Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Premier Sports pulls out of the Championship

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#161 Gansons Optician

Gansons Optician
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

It wasn't perfect but it is nice to be able to eat in a different restaurant from time to time, don't you think?

Or should it be the Sky-way or the highway?

The best thing about Premier was people were paying a tenner a month purely to watch RL, so they could aim their commentary etc at anoraks like ourselves. Sky has to cater to a much wider audience, which is largely the reason why people get would up with their commentary team.

#162 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

When they believed that it was about which day they were going to broadcast Championship games this season. They were filleted, just admit it.

If only they'd put in a bigger offer then.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#163 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Hmm, not convinced by that. Not at all.

We'll just have to disagree! ;)

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#164 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

I suspect Sky would have minded. Exclusivity is important here.

We have witnessed first hand on here fans saying that they cancelled Sky and subscribed only to Premier as they can get their RL fix on there, with the NRL, SOO, Championship and Internationals actually being a pretty well rounded package from Premier. This package now looks a hell of a lot weaker, for the same price. I'm sure the numbers Sky lost would be small, but the point is that Sky will want anybody interested in RL to subscribe to them.
Sky are paying around £3m per year to Championship clubs under the new deal, I'm sure they want exclusivity for that.

I suspect a more positive approach for Premier would have been to enter into dialogue with a view to seeing what other coverage may be available (Northern Rail Cup, representative friendlies etc). This is a rare situation where the broadcaster needs RL more than we need them.

NR cup is no more..... I presume that if there was no split but P&R was there they may have hoped the interest was there......to be profitable

also they will definitely screen the next world cup as they wont be filming, they will just need a studio in the UK!

#165 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

No doubt you feel the same about Championship clubs?

What has the Championship clubs got to do with the inability of Premier Sports to properly fund a Super League contract.

#166 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

I rang PS today to cancel my subscription that I have had for 2 years and only renewed it on 20th January.    They made me an offer of a £40 refund which I have accepted and they were very apologetic about not showing Championship RL this season.

PS may not directly have paid anything to Championship clubs but I would wager that the RFL marketing people used their connection when they were striking the sponsorship deal with Kingstone.     Sky didn't want Championship rugby league and that showed when the rugby league magazine programme Boots ' n All became a weekly Super League programme.   Can anyone remember the last time they devoted more than a passing 2 or 3 minutes to mention Championship games on that programme?

This deal has enabled them to get rid of a rival with the help of the RFL and we will find out once again just how much Sky are interested in Championship games.   

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#167 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

The best thing about Premier was people were paying a tenner a month purely to watch RL, so they could aim their commentary etc at anoraks like ourselves.

That is what I will miss about Premier's Championship coverage; that and the homely style of their presentation which they became adept at over time.  Their pundits were always articulate, intelligent and knowledgeable.  They may have had fewer camera angles available but who gives a monkey's nuts about that when there was usually some good rugby league on offer, some witty but informed and well expressed commentary and little insights like coach interviews and the innovation with the video ref, sponsored by LoveRugbyLeague.com. 

Such a shame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users