Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What team should I follow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Ok I'm getting premier sports for the NRLbut in order to fully appriciate the competition, what team should I pick.

As a St Helens fan the obvious chioce is St George but I've always had a soft spot for Penrith ( don't know why)

Any way I'm open to suggestions for my first full season of being able to watch every game

#2 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

Personally I'd go for Manly. They play a good brand of footy.

#3 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

The Raiders. Little FTA coverage, small crowds, freezing cold stadium, always overlooked.

The only team not on the coast.

We need all the support we can get.

Edited by Copa, 02 February 2014 - 02:50 AM.

#4 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Even if you pick a team its not the same as supporting your team over here obviously. What i end up doing is once I've recorded the 8 games each week. Is start to pick out the ones I want to watch as live for lots of different reasons. So if there was a top quality game on like Roosters v Souths or Manly v Melborne. As a Saints fan back here there's then the graham connection at Canterbury plus the other English players out there. Also last season you got the chance to see how Walsh and Masoe were getting on at Penrith.

#5 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

If you are an underdog supporter....no team will provide you with the Highs and lows of the intensity of the New Zealand Warriors.

The most unpredictable team in rugby league.

The Sleeping giants of the NRL.

The most exciting brand of football to watch and the closest thing to an ESL team in the NRL ( by virtue of free flowing footy ).

Sam Tomkins is roundly rated as being not good enough for the NRL by most Australian based fans.

If you back another club I hope you still get something out of seeing Tomkins further vindicate the quality of the ESL this season.

#6 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hmmm the warriors, it wonder if I could allow myself to support the club that Tomkins plays for.

Thanks for the recommendations

#7 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,707 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Best thing to do is probably watch a couple of rounds ... or more ... and then go with your heart.

I bet one or two teams will attract you.

As said above there are British connections at some clubs that might draw you to them.

For me it was the team that had a style of play, quality of player and welcoming fan groups/forum that attracted me and settled it.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#8 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

For me its the British connection that draws me, and will usually support the team containing said players. This is starting to mean a fair few teams now!

Souths are my team, probably down to the Burgess boys, but then you start to fully appreciate the talents of Inglis, Isaac Luke, Adam Reynolds etc

As bobbruce said, I start the season watching most games and you then gravitate towards that years entertaining/top teams. It does tend to switch from season to season, far more so than Super League in terms of form teams etc.

I'm really looking forward to seeing NZ Warriors this year with Sam Tomkins in the side, they're always entertaining anyway but with the added interest of Tomkins they have been installed as my 2nd team for this year. Plus we get to listen to Vossy do all their home games so its win win really!

#9 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

Stick with the mighty St George Illawarra Dragons man
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users