Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kurt Haggerty Joins Leigh On Loan

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 ian c

ian c
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

I'm not happy about it but it's happened now . Let's see what happens . At the end of the day we can get him back . If we need him.

According to one of our directors on our RFL site he's a season long loan and cannot be recalled. I can understand how you all feel I would feel the same if it was the other way round, good luck for the season hope the players you have got in exchange play well for you.

#42 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

Why have we let one of our best players of last season go ? not just to any team but to a team in our league that we'll find hard to beat at the best of times and now our job has been made that bit hard in my opinion ! I know one player doesn't make a team but he was a big player for us last season , and with him signing another contract surely we had more say on where he would be playing next season .I believe we should have stood our ground and said if you want to go and leigh want you that much then no loan deal they will have pay for you ! these players that are coming on loan have more chance of game time with us than leigh so when they return they'll be that little bit more experienced thanks to us so leigh will benefit  in the end ,  I'm not sure how long kurt''s contract is ( was ) for but I'm guessing and only guessing that end off loan deal he'll be free to sign for them and we'll not get a penny  .Good luck to kurt  at leigh and hope it works out for him .

#43 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Good luck to Kurt at Leigh. I hope the Leigh lads are up for it with us as they do look handy! Also if there is one, maybe two others coming as well hope they are quality too?

I can understand Kurt going to Leigh what with him wanting SL and coaching at Pilks + much less travelling etc BUT he shouldn't have signed if that what he wanted.

Lets give these new guys a chance eh?

Also I would've been much unhappier if it was Bull that had moved clubs as he IS the one player we can ill afford to lose IMHO !

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#44 concerned fan

concerned fan
  • Facebook
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

The BOD have made some huge mistakes over the past several months but this one takes the biscuit. To say that Barrow Raiders had no choice but to let him go is a complete and utter load of rubbish. He was under contract to Barrow so the decision was never his to make. He should never have been given the choice. The BOD should have said NO and that would be the end of it. Kurt would still have given 100% in all the games he played for us as he wanted to be seen by other clubs as a player who was quite capable of playing at a higher level. He would not of let himself down. What I read in the Evening Mail I take with a pinch of salt as most of it is just lie after lie after lie. The BOD will NEVER tell the supporters the truth. You should all know that by now. Lets face it, what does Andy Gaffney know about rugby. The whole thing is just a huge joke. God help Raiders next season. There are far too many young unproven players in the squad.

#45 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Why single Andy gaffney out ? He's not the one who makes the decisions ? It's Murray who chooses the players he was involved in the decision as was Haggerty .

#46 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Andy does his best for the club of that I'm sure so blaming him when we don't know what's really gone on is a bit harsh .

• RSN likes this

#47 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Andy does his best for the club of that I'm sure so blaming him when we don't know what's really gone on is a bit harsh .

Exactly Mjc.

#48 Paul Ballantyne

Paul Ballantyne
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

The BOD have made some huge mistakes over the past several months.

Have I missed something here? I'm not jumping at anything, I would just like to know what you mean by this. Cheers

Edited by Paul Ballantyne, 01 February 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#49 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

The BOD have made some huge mistakes over the past several months but this one takes the biscuit. To say that Barrow Raiders had no choice but to let him go is a complete and utter load of rubbish. He was under contract to Barrow so the decision was never his to make. He should never have been given the choice. The BOD should have said NO and that would be the end of it. Kurt would still have given 100% in all the games he played for us as he wanted to be seen by other clubs as a player who was quite capable of playing at a higher level. He would not of let himself down. What I read in the Evening Mail I take with a pinch of salt as most of it is just lie after lie after lie. The BOD will NEVER tell the supporters the truth. You should all know that by now. Lets face it, what does Andy Gaffney know about rugby. The whole thing is just a huge joke. God help Raiders next season. There are far too many young unproven players in the squad.

Are you having a laugh?

Tom Heighton

#50 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Maybe you guys had to let upto four youngsters go to squeeze him in under your salary cap?

Fair point, and the answer is that I don't know where we stand in relation to the cap. However, we have signed some high-profile players for this season, some of whom are working for our Community Foundation. The youngsters you will be selecting from, won't be on a big wage at Leigh - probably consisting mainly of appearance money. I suspect Kurt won't have come that cheap though!

#51 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

by the sounds of it I reckon kirt may have been tapped up without the club knowing of leighs interest in the player. this making leigh having to go by the rules of the rfl and barrow having them by the balls. murray  cant afford unrest in the camp at this close stage to starting the season. the club might have got a good deal for us but would like a bod statement with more details of how it went on as something doesn't sound right?

we kept away from duel reg last season to build a team of locals but bringing in four leigh players seems like a different approach this season.

#52 binosh

binosh
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Sorry Raiders fans but have just found out you guys are short on bodies and have subsequently re-visited a deal from the end of last year, apparently we (Leigh) wanted Kurt back and missed him earlier as he re-signed with you guys but now you need a more bodies on the ground and a deal has been struck.

Kurt wont play again for the Raiders again but Leigh can recall 1 player back of the 3 with relevant notice, Murray will wait until the season starts before he picks the 3rd player from Leigh, names mentioned were another second rower who has played Leigh 1st team for the last 3-4 years and or an Australian trialist Halfback.

#53 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Very disappointed to have lost one of our best best players from last season, but it appears Kurt was offered a contract he couldn't refuse with  a club who have Super League ambitions. Unfortunately Barrow can't compete with Leigh from a finiacial point of view .However I think Barrow could benefit from this deal, the 2 forwards that Barrow have got seem to ft the bill of what we require, if we can add an experienced half back and maybe a centre, then I believe we will have a squad that should be able to stay clear from the bottom 5.

Good luck Kurt & of course Anthony Murray.

Up the Raiders, and as Keith Nutter always says the future is bright (as long as we get the bloody floodlights up) the future is blue and white.

Edited by richie keay, 01 February 2014 - 10:25 PM.

Posted Image

#54 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

righto one I do like the sound of is that Joe Bullock actually is a centre so maybe we can utilise him there as I still think we are weak there

Lee Morton

#55 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

righto one I do like the sound of is that Joe Bullock actually is a centre so maybe we can utilise him there as I still think we are weak there

Joe came to Leigh as a winger (from Wigan)but moved to the 2nd row. He is still 'raw' but with (IMO) bags of potential. Hopefully you will benefit from this deal, in that any players Leigh send to you (with Murray's approval of course) will be busting a gut to show Leigh what they are missing. If they under-perform, they are not going to do themselves any favours.

#56 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

One thing we should be unhappy about with this deal is that Leigh CAN recall players but we CANNOT recall Kurt ... sorry but how can this be right and fair ? What works one way should work the same in return !!!!!

Edited by morty, 03 February 2014 - 08:44 AM.

Lee Morton

#57 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

It's because Leigh say jump and Barrow say how high. If they were that desperate to get Haggerty Barrow should have tried getting Wilkes or Emmit in exchange, someone with a bit of go forward.

#58 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

It's because Leigh say jump and Barrow say how high. If they were that desperate to get Haggerty Barrow should have tried getting Wilkes or Emmit in exchange, someone with a bit of go forward.

must admit it does look a little like that to me as well mate !

Like I said before the two we have on loan did look a good combo but to be able to recall at any time is a poor show and appears to be not good business !

Lee Morton

#59 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hi Barrow fans

I am a Big Leigh fan and would like to say you have got the better deal imo

Briscoe is a 100%'er who will tackle all day and has plenty experience of first team over the last 3 years and is still only 21, he will go well for you

Bullock will be first team shoe in for us next season, and for me this as well - he is much better than Haggerty again imo, having seen Haggerty come through our academy to first team I believe he is too small to go further and will not get into the 17

Young Rowe is quality but needs game time, he was always slightly built but has bulked up, and again I would have preferred him at Leigh before Haggerty

So in summary I cant believe we have agreed to this and hope Bullock is recalled soon

Financially we have been through the mill recently, but not at the level you guys have. We almost went pop last year when our new owner paid the players, and lead a takeover whilst fighting off a winding up order from HMRC that came out of the cupboard ( ie it got paid)

The old board were like a scene from 'Waiting for God', the new one is vibrant, young, have a great skill set and have put money in over 3 years, and not as 'loans'. The sponsorship is the best/highest we have ever had and season tickets are massively up also.

We are located in the middle of some great SL clubs and are not far away from most players that become available, our facilities at LSV are also better than most SL clubs - this will always be the challenge facing the Cumbrian clubs

I hope you make the 9 this year, I genuinely like Barrows fans and hope the transaction will help you and Anthony. I also hope I am wrong about Kurt

Edited by sweaty craiq, 03 February 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#60 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

Who is now carrying out barrows Finances since keith Holt ?

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users