Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kurt Haggerty Joins Leigh On Loan

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

He's still a barrow player

#22 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Paul Rowley should have been told he wasn't available, end of. What the hell are the club thinking letting one of the best players go out on loan to a rival club and getting cast offs in exchange? Sorry but it's a joke, certain people might not like that, but most posters on here seem to agree.

#23 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

I'm not happy about it but it's happened now . Let's see what happens . At the end of the day we can get him back . If we need him.

#24 blue forever

blue forever
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

I'm not happy about it but it's happened now . Let's see what happens . At the end of the day we can get him back . If we need him.

Can we? is there a recall clause in the loan contract? I very much doubt it. We need him now and should never have even contemplated letting him go. 5 teams go down this year and weve just let one of our best players leave. Not good

I dont want to join the army...

Posted Image

#25 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

I'd like an explanation at the BOD why we have let Haggerty go. If we didn't have him last season we probably wouldn't of stayed up.

#26 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Cant believe people are suggesting barrow didnt have a choice and it was all up to kurt, he signed a contract to be a barrow player he should have been told hes not going anywhere. Its a bit naff for the bloke thats sponsered him aswell!

Tom Heighton

#27 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

shows the state of the game . out on loan. ? how long a contract was he on at barrow and if only one season then he has really signed for leigh. if this is the case we should have got a fee for him but as others have said if he hasn't got barrow 100% in his blood move him on. hope the players we get in exchange get the welcome feeling from us and prove leigh made a mistake swapping them for kurt.

#28 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

The Raiders have sold season tickets on the back of their squad too,I have to say I am disappointed that he has left.
Strange decision for me like?

#29 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

I dont. Tom Spencer old? Jake Emitt old? Sam Barlow was the best prop in the league last year and he's 25. They've got a bit of youth on the fringes also.

If you fancy ourselves against that pack, you are quite frankly delusional.

We will see on 23rd Feb and i`ve been called much worse.

#30 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

We've been ripped off come next season by the looks of it

#31 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

I would also like to know if Anthony Murray was asked about this or was it a directors decision?

#32 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Cant believe people are suggesting barrow didnt have a choice and it was all up to kurt, he signed a contract to be a barrow player he should have been told hes not going anywhere. Its a bit naff for the bloke thats sponsered him aswell!

I agree with the sonsoring bit but if he was given time to think about it and decided to leave, good luck to him. I'd rather have someone who wants to play for us.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#33 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

As a Leigh fan, I can sympathise with you guys. We had built a squad of 29 players, to cover for the kind of injuries we (and all other Championship teams) suffered last season. So, to let up to four of the presumably younger players go, seems puzzling to me. Accepted that Haggerty is class in this league, and will improve our pack, I feel personally that I would have liked to see our youngsters retained, to get their chance when injuries arrive.

As for how we can afford it, we have a new, large BOD at the club. They have all pledged considerable investment, over the next three years, and the club is at last attracting some new sponsorship deals. The two that stand out are O2, (through their Leigh franchise) and Evans Halshaw - actually Vauxhall Europe.

So, I can well understand the bad taste this leaves with you, and I hope that our young players ALL prove a hit at Barrow and help you to keep well away from those 'relegation' spots. Meanwhile, I hope Haggerty, who has been a Leigh player twice before, helps to keep us away from them too!

Good luck for 2014.

#34 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Anthony Murray was on radio Cumbria earlier and knew all About it .
It was haggertys decision to go to Leigh .. It was the BOD and Murray who told him about the offer as it was their duty to .. (And surely IMO out of respect for the player ?)
Says in tomorrow's evening mail the bod and Murray told Kurt they didn't want him to leave but his mind was made up..

So what could they do ? Not tell him, .. he finds out they didn't tell him ( and he would have found out ) he's then not happy .. What then ? Resents barrow for making him
Stay .. ? Doesn't play up to par ?
Then what about the other players ? How many would wonder .. " has anyone come in for me ? Have they not told me ? ..
Whether it's right or wrong .. Haggerty has done the right thing for him and his future and now the bod and the team must carry on and just get on with it . Let's get behind the new players coming in ! Let's not slag them off before we see them play . Briscoe played almost every game last season for Leigh .
This is just my opinion . Looking forward to Sunday . Let's see what happens . Weather permitting . !

#35 binosh

binosh
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

Briscoe is solid been in Leigh's first team 3 years, doesn't miss tackles, decent stocky build and can do 80 minutes, not the greatest going forward but just keeps coming and goes un-noticed.

Bullock is a puzzler for me as he is IMO the next Chris Hill and I thought he looked a class apart recently against Rochdale and Crusaders, he bossed the park, I was hoping he would get some game time this year, 6 3", good build, quick and ALWAYS makes good yards and lands on his front.

Both excellent additions for Barrow.

#36 Penno

Penno
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

Not happy that Haggerty has gone and seems a very strange decision, Kurt didn't jump at the chance to leave but "took is time to decide". I would therefore have thought simply telling Kurt, "we have been approached by Leigh who want you in there team this year, but we have declined their offer as you are a big part of the Barrow team in what is going to be a massively important year WE NEED YOU HERE".  He would have known that an offer had been made but would not have been left with any decision to make,had he felt very strongly that he wanted to leave he could have said but from the statement it doesn't appear that he had any urge to leave until asked if he wanted to leave.

Anyway we are where we are and lets hope it works out well for Barrow, if this does backfire I think that some of the moaning that we have seen in the past on this forum will seem like a storm in a tea cup, but I am sure that those wo made this decision will be fully aware of the backlash that there will be if we end up getting shafted on this deal.

Regards Penno

#37 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

As a Leigh fan, I can sympathise with you guys. We had built a squad of 29 players, to cover for the kind of injuries we (and all other Championship teams) suffered last season. So, to let up to four of the presumably younger players go, seems puzzling to me. Accepted that Haggerty is class in this league, and will improve our pack, I feel personally that I would have liked to see our youngsters retained, to get their chance when injuries arrive.

As for how we can afford it, we have a new, large BOD at the club. They have all pledged considerable investment, over the next three years, and the club is at last attracting some new sponsorship deals. The two that stand out are O2, (through their Leigh franchise) and Evans Halshaw - actually Vauxhall Europe.

So, I can well understand the bad taste this leaves with you, and I hope that our young players ALL prove a hit at Barrow and help you to keep well away from those 'relegation' spots. Meanwhile, I hope Haggerty, who has been a Leigh player twice before, helps to keep us away from them too!

Good luck for 2014.

Briscoe is solid been in Leigh's first team 3 years, doesn't miss tackles, decent stocky build and can do 80 minutes, not the greatest going forward but just keeps coming and goes un-noticed.

Bullock is a puzzler for me as he is IMO the next Chris Hill and I thought he looked a class apart recently against Rochdale and Crusaders, he bossed the park, I was hoping he would get some game time this year, 6 3", good build, quick and ALWAYS makes good yards and lands on his front.

Both excellent additions for Barrow.

Correct. 2 very good players who Barrow fans will soon notice.

#38 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

As a Leigh fan, I can sympathise with you guys. We had built a squad of 29 players, to cover for the kind of injuries we (and all other Championship teams) suffered last season. So, to let up to four of the presumably younger players go, seems puzzling to me. Accepted that Haggerty is class in this league, and will improve our pack, I feel personally that I would have liked to see our youngsters retained, to get their chance when injuries arrive.As for how we can afford it, we have a new, large BOD at the club. They have all pledged considerable investment, over the next three years, and the club is at last attracting some new sponsorship deals. The two that stand out are O2, (through their Leigh franchise) and Evans Halshaw - actually Vauxhall Europe.So, I can well understand the bad taste this leaves with you, and I hope that our young players ALL prove a hit at Barrow and help you to keep well away from those 'relegation' spots. Meanwhile, I hope Haggerty, who has been a Leigh player twice before, helps to keep us away from them too!Good luck for 2014.

Maybe you guys had to let upto four youngsters go to squeeze him in under your salary cap?

#39 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

I agree with Penno but I guess we will just have to crack on now?

Letting one of your best players go almost on the eve of the season is not a good move,but I will place my trust in the clubs decision and I hope that it comes up trumps!

#40 atp

atp
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

This is the difference between a club who's Directors are in a position to put finance forward and a club who's Directors are not in that position.
Leigh are building for the future SL2 and above, Barrow are not in that position, but when a club in a better position than yourself at this stage of the season offers up to FOUR players for one of yours tells you what an investment you have. A business doe's not sell its best assets without suffering in some way?
What happens now if clubs come in for the other senior players we have? The BoD have set a precedence now
On the financial side we offload one travelling player for the chance of gaining four travelling players? We are constantly being told the club has no money this doe's not make sense.
No doubt the BoD can justify doing this as on paper it looks ridiculous .
When a player signs for a club as we are told Haggerty had signed for Barrow binds him to that club, as we are told he has gone to Leigh on loan tells us he is a Registered Barrow player? After one pre season friendly he leaves for Leigh? I think the BoD have a considerable number of questions to answer, or it is a big mistake by the BoD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users