Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Premier Sports pulls out of the Championship

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#21 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

Unfortunately it's a tough old world out there. It's not just TV they are fighting over but who will help us run our ever more connected lives.

yep, your right but my comment was more about it being understandable they are pulling out of broadcasting championship... even if they are a little "rough and ready" it must be costly to broadcast against the amount of revenue it brings in. I would guess more RL fans subscribe for nrl rather than championship.

#22 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

The RFL were under no obligation to consult them and they knew as we all did they don't have a bean.

They will have a bit less now as my subscription goes in the morning.

I'm sure I just had a bad experience which is not representative of PS's normal service standards but I would heartily recommend anyone who does cancel to follow up their phone call  with written/email confirmation. 

#23 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Set of nobs.
After world cup coverage what a u.turn.
Goodbye premier sports subscription

Premier were not invited to discussions about showing the Championship in future seasons. You can hardly blame them for spitting their dummies. Appalling (mis)management by the RFL.

#24 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

Given the service premier did for RL in world cup and enabling us to watch more than the England games and the abysmal treatment by Sky on the world cup.... I would say its a real kick in the face to premier...

I'd agree with that. Whilst the RFL are under no obligation to include other organisations in negotiations, you'd have thought they'd have let existing partners know their intent before any final announcement had been made. Premier Sports will continue to be a partner of the RFL by virtue of their rights to England RL games. Therefore surely it would make sense not to annoy those partners, no matter the monetary value of that link. You can still be rutless whilst being open and honest organisation; surely that is a key to the credibility/reputation of the organisation?!   

I'd have also thought the RFL may have been keen on showing some Championship 1 games as well with Premier Sports being the obvious choice...

Edited by GeordieSaint, 30 January 2014 - 06:28 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#25 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

Question now is cancel or continue for the NRL.

You're joking, right? For less than a tenner you get over 30 NRL games. 30p each. Why cancel?

#26 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

Premier were not invited to discussions about showing the Championship in future seasons. You can hardly blame them for spitting their dummies. Appalling (mis)management by the RFL.

Without knowing what, if any, additional value the RFL were able to get by offering Sky what seems to have been a period of exclusive negotiation its impossible to know if it was mismanagement. That said I can see why Premier would decide to pull out.

#27 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

The RFL said a while back that they wanted rugby league on a single channel. That was always going to be Sky. I imagine the fact that Sky have picked Thursday for their SL matches, leaving Premier with a dreary Monday night slot might have been a factor. With the cost of broadcasting the matches against the additional subscribers they would have got for Monday night championship rugby! you can see why they have dropped it.

The Sky deal seems to have come out of the blue, and reports are that the RFL got a good price. That doesn't sound like mis-management to me.

#28 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

yep, your right but my comment was more about it being understandable they are pulling out of broadcasting championship... even if they are a little "rough and ready" it must be costly to broadcast against the amount of revenue it brings in. I would guess more RL fans subscribe for nrl rather than championship.

They are not pulling out of showing the championship they've been out bid by Sky. That's always a danger when you are recieving content for free.

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

They are not pulling out of showing the championship they've been out bid by Sky. That's always a danger when you are recieving content for free.

they are pulling out this year when they have the rights.

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

You're joking, right? For less than a tenner you get over 30 NRL games. 30p each. Why cancel?

who watches 30 games a month?

With Championship games on there i may have watched 2 games of rl on Premier per week. Now it is unlikely and I may cancel.

#31 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

The RFL said a while back that they wanted rugby league on a single channel.

That doesn't make sense as:

a. The Challenge Cup on BBC and internationals on the BBC and Premier Sports.

b. Competition is good from TV companies to get the best deal; BT's emergence will have fuelled this new deal.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#32 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Given the service premier did for RL in world cup and enabling us to watch more than the England games and the abysmal treatment by Sky on the world cup.... I would say its a real kick in the face to premier...

Exactly right but sadly fairly typical of the RFL which is not an organisation well known for its communication skills.

I'm upset by this outcome as I have really enjoyed their coverage of the Championships and I think that coverage was important to the Championships too.  How will this affect Kingstone Press I wonder? 

#33 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

I'm upset by this outcome as I have really enjoyed their coverage of the Championships and I think that coverage was important to the Championships too.  How will this affect Kingstone Press I wonder? 

And other businesses who may have got involved in clubs due to TV exposure via Premier Sports? There are always second and third order effects from decisions, which people never really take into account...

Edited by GeordieSaint, 30 January 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#34 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

they are pulling out this year when they have the rights.

My fault I missed read the Sky website. I thought they were covering the championship this year but its from next year.

#35 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

And other businesses who may have got involved in clubs due to TV exposure via Premier Sports? There are always second and third order effects from decisions, which people never really take into account...

Absolutely.

Hopefully the RFL has heard Premier Sports and will now wake up and actually communicate with them.  I won't be holding my breath mind.

#36 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

The clubs received no payment for being shown and with it being on a minority subscription channel they wouldn't have increased their sponsorship much. Add this to the fact that clubs biggest games were moved to a Thursday night will mean as a fan of a championship club I won't be losing too much sleep over this. In fact I think this is great for the clubs at this level.

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

The Sky deal seems to have come out of the blue, and reports are that the RFL got a good price. That doesn't sound like mis-management to me.

Putting your eggs in one basket is always mismanagement IMO.  They may be delieriously happy with the (£££ unknown) deal with Sky but to do that deal while entirely ignoring other partners is stupid in the extreme, especially one which has done so much for the sport as Premier has done, showing Championships (including C1), the Festival of RL world cups, college rugby league, Canada v USA, the NRL and a wonderful world cup.  How utterly crass of the RFL not to discuss the matter with them.

#38 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

The clubs received no payment for being shown and with it being on a minority subscription channel they wouldn't have increased their sponsorship much. Add this to the fact that clubs biggest games were moved to a Thursday night will mean as a fan of a championship club I won't be losing too much sleep over this. In fact I think this is great for the clubs at this level.

How do you know that Kingstone Press wasn't influenced by the Championships being shown on Premier Sports?  Kingstone Press DID pay money to the RFL for sponsorship and now their only avenue of TV exposure has been closed. Their deal ends in 2014. 

#39 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

How do you know that Kingstone Press wasn't influenced by the Championships being shown on Premier Sports? Kingstone Press DID pay money to the RFL for sponsorship and now their only avenue of TV exposure has been closed. Their deal ends in 2014.

I don't know. I posted my opinion.

The clubs get next to nothing out of this deal and play their big games on Thursday nights and therefore lose revenue as the crowds are never as big as a game on a Sunday / Saturday.

#40 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Well I don't, and I think that it is particularly bad for supporters of Championship clubs who will now have a SL or nothing offer from Sky for exorbitant prices or NRL and SoO from Premier at reasonable prices. In the meantime none of them will be broadcasting any Championship games which, for entertainment, were the equal of SL last year.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)