Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kurt Haggerty Joins Leigh On Loan

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Appleman

Appleman
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

http://www.nwemail.c...moves-1.1113803

Ever alert for the call to Craven Park

#2 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

I think Haggerty will be badly missed in the 2nd row and also for his goal kicking. It's to be hoped that the players we get in exchange are a decent quality. I feel confident that those involved in this deal will be satisfied with the deal and it will add more competition for places. Time will tell.

Posted Image

#3 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

http://en.wikipedia....i/Craig_Briscoe

Click on the above for Wikipedia on Craig Briscoe.

Posted Image

#4 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Not a bad exchange really . Briscoe is a top player .. Will miss Haggerty tho . Nice lad . Good player . And wants to do well in his rugby career and hope he does . And us too like !

Ps. Michael . We don't need to worry about goal kicking . Ian mort and Scott turner are spot on :)

#5 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Not really sure I like the sound of this tbh,we do not have a lot of experience in our pack as it is?

I hope part of the agreement was that he can't play against us?

#6 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

It's getting like American Football where lower ranked teams trade their draft pick in exchange for several others.

#7 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

I think the terms of loan players is they don't play against their own team . Kurt is still a Barrow player so u don't want your own team
Injuring ur own player . Same goes for Briscoe and bullock .. ( I think ). !

#8 Paul Ballantyne

Paul Ballantyne
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

Obviously thought he was better than the other lads... So much for team spirit!!
Not being bitter but the grass isn't always greener on the other side!!

#9 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

Right if we don't get some top drawer players in return and get squad fringe players (which is what I'm expecting) then this deal is quite frankly a joke.

Has anyone seen Leighs squad? There isn't a chance they could of offered the wages to get him to leave Barrow and keep him under the salary cap. They've got players like Oliver Wilkes, Jake Emmitt, Tom Spencer, Alex Brown, Sam Barlow, Bob Beswick, Sean Pencywick (can't spell his name) then not to add to the names they already had such as Martin Ridyard, Stuart Littler, Matt Gardner ect.

For a club who were on the brink of collapsing Leigh seem to be doing far to well. Have they received investment which I have missed or something?

Edit: Just seem what we have received and its not good enough IMO. Briscoe is 21 and Bullock looks about the same age.

The reasons for this deal are beyond me, what benefit do we get out of this?

Edited by RSN, 31 January 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#10 Sempur

Sempur
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

It's unfortunate but we have what we have.

Lets give 'em our full support...................as always!

Whoso sheds his blood with me on this field shall be my brother - Henry V

#11 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Right if we don't get some top drawer players in return and get squad fringe players (which is what I'm expecting) then this deal is quite frankly a joke.

Has anyone seen Leighs squad? There isn't a chance they could of offered the wages to get him to leave Barrow and keep him under the salary cap. They've got players like Oliver Wilkes, Jake Emmitt, Tom Spencer, Alex Brown, Sam Barlow, Bob Beswick, Sean Pencywick (can't spell his name) then not to add to the names they already had such as Martin Ridyard, Stuart Littler, Matt Gardner ect.

For a club who were on the brink of collapsing Leigh seem to be doing far to well. Have they received investment which I have missed or something?

Why are we getting rid of IMO our second best player? If we don't get let's say Craig Briscoe, Oliver Wilkes, Matt Gardner and one of their props we haven't done very well IMO.

Good luck Kurt, you`ve been excellent but i fancy our young hungry pack against that mixture of old not so great ex superleaguers playing out their time and who would want Matt Gardner instead of the wingers we already have.

Edited by bar red, 31 January 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#12 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

###### deal if you ask me, all leigh are doing is sending us their fringe players to keep us happy for a season till kurts contracts up, where does that leave us next year when they take the 3/4 players back aswell as kurt haggarty. If he doesnt want to play for barrow he shouldnt have signed.

Tom Heighton

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Good luck Kurt, you`ve been excellent but i fancy our young hungry pack against that mixture of old not so great ex superleaguers playing out their time and who would want Matt Gardner instead of the wingers we already have.

I dont. Tom Spencer old? Jake Emitt old? Sam Barlow was the best prop in the league last year and he's 25. They've got a bit of youth on the fringes also.

If you fancy ourselves against that pack, you are quite frankly delusional.

#14 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Absolute disgrace, why let your best player go out on loan? What's next, Harrison to haven?

#15 blue forever

blue forever
  • Coach
  • 997 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

Effectively we've become partnered with Leigh, with already having Rowe on loan from them and now possibly 4 more to come. And to think some on here mocked Swinton when they did the same thing last year with Warrington. Embarrasing

I dont want to join the army...

Posted Image

#16 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Kurt has been great for us and I'm disappointed, but looking at the swap deal it does give us a bit more strength in depth.
It's going to be a long season and the extra players may help carry us through.
I suppose with Kurt coaching at Pilkington that would have been a factor in his decision.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#17 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Kurt has been great for us and I'm disappointed, but looking at the swap deal it does give us a bit more strength in depth.
It's going to be a long season and the extra players may help carry us through.
I suppose with Kurt coaching at Pilkington that would have been a factor in his decision.

It should have never been Kurts decision. The bod should have said you can't have our best player. They should have offered the likes of brad marwood who will be fringe at best for us just like the lads we have got would be fringe at best for Leigh. We've been shafted.

Edited by Gus Tyson, 31 January 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#18 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

At the end of the day . He wanted to go . Barrow raiders couldn't refuse him ? What good is having a player playing for us who would prefer to be somewhere else ?

#19 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

"It should have never been Kurts decision. The bod should have said you can't have our best player."

And Kurt would have been happy to be forced to play for us? You would really want that !?? Sigh *

#20 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

"It should have never been Kurts decision. The bod should have said you can't have our best player."

And Kurt would have been happy to be forced to play for us? You would really want that !?? Sigh *

If he didn't want to play for barrow then he shouldn't have signed his new contract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users