RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

premier sports

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for that BSJ  but the point i was making was that it is not good business to give your product for no financial remuniration. EG the stobart deal. As i understood it the clubs were told they had to accept it by the RL board. For eg. if we at Batley were to play Halifax at home on a Thursday night our gate could be down by as many as 1000 with being on live tv. Away fans do not travel in numbers and with food and ticket sales etc it costs the club a hefty chunk of income. At a guess maybe £5000+ a lot of money to a championship club.

All of which is true and simply reflects how little power those outside of SL have. In the same way I don't believe that the non-SL clubs had any real say in whether the new deal was accepted or not.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 phildog

phildog
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Sky will continue to do what Sky does, begger the rest of us. This restructuring lark and all the things that championship clubs are losing is a dead loss IMO. No NRC no GF's, no Premier.....at least with Premier, even without benefits, the lower level game got exposure, but it won't with Sky, mark my words. Even if they go down into the 2nd 8, I honestly doubt that Batley and Dewsbury are going to get in there. The 2nd 8 will comprise 4 SL clubs and Fev, Eagles, Leigh and 'Fax on current form. this 3 x 8 league does us no favours at all.

#23 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Worse than that, the second 8 will likely comprise 6 current SL clubs (the bottom 4 of 12 plus the two relegated clubs with their parachute payments giving them a far bigger budget than the Championship clubs). And the other 2 are likely to be the two clubs who finish 1 and 2 in the championship this year as their reward for that will be to receive at least £300k more than the rest. No chance for the rest......

#24 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

Sky will continue to do what Sky does, begger the rest of us. This restructuring lark and all the things that championship clubs are losing is a dead loss IMO. No NRC no GF's, no Premier.....at least with Premier, even without benefits, the lower level game got exposure, but it won't with Sky, mark my words. Even if they go down into the 2nd 8, I honestly doubt that Batley and Dewsbury are going to get in there. The 2nd 8 will comprise 4 SL clubs and Fev, Eagles, Leigh and 'Fax on current form. this 3 x 8 league does us no favours at all.

everything you say is everything against batley its annoying.. If you dont think batley can make the 2nd 8 then don't bother coming its annoying seeing people call the team and the coach before the season has started.. Because on its day the bulldogs can and will beat anyone if need be and i can see us been in the 2nd 8 due to the board players staff and our loyal supporters and sponsors..

#25 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

everything you say is everything against batley its annoying.. If you dont think batley can make the 2nd 8 then don't bother coming its annoying seeing people call the team and the coach before the season has started.. Because on its day the bulldogs can and will beat anyone if need be and i can see us been in the 2nd 8 due to the board players staff and our loyal supporters and sponsors..

I don't think phildog was having a go KTF. The point is that, at the moment Fev and Fax will be favourites, this may not be nailed on though, particularly if one or two clubs go for broke and gamble their existence on making that 300k spot - and I'd bet a tenner to one of ZZ's old flipflops that that will happen. Plus their might be a push to give a leg up to the French. One thing you can guarantee though, is that neither KN or MS will gamble their clubs future on a pot of fools gold - neither would I want them to.

#26 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

I don't think phildog was having a go KTF. The point is that, at the moment Fev and Fax will be favourites, this may not be nailed on though, particularly if one or two clubs go for broke and gamble their existence on making that 300k spot - and I'd bet a tenner to one of ZZ's old flipflops that that will happen. Plus their might be a push to give a leg up to the French. One thing you can guarantee though, is that neither KN or MS will gamble their clubs future on a pot of fools gold - neither would I want them to.

At the end of the day a club like Batley can only stick to what it has been doing the last few years and that is to run the club within its means and to do the best it can within these boundries on and off the field.

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#27 phildog

phildog
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

I'm glad most people understand that I'm only laying out a general scenario, whilst also expressing an honest opinion. Nobody knows better than me how good things are at the moment after suffering through the 60's 70's and 80's, but I wouldn't dream of thinking too far and too high. My assumptions are based on current positions etc. We WILL make SL2, but to think that we will finish above 16th after the first round of games after playing the likes of Wigan, Leeds, Saints and Warrington, is hoping for a lot. Not that we can expect to lose heavily every week, and not that we won't put in the performances, but with the money situation as it is, and the rewards on offer at the end of the coming season, we have to be realistic. KN and the board, Jk and the players will always give everything and we will be behind them, be thankful for what we've got and build on that.

#28 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

What makes you think we will be playing the likes of Wigan, Leeds, Saints and Warrington?

We would only do that in 2016 if we finish in the top section of the middle 8 group in 2015 and to get into that group we must finish in the top 4 of SL2 that year.

I don't think anyone is seriously expecting the Bulldogs to be challenging for a place in SL1 with the current structures in place.

• DOGFATHER likes this

#29 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

What makes you think we will be playing the likes of Wigan, Leeds, Saints and Warrington?

We would only do that in 2016 if we finish in the top section of the middle 8 group in 2015 and to get into that group we must finish in the top 4 of SL2 that year.

I don't think anyone is seriously expecting the Bulldogs to be challenging for a place in SL1 with the current structures in place.

That is the crazy thing about all this. To get in to SL now, clubs like us or Featherstone, Leigh etc. will have to build a squad in the Championship capable of finishing the equivalent of ninth in SL as it stands now.

We would have to be better than the 6 clubs currently in SL, that will be getting up to 3 or 4 times the amount of RFL money that CH clubs get a season.

If that wasn't challenging enough, we will not get the big pay days from playing the likes of Leeds and Wigan at home to help finance it either, like 4 of those clubs will enjoy in the regular season. We would have to do it on avg. gates of 2000 at best.

I think Championship clubs had more chance of getting in to SL under the "closed shop" licensing system. To say it is a mountain to climb for the Championship clubs, would be a huge understatement.

#30 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

That is the crazy thing about all this. To get in to SL now, clubs like us or Featherstone, Leigh etc. will have to build a squad in the Championship capable of finishing the equivalent of ninth in SL as it stands now.

We would have to be better than the 6 clubs currently in SL, that will be getting up to 3 or 4 times the amount of RFL money that CH clubs get a season.

If that wasn't challenging enough, we will not get the big pay days from playing the likes of Leeds and Wigan at home to help finance it either, like 4 of those clubs will enjoy in the regular season. We would have to do it on avg. gates of 2000 at best.

I think Championship clubs had more chance of getting in to SL under the "closed shop" licensing system. To say it is a mountain to climb for the Championship clubs, would be a huge understatement.

A piece of skilful manoeuvring by the RL - look at what has been achieved, The sniffy clubs like Leeds and Wigan, won't have to play badly supported hangers on like Wakey, cas. The SL wannabes will get the chance to put their money where their mouths are - all of them on an unsustainable budget. The rest of us will have grit our teeth and get on with it as usual. Result.

#31 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

Cancelled premier ballcocks to nrl but loved the script "it will be an awesome competition with sam tomkins entering fray" took on sky sports again and enjoyed baloos giant's sticking it to whinging wane.

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users