame we won't be covering @RLChampionships this year or into future now. Focus on NRL.

@MartynSadler no panic here. Still have every game from the NRL for next 4 years, SOO, 4 Nations & RLWC2017 and looking to add NRL progs.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#11 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

The RFL were under no obligation to consult them and they knew as we all did they don't have a bean.

They will have a bit less now as my subscription goes in the morning.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#12 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

Set of nobs.
After world cup coverage what a u.turn.

Goodbye premier sports subscription

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Well I'm still subscribing. Its a brilliant channel.

Posted Image

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,457 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Get them to put the handball back on, eh?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

Get them to put the handball back on, eh?

8 games of NRL each weekend will do for me!

Posted Image

#16 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

It might be a blessing in disguise. They pick big games and fans choose to stay at home on a Thursday. It might mean more fans through the gate now.

I did enjoy the coverage and its rustic style but I'll get over it. They have never been in a postition to play hardball.

I'm sure sky would pick up a few late on in the season if the competition gets exciting.

Question now is cancel or continue for the NRL.
"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#17 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Given the service premier did for RL in world cup and enabling us to watch more than the England games and the abysmal treatment by Sky on the world cup.... I would say its a real kick in the face to premier...

#18 dcc

dcc
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

With all NRL games available to watch via some bookies http://www.rlbet.co....e-nrl-streaming I certaintly won't be signing up

#19 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

Given the service premier did for RL in world cup and enabling us to watch more than the England games and the abysmal treatment by Sky on the world cup.... I would say its a real kick in the face to premier...

Unfortunately it's a tough old world out there. It's not just TV they are fighting over but who will help us run our ever more connected lives.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#20 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

I reckon I know more people who streamed premier sports rugby league games for free than actually subscribe.
I won't imagine their losses will be significant.... tho I could be wrong.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users