RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

premier sports

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Just heard they are choosing not to broadcast championship games this season. Fallen out with rfl over screening early week games.

Heard owt?

Edited by 9' oller, 30 January 2014 - 05:46 PM.

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#2 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

Its down to sky deal in 2015 and they'v pulled out with effect so hopefully sky can sort a deal out now..

#3 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

All games on Sundays more or less then and no trips to the back of beyond on Thursday nights - not all bad.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

At the end of the day and despite the fact I enjoy my championship rugby the games on Premier sports lost the clubs in our league quite a bit of money. So for that reason I will wait to subscribe to sky again in 2015
  • Pride & Heritage likes this

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#5 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

It will be interesting to see what the sponsorship deal is for SL2. Let's face it, it can't be worse for us than the PS deal, where the clubs had to play on Thursday nights, reducing travelling support and we received no compensation for the losses in gate money.

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 30 January 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#6 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

What happens to the Kingston press cider sponsoship of the championships?

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#7 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

I'm sorry to see it go.I could watch all the Championship Games and also every game in the recent World Cup.Would I have been able to do that if Sky had, had the rights to those games?

#8 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Just rang premier sports to cancel, and have been offered the channel for £3.99 a month to stay - so now get the NRL games for less than half price.

If anyone is staying with them just for the NRL make sure you ring to cancel and get the reduced rate.

Edited by buford t justice, 31 January 2014 - 12:43 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#9 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Yeah just did it got it for 3 months will contact them in 3 months time again to see if they will try again .

#10 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

same here just got same deal.... i know i'm been a bit selfish as someone who can't make most games due to distance and work ... will miss there been no televised games this season

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#11 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

Same here they put alot of effort into the show but the only down side is that they never gave us any money for televising games .

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

I thought the commentary and analysis on Premier Sports was way above and beyond what had previously been offered by Sky. However, their standards of production were pretty dreadful. I lost count of the number of mess-ups they made over the course of the last two seasons. Housing the commentary team and presenters under a 20 quid gazebo from Asda didn't exactly give the impression they were taking our league that seriously, either.

Edited by TheTerminator, 01 February 2014 - 02:13 PM.

Posted Image

#13 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Natalie quirk mmmmmmmmm

#14 phildog

phildog
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

I agree that their coverage was sometimes sloppy and sometimes dropped out altogether, but they covered the game from the poor mans' point of view, those teams who would never get near a TV game if left to SKY. I hope they are going to cover the WHOLE of the game, not just the top lot.
  • Blind side johnny likes this

#15 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

I agree that their coverage was sometimes sloppy and sometimes dropped out altogether, but they covered the game from the poor mans' point of view, those teams who would never get near a TV game if left to SKY. I hope they are going to cover the WHOLE of the game, not just the top lot.

It looks unlikely though doesn't it? Their commitment doesn't kick in until the 2015 season and refers to 80 SL games and 20 others. This is the year when the 3x8 system is inaugurated.and my guess is that they will feature games from the 2nd 8 as a major part of their Championship coverage.

Maybe I'm just being cynical but Sky ditched their Championship coverage without a backward glance and i don't think their attitude towards the "lesser" clubs will have changed at all.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#16 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

And what day will Sky cover the Championship matches? You can bet your life that they won't either move a SL match or show a Championship match if they can show a SL one.
  • flyfisherman likes this

#17 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

My problem with Premier sports as far as the Championship goes was the fact that no monies were paid to the home club for the telivising of the shown games. I have never known a sport that allows its games to be broadcast without a fee. The games that were on that involved Batley at home were usually against other top of the table sides  and our gates were well down to what we could have expected to have had the game been played on a Sunday afternoon. I have never been able to get my head around this one. Anyone else have thaughts on this.

#18 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

sky's 'boots and all' and 'setanta' paid a token gesture previousy i am told.

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

My problem with Premier sports as far as the Championship goes was the fact that no monies were paid to the home club for the telivising of the shown games. I have never known a sport that allows its games to be broadcast without a fee. The games that were on that involved Batley at home were usually against other top of the table sides  and our gates were well down to what we could have expected to have had the game been played on a Sunday afternoon. I have never been able to get my head around this one. Anyone else have thaughts on this.

Elite league speedway as broadcast by Sky was done without a fee. The deal was reported as being worth £XXX to the sport but this was all eaten up by the production costs and in-kind promotions.

League Express today features an interesting article regarding PS and their perception of the way forward together with their obvious displeasure at being dropped in the way that they were. They say that they would have been interested in broadcasting the Championship next year followed by the 3rd group of 8 in 2015 but their suggestion along these lines was bluntly rebuffed. In that case then their continued broadcasting on the Championship next year (at a loss to them) was completely worthless to them as they wouldn't be able to develop any momentum that they could exploit.

They've been shafted, pure and simple. It's also interesting to read ian Lenegan's views that the Sky deal is actually a bad one, although he is known to have a slightly different agenda to some.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

Elite league speedway as broadcast by Sky was done without a fee. The deal was reported as being worth £XXX to the sport but this was all eaten up by the production costs and in-kind promotions.

League Express today features an interesting article regarding PS and their perception of the way forward together with their obvious displeasure at being dropped in the way that they were. They say that they would have been interested in broadcasting the Championship next year followed by the 3rd group of 8 in 2015 but their suggestion along these lines was bluntly rebuffed. In that case then their continued broadcasting on the Championship next year (at a loss to them) was completely worthless to them as they wouldn't be able to develop any momentum that they could exploit.

They've been shafted, pure and simple. It's also interesting to read ian Lenegan's views that the Sky deal is actually a bad one, although he is known to have a slightly different agenda to some.

Thanks for that BSJ  but the point i was making was that it is not good business to give your product for no financial remuniration. EG the stobart deal. As i understood it the clubs were told they had to accept it by the RL board. For eg. if we at Batley were to play Halifax at home on a Thursday night our gate could be down by as many as 1000 with being on live tv. Away fans do not travel in numbers and with food and ticket sales etc it costs the club a hefty chunk of income. At a guess maybe £5000+ a lot of money to a championship club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users