Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Premier Sports pulls out of the Championship

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#41 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Well I don't, and I think that it is particularly bad for supporters of Championship clubs who will now have a SL or nothing offer from Sky for exorbitant prices or NRL and SoO from Premier at reasonable prices. In the meantime none of them will be broadcasting any Championship games which, for entertainment, were the equal of SL last year.

Actually, as one who watched every Championship match on Premier Sports last season as well as almost every Superleague match I can confidently say that there were many times when the quality and entertainment of the Championship was far superior to that found in Superleague and the quality of the commentary was far superior to anything found on Sky.

I will sorely miss Premier's coverage AND the Championship matches. 

#42 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Putting your eggs in one basket is always mismanagement IMO.

That doesn't make much sense.

If you could get £200m for one channel to have it all or much less for shared is that mismanagement? Is it heck.

In 2014 and beyond we will see RL on Sky, BBC and Premier - seems like they've done what you want.

#43 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

That doesn't make much sense.

If you could get £200m for one channel to have it all or much less for shared is that mismanagement? Is it heck.

That isn't what is happening though.  Firstly, in 2014 there will be no matches shown from the Championships.  Secondly, where does it say that we will enjoy a Championship game every week?  My guess would be that Sky will only show those Championship games which fall into the final period of the daft new system they have adopted when the fight is on for promotion spots.  And we won't see any Championship 1 games at all or any Canadian rugby league or college rugby league or random rugby league events that Premier opted to screen in addition to their contracted schedule.  For those of us who enjoy the world of rugby league, as opposed to planet Superleague, the loss of Premier Sports this season is a big loss.

#44 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

Set of nobs.
After world cup coverage what a u.turn.

Goodbye premier sports subscription

see post #10

#45 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

That isn't what is happening though. Firstly, in 2014 there will be no matches shown from the Championships. Secondly, where does it say that we will enjoy a Championship game every week? My guess would be that Sky will only show those Championship games which fall into the final period of the daft new system they have adopted when the fight is on for promotion spots. And we won't see any Championship 1 games at all or any Canadian rugby league or college rugby league or random rugby league events that Premier opted to screen in addition to their contracted schedule. For those of us who enjoy the world of rugby league, as opposed to planet Superleague, the loss of Premier Sports this season is a big loss.

Why cant premier sports still show Canadian RL and college RL?

#46 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

I'm not saying they can't, although they are less likely to having lost the Championships coverage as they won't have the RL team in place anymore (not necessary for the Canadian RL but they were the team in place for college RL and other UK based RL coverage).

#47 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,960 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

Given that they're committing to international RL and the NRL (and SOO) there's no reason at all.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#48 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,960 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

That isn't what is happening though.  Firstly, in 2014 there will be no matches shown from the Championships.  Secondly, where does it say that we will enjoy a Championship game every week?  My guess would be that Sky will only show those Championship games which fall into the final period of the daft new system they have adopted when the fight is on for promotion spots.  And we won't see any Championship 1 games at all or any Canadian rugby league or college rugby league or random rugby league events that Premier opted to screen in addition to their contracted schedule.  For those of us who enjoy the world of rugby league, as opposed to planet Superleague, the loss of Premier Sports this season is a big loss.

So, to clarify, the RFL should have turned down a rumoured 200m+ deal so that a small satellite channel could continue to show games for free?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#49 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Pretty sure Premier showed the university rugby league before they ever started showing the championship games. Now, do I watch enough nrl to keep premier? ???

#50 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Actually, as one who watched every Championship match on Premier Sports last season as well as almost every Superleague match I can confidently say that there were many times when the quality and entertainment of the Championship was far superior to that found in Superleague and the quality of the commentary was far superior to anything found on Sky.

I will sorely miss Premier's coverage AND the Championship matches.

premier sports cost championship clubs money showing games so for that reason alone it is great news plus now I don't have the prospect of having to go to a game on a Monday or Tuesday night

#51 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

So, to clarify, the RFL should have turned down a rumoured 200m+ deal so that a small satellite channel could continue to show games for free?

yes seems crazy I think they should be straight back on the phone grovelling to premier sports to come back

#52 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

That isn't what is happening though. Firstly, in 2014 there will be no matches shown from the Championships. Secondly, where does it say that we will enjoy a Championship game every week? My guess would be that Sky will only show those Championship games which fall into the final period of the daft new system they have adopted when the fight is on for promotion spots. And we won't see any Championship 1 games at all or any Canadian rugby league or college rugby league or random rugby league events that Premier opted to screen in addition to their contracted schedule. For those of us who enjoy the world of rugby league, as opposed to planet Superleague, the loss of Premier Sports this season is a big loss.

The reason there is no Championship coverage this year is because the cowboys you hold in such high regard have spat their dummy out. The 7 year commitment from Sky makes up for this blip.

You are guessing what coverage Sky will give. It has been confirmed there will be regular coverage and as the number of games will increase from 80 to 'over 100' per year it suggests it'll be more than just the playoffs.

From 2015 we will see more top flight RL than ever. As hasbeen mentioned Premier still have plenty of RL we'll see if theycut off their nose to spite their face.

#53 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Now you are just being silly. 

#54 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

The reason there is no Championship coverage this year is because the cowboys you hold in such high regard have spat their dummy out. The 7 year commitment from Sky makes up for this blip.

Sky are showing matches from both Championships every week from this season are they?  Are they showing weekly Championships games from 2015 even?  And why does a 7 year commitment from Sky make up for it?

#55 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

You are guessing what coverage Sky will give. It has been confirmed there will be regular coverage and as the number of games will increase from 80 to 'over 100' per year it suggests it'll be more than just the playoffs.

You are guessing too!

That's just my point.

#56 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

premier sports cost championship clubs money showing games so for that reason alone it is great news plus now I don't have the prospect of having to go to a game on a Monday or Tuesday night

The same reasoning applies to Sky.  Whenever a match is on TV it will keep some punters at home or in the pub rather than at the game.  That's no reason to bin a partner who has actually done a very good job at covering the Championships, plus other RL events.

#57 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Sky are showing matches from both Championships every week from this season are they? Are they showing weekly Championships games from 2015 even? And why does a 7 year commitment from Sky make up for it?

what does this post mean? It simply doesnt make sense.

They will be showing regular Championship coverage from 2015-2021 - 7 years.

On the 7 year point, I am saying we have long term security - will Premier even be here in 7 years.

#58 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

The same reasoning applies to Sky. Whenever a match is on TV it will keep some punters at home or in the pub rather than at the game. That's no reason to bin a partner who has actually done a very good job at covering the Championships, plus other RL events.

The difference being Sky are paying good money to make up for that inconvenience.

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

You are guessing too!

That's just my point.

I quoted what was said. Regular coverage.

#60 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

what does this post mean? It simply doesnt make sense.

They will be showing regular Championship coverage from 2015-2021 - 7 years.

On the 7 year point, I am saying we have long term security - will Premier even be here in 7 years.

What is regular coverage?

Edited by Saintslass, 30 January 2014 - 08:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users