Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Burgess (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#1 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:59 AM

http://au.sports.yah...r-rugby-report/

Perhaps money isn't everything?

Be a huge blow for our game to lose our stand out player from the RLWC

#2 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

I'll believe it went I see it but I don't think it'll happen. His entire family is settled down under and I think they'll all stay there.

#3 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Hopefully not true.
Union would have to offer a huge transfer few to convince them to release him. You don't let someone like that go for free!
Posted Image

#4 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

He is under contract for another three years, Souths paid a transfer fee to get Burgess at the club which is very rare in the NRL, Souths will want a Kings ransom to let him go especially to the other code.

#5 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

say it aint so

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,611 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

That would be like getting Keith Moon in your band on guitar.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#7 Jack Russell

Jack Russell
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

No chance. Its obvious to all that Burgess is living the dream down there. More chance of steven hawking signing up for rugby onion. Although hawking would prob still perform better than most in their national team. 

#8 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

It would be like buying a Rembrandt and hanging it in the loo.

Just how cold would he be at centre?

#9 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Earning a lot more money, playing on an international stage in front of packed stadiums, in a World Cup, higher national profile, why would he want this? Possibly the same reasons SBW did.

Contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

#10 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

Earning a lot more money, playing on an international stage in front of packed stadiums, in a World Cup, higher national profile, why would he want this? Possibly the same reasons SBW did.

SBW Williams took a pay cut twice and has always had a very high national profile.

#11 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

They are if it does not work out and you want to return to Rugby League.

As I recall $BW's agent paid the Canterbury Dogs a sum of money after his moonlight flit to Union.

Different circumstances but  a contract made Jamie Lyon play for St Helens for two years until his Australian contract had expired.

Edited by boxhead, 01 February 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#12 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

If this is true, it fundamentally shows why Rugby League needs to get its 'ass' in gear and organise a full and comprehensive international calendar under a proper International Federation... It's Feb 14 and we have no idea dates or locations where THIS YEAR'S Four Nations will be playing. It's shocking!!! After an exceptional World Cup, the powers at be must surely understand how important an International Calendar to the game is?!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#13 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

If this is true, it fundamentally shows why Rugby League needs to get its 'ass' in gear and organise a full and comprehensive international calendar under a proper International Federation... It's Feb 14 and we have no idea dates or locations where THIS YEAR'S Four Nations will be playing. It's shocking!!! After an exceptional World Cup, the powers at be must surely understand how important an International Calendar to the game is?!

The games will be in Australia at the end of the domestic seasons.

My bet is Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne for the big games and some regional areas like Newcastle and Townsville for the lead up games.

;)

Edited by boxhead, 01 February 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#14 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,544 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

A reminder, this forum is a rugby league forum.  Threads that reference union like this stay as they're genuinely important to rugby league but we lose patience very quickly when people use it as an excuse to whine and air their shoulder chips on union.  The thread stays but unnecessary digs at union will be deleted.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#15 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Is this story any different from Marwan Koucash saying he wants to buy SBW? Sam will be England captain by the end of the year, his whole family has basically emigrated to Australia and he his probably one of the biggest earners in any code at the moment anyway. 

#16 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

The games will be in Australia at the end of the domestic seasons.

My bet is Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne for the big games and some regional areas like Newcastle and Townsville for the lead up games.

;)

I know it's in the southern hemisphere. But the point is when and where exactly?! Rough guestimates are sadly not good enough... It's frankly ridiclous that I know when Denmark are playing this year whilst not knowing when England are...

(Not aimed at you by the way! :))

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#17 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Is this story any different from Marwan Koucash saying he wants to buy SBW? Sam will be England captain by the end of the year, his whole family has basically emigrated to Australia and he his probably one of the biggest earners in any code at the moment anyway. 

He can't be on too much as Souths have to stay under the Salary Cap you know..............

#18 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

I know it's in the southern hemisphere. But the point is when and where exactly?! Rough guestimates are sadly not good enough... It's frankly ridiclous that I know when Denmark are playing this year whilst not knowing when England are...

(Not aimed at you by the way! :))

I know, I was pulling your leg Mate, It is a shambles and dates and venues should have been known long before now.

#19 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Stories like this always appear near the start of the season, it's just another bit of marketing from the Rah Rahs, if only RL execs we're say enough to do the same.

#20 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

That would be like getting Keith Moon in your band on guitar.

Your music mad you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users