Sam Burgess (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#181 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,925 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

But if you earn more than enough money making violins in the first place? ??

he is: http://www.burgessviolins.com/

#182 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Someone should just ask Stuart Lancaster and Bath "have you had any contact with Sam Burgess regarding a move to RU?" forget all this "approach" business.. we know no "approach" has been made to Souths directly. Doesn't mean they haven't spoken to Sam.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#183 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Quite frankly a moronic decision by Souths, the RFU and Sam Burgess himself if it's true.

Firstly by Souths. Why would you let your best forward leave the club. Especially with the connections he has and he is going to be playing his best RL for the next 3 or 4 years at a minimum. Not to mention he is the big brother of George Burgess their best prop last year and also Tom who will hopefully develop to the standard of George fairly shortly.

Now the RFU. Do they have any knowledge of their own sport. Sam's build and playing style is not suited to RU whatsoever. His body enables him to run hard at opponents to physically dominate them. He is able to have high impact collision with opponents consistently without tiring. His body enable him to make 40 hard hitting tackles a game and make roughly 150 metres a game by running the ball consistently at the opponent hard and tackling hard consistently. Sam is the best RL forward in the world at this, the guy was pretty much built for being an RL forward. His attributes will be pretty much nullified in RU, or at least made to be ineffective. An RU centre gets pretty much 10 chance to the run the ball a game at a generous maximum and make ten tackles a game. When he runs the ball in he will no doubt dominate the collision and knock a few players over. He may even make a break due to players not being able to physically compete with him fair enough but he is not going to be a brilliant RU centre as his body is not designed for it. Not to mention the lack of pace he has. He isn't slow at all, in fact when he gets to top speed he is quite quick, especially for a forward. It's the acceleration which will be the main factor. He will too easily be beaten. If he's one on one with a NZ centre he is in trouble if they are extremely quick. Being a centre in RU you can get exposed at times and have to defend a lot of field, if the centres try to run over Sam they won't get anywhere. For example Sam would probably dominate Tuilagi or whatever but like Slater did at the millennium stadium if a quick elusive player runs at him he is in trouble. I could understand RU signing let's say Sam Tomkins or Kallum Watkins to be a centre because their attributes are complimented by the decision. Sam's just aren't.

If Sam does go he has made a stupid mistake. He will be exposed in Union. It's the same shape ball but when will people realise the attributes to play both games especially forwards, couldn't be any further apart.

#184 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Maybe this is all a RFL counter-intelligence operation? 

Spread a rumour about Sam B going to union, gets rugby league into all the papers and on the websites/Twitter etc on the eve of the new Superleague season. Turns out it was a non story but more people know that RL is back?

Guerrilla marketing or whatever you call it (or wishful thinking on my part).

#185 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

If true its a total disaster for the sport and if you think otherwise you must be insane!!! Farrell did this right at the start of a season when he left and the papers leaked it to cause maximum damage to our game, its understandable what Farrell , ford etc are doing but it makes me feel really sick!
This comes from years of crawling along on our knees whilst other sports have been given a foot up and have run off into the distance!
Devastating if true

I was in the hospital waiting room this morning when I saw the headline on the back page of The Mail( as a done deal ) someone opposite me was reading.

Double sick. A real punch in the guts. I can't remember anything the consultant said.

Yes it's The Mail, but it's been running for days and no one has put it to bed

Well I can't remember where I was when JFK was shot, but I'll certainly remember where I was when I heard that Sam had gone to the dark side.

What a loss he would be to our game. Not just as a player but as a personality.

I hope I'm going to wake up from the anaesthetic in minute and find it's all a bad dream.

If as has been suggested elsewhere, Farrell was involved in an approach. That would be low.

Supporting this game can feel Like sheer masochism on days like this.

#186 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Hmmm, RL just signed a new TV deal, better than the RU one, RL just about to start a new season, which will set the places for a groundbreaking concept next year, all very good news stories about RL.

So the RFU want to undermine this with an 'approach' to one of the most famous English RL players. This happens almost every year just to distract the media away from any positive RL spin.

If he does go I hope Souths hold out for a ridiculous transfer fee.

#187 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

There may be but in a finite career you're a fool if you don't take as much as you can.

We are hardly talking minimum wage here. I wouldn't mind betting he would be set up for a reasonable life already, regardless of any new contract. Of course what he does is up to him. I'm just pointing out that money is not everything.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#188 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

If there's any positive in this (if true): if England Rugby *nion sign Sam Burgess, they'll have one player of that calibre. We all know that somewhere, right now, there are probably half a dozen new 'Sam Burgesses' coming through the UK RL player development pathway. *nion can't develop talent at this level. Its forwards lack basic footballing skills, its half-backs lack the skills to launch attacking, running football and its backs can't tackle.

*nion will always crave our talent because it thinks League players make it a better sport (see Benji Marshall), but - as a previous poster mentioned - *nion's shape and structure drags them down to its level.

They may have the clout, the coverage and the credibility we've always craved - but we have the game they so desperately want to be.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#189 bluewhite10

bluewhite10
  • Workington
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

On twitter this morning the 'mole' said he will go he never gets much wrong. That performance he gave against NZ I will never forget in my lifetime wish him luck even though I'm absolutely gutted. If he comes off a hit in union will he ever come back?
bluewhitearmy

#190 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Like everyone else, I'm gutted by this.

For someone who grew up in Dewsbury in a rugby league family, the opportunity to play in the NRL for one of the biggest and most glamorous clubs, alongside all 3 of his brothers is an absolute boyhood dream come true, and something that pretty much every other person in the world could only ever dream of. Any offer worth giving all that up for, must be out of this world, although like many people I am really struggling to see how the Union offer can possibly be good enough to give up what he has.

#191 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

The outcome of all this may surprise some people. I see it playing out a bit like the Kieron Cunningham to Wales RU in the early 2000s. Souths are not your everyday RL mugs to deal with. Firstly, they don't need the cash. Secondly, there is the family ties (brothers etc.). Thirdly, there is Russell Crowe and all the effort he made to get the boys over there and, finally, there are some big names in Australia who may have a word in his ear before he signs on the dotted line (e.g. Ch9, third-party sponsors etc.)

This will not be as straight forward as the Union media in the UK think. The NRL is a giant sport in Australia and can flex its muscles if it wants to keep someone.

#192 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Watch the Sam Burgess Documentary 'Sparkly-Eyed man'. Watch the bit where Russell Crowe takes Burgess for a 'walk around the oval' at Redfern before his debut. The gesture Crowe makes to Burgess is deeply moving.  To throw that back at him - regardless of the money on the table - would be shameful and very disappointing. Hopefully Sam knows in his heart what the right thing to do is.

I know it's a short career, but I'd hope that - even today - some things are worth more.

He's given Souths 4 years. How is that throwing it back at Russel Crowe? Souths will simply go and buy someone else.
It's not about what the heart says, it's about what the head says. The head would tell me the best thing is to take the better financial offer. He's a torn hamstring away from obscurity remember.

#193 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Like everyone else, I'm gutted by this.

For someone who grew up in Dewsbury in a rugby league family, the opportunity to play in the NRL for one of the biggest and most glamorous clubs, alongside all 3 of his brothers is an absolute boyhood dream come true, and something that pretty much every other person in the world could only ever dream of. Any offer worth giving all that up for, must be out of this world, although like many people I am really struggling to see how the Union offer can possibly be good enough to give up what he has.

He's lived the dream. Does he have to do it forever?

#194 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

Am I the only one who finds the silence from all parties on this issue deafening?

#195 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,049 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

It's beginning to look like your paranoia was not misplaced. Those evil RFU types have duped us again (well not you of course...).

It's not the signing (although that's bad news for RL) it's the timing.  Same time period as when they signed Faz, immediately before SL kicks off for 2014.  If the deal was done during the RLWC in November, why wasn't it announced in November?  That's the "evil" bit.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#196 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Am I the only one who finds the silence from all parties on this issue deafening?

Whether its true or not it makes good sense for Sam to let it linger. Certainly wont do any harm to any potential offer from Souths or one of their sponsors.

#197 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

It's not the signing (although that's bad news for RL) it's the timing. Same time period as when they signed Faz, immediately before SL kicks off for 2014. If the deal was done during the RLWC in November, why wasn't it announced in November? That's the "evil" bit.

Trojan, it's not worth stressing about it. If you have been to the doctors, worry about that. Its only a game after all. If he goes, RL will still continue. Way more important things to worry about in life than this.

Edit: I think it was a different Trojan!

Edited by Johnoco, 06 February 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#198 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Reading with interest all the panic stricken comments and finally some sense (RSN).
Not a chance of this happening.

#199 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oJEERSw7FlU

#200 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Reading with interest all the panic stricken comments and finally some sense (RSN).
Not a chance of this happening.

Its hardly panic, the sources saying it is happening are not just someone in the pub.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users