HDMI assistance?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hi folks, hope one of you good people can point me in the right direction here, I'm usually reasonably capable at stuff like this but am struggling with the following.

I've a Sharp Aquos telly and a Goodmans Freesat receiver connected via the HDMI 1 input.. If I have them both in standby, then turn them on with their respective remotes selecting the HDMI 1 input, I get sound but no picture. This is also the case if I use the HDMI 2 input

If I then turn them both off at the mains then back on again almost straight away, hey presto, the picture appears.

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? I'm fairly certain it's summat to do with the telly settings as if I just turn the mains off to it and leave the freesat on the picture appears then also.

I've rooted round but can't find the telly manual at the mo although I have it somewhere. 

I know it's not a massive problem but I'm curious as to what the issue is here.

Any assistance gratefully received.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

OK I've only got two suggestions.

1) This sounds noddy but I've done it myself... unplug the hdmi cable and put it in firmly again at both ends. I had a problem where I thought I'd plugged it in ok but applying a little more pressure it clicked in to place and worked fine.

2) Have you tried another HDMI cable? (don't worry about them being shielded or whatever.... its digital... if the signal doesn't come through right nothing is displayed)

Edited by RidingPie, 31 January 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#3 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

I agree with RP, it's probably the cable itself. I'm on my third cable now after returning two to Apple - the latest one works fine but the other two produced either sound or vision but rarely both.

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,588 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Does this happen all the time or just sometimes? And which unit do you switch on first?

If I switch on my DVD recorder (connected by HDMI) before the TV, I sometimes get sound okay, but a grey or blank screen.

So I switch on the TV (selecting a channel on its own tuner), then the DVD recorder then select the HDMI input. This almost always works fine.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Hi folks, hope one of you good people can point me in the right direction here, I'm usually reasonably capable at stuff like this but am struggling with the following.

I've a Sharp Aquos telly and a Goodmans Freesat receiver connected via the HDMI 1 input.. If I have them both in standby, then turn them on with their respective remotes selecting the HDMI 1 input, I get sound but no picture. This is also the case if I use the HDMI 2 input

If I then turn them both off at the mains then back on again almost straight away, hey presto, the picture appears.

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? I'm fairly certain it's summat to do with the telly settings as if I just turn the mains off to it and leave the freesat on the picture appears then also.

I've rooted round but can't find the telly manual at the mo although I have it somewhere. 

I know it's not a massive problem but I'm curious as to what the issue is here.

Any assistance gratefully received.

I'm no help. I thought this thread was going to be about the Hull Daily Mail launching a 20p edition.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#6 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for (most of :rolleyes: ) your replies.

It's certainly not the lead or connection. If both the TV and Freesat are on and I then turn them off for a bit, I have to pull the mains leads out, then put them back in in order to get a picture back on. If they're both on and I pull the mains lead of the freesat or put the freesat on standby, I don't get a picture when I put the freesat back on.

The only way I can get the picture back is by turning the mains off from the tv, then reconnecting it.

I also lose the picture if I select a different AV input, then go back to the HDMI within a second or two.

It seems to me that the HDMI input can only display video once between mains interruptions, so if you turn the tv on at the mains, you can watch the Freesat but once the tv has gone into standby or the HDMI input is not used for a short period, the video part of the HDMI will not work again until another mains interruption has taken place.

I shall now try to contact Sharp for some technical advice if I can get hold of them.

If it turns out I've made an embarrassing mistake, expect a load of flannel from me to cover this up.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#7 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

It seems like your TV isn't auto switching when it receives a feed from your Freesat source, though it does seem strange that it is carrying sound. Have you tried going into your TV menu and confirming that auto switching is selected (if it is an option?)

#8 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Sharp technical have informed me it's a software error with that particular tv and I can download a repair on line.

Well, let's see how a technophobe like me gets on with it.

Thanks for all your replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users