Sam Burgess (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#201 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Reading with interest all the panic stricken comments and finally some sense (RSN).Not a chance of this happening.

Well we'll see, won't we.
I disagree with RSN about his prospects though. I think he'll be a sensation in RU. Truly phenomenal.

#202 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

More proof that playing RL offers a fast track to England RU? This could help RL expand outside the heartlands much faster

#203 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,817 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

More proof that playing RL offers a fast track to England RU? This could help RL expand outside the heartlands much faster

Don't talk ridiculous. Is that all you think of RL? Some sort of feeder for a totally boring game?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#204 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oJEERSw7FlU

The key phrase here is surely '---if an athlete has made up his mind he wants to break his contract--- they generally get their way.'

#205 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

Is this the rfu trying to divide and rule the premiership ru clubs given the stuff over the European cup?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#206 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Is this the rfu trying to divide and rule the premiership ru clubs given the stuff over the European cup?

Not really, Bath and Saracens seem to have been the drivers of the whole thing so probably the last club they'd be looking to help out.

I think Sam Burgess's silence has been pretty telling, he could put an end to this in 140 characters or less and has chosen not too.

Then again the whole thing seems a bit weird i honestly thought Sam Burgess was the last player that would switch codes, coupled with the fact that i don't bye the idea of him as an inside centre it all doesn't make a huge amount of sense

#207 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Well we'll see, won't we.
I disagree with RSN about his prospects though. I think he'll be a sensation in RU. Truly phenomenal.

I fail too see how. Sam is built like the perfect RL. Name every single player this century who has switched between codes, they are all outside backs with the exception of Farrell. There is a reason Union props and RL props do not float between codes and the same with second rowers. They are literally like two completely different sports in terms of techniques used and what you have to be good at.

He doesn't accelerate quickly enough to be an outside back in Union. That will be his down fall. He can't play in the forwards and he's to slow for the backs. He is probably physically strong enough for a role in the forwards and could probably adapt with 2 or 3 years top class coaching.

But as for being a success in the 2015 world cup I don't think he will be for the reasons stated below. Which is a shame for Sam as he may ruin his legacy of being the best English forward of the modern era. Just not worth it IMO.

#208 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

Two forwards have been successful Brad Thorn flitting back across a few times and the Paramatta 13 (ray ?) in the Kenny?stirling side. But these stayed in the forwards and to defend at centre he would struggle one on one with quality SH centres.

#209 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Don't talk ridiculous. Is that all you think of RL? Some sort of feeder for a totally boring game?

No - but some newcomers outside the heartlands might think trying their hand at RL will benefit their RU skills. Then they will be hooked on RL!

#210 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

if his move to bath does happen....can some bring kyle eastmond back please....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#211 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,817 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

No - but some newcomers outside the heartlands might think trying their hand at RL will benefit their RU skills. Then they will be hooked on RL!

Yeah of course.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#212 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

sam proposed move is gonna be talked about on the radio fivelive union show now

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#213 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

sam proposed move is gonna be talked about on the radio fivelive union show now

Don't torture yourself mate. There is no valid reason for listening to a show like that.

#214 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

if his move to bath does happen....can some bring kyle eastmond back please....

Two forwards have been successful Brad Thorn flitting back across a few times and the Paramatta 13 (ray ?) in the Kenny?stirling side. But these stayed in the forwards and to defend at centre he would struggle one on one with quality SH centres.

Ray Price, played with Peter Stirling for Paramatta, but don't think he was a forward in Union.

Eastwood is reported to have signed a new contract with Bath

#215 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

When Faz moved across and they ended up sticking him at 12, I could somewhat understand it.  He was a loose forward, he had the skill set and was probably too beaten up to play as a forward anymore.  But Burgess?  I would have thought they'd be looking at him as a back rower, which is what they originally wanted Faz for.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#216 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Quinnell and Barnes on the rugby club tonight didn't rate his chances, particularly with the relatively short timeline to the union world cup.  Barnes cited Henry Paul as an example of a failure.  Quinnell spoke about how far out of touch he himself became with union after just two years out of the game, even though he was a born and bred union player.  He forgot to mention how out of touch he still was with League after two years of trying it out!.  Both, of course, conveniently forgot to mention how well SBW converted from a League forward to a union centre and I rate Sam just as highlly, as a player, as SBW..  

#217 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,788 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Wales has produced several top quality league players who were previously successful RU forwards.

Paul Moriarty was a fairly recent success in both codes and I'm pretty sure that Paul would say that Sam is a better player.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#218 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I think it will be hard for him to stand out on a union pitch.  Defences have shored up a lot in the last 15 years and I think the midfield will seem very busy indeed.  He doesn't have a step or gas to get him out of trouble.

#219 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

The sentence was 'travelling the world playing in front of huge audiences...'.
Playing in front of 10,000 against the Warriors or Catalans is hardly the same as playing in front of 50,000+ for the Lions. Plus there is a suggestion of touring Canada, the USA and Argentina. Plus this is missing the main point of my post. England RU international coverage on TV would make Sam a huge international star. At the moment, despite his being (arguably) England's best rugby league player and it being just after a world cup, he could comfortably walk around London without anyone recognising him.

There is unlikely to be a Lions tour in the life cycle of his contract.  RU won't make him a huge international star, it may make him a slightly bigger name in the UK (for a short time).  As for the walk around London nonsense there is probably only one rugby player of either code who has had any resonance in the national psyche in the whole time either code has been played and that's Jonny Wilkinson.  The rest generate some of the best answers on pointless.

He's played in front of huge audiences.  Check out any of the NRL play off games he's played in.

Burgess is probably only attracted by the one off opportunity to play in a big tournament.  The travelling the world nonsense is just that.  Let's not over play the hand on this one.

#220 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

England played 2 tests in Argentina, last year.....

Dont forget the upcoming world cup....the ultimate rugby test in either code!

He won't be travelling far for the world cup.

They did and they weren't in front of huge crowds of course all the supposedly better players were in Australia at the time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users