Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Burgess (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#221 bazza_merged

bazza_merged
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

Ray Price, played with Peter Stirling for Paramatta, but don't think he was a forward in Union.

Eastwood is reported to have signed a new contract with Bath

Ray price played Flanker/Breakaway in union - wouldn't be surpised if he played both sports growing up

Similarly I expect Brad Thorne would have played both codes growing up

• nec likes this

#222 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

I see Mick Cleary has chipped in with his expert opinion, once again citing all these RL converts who 'failed' in RU.. But all played for the national team. I hate these rats. Union journos are the lowest of the low..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#223 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

We all know the measure of success for a Rugby League player switching to union is similar that of the England football manager.  The latter has to win the world cup or he is a failure, the former has to play in a world cup winning side and then just maybe he will be considered a success.

#224 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

I see Mick Cleary has chipped in with his expert opinion, once again citing all these RL converts who 'failed' in RU.. But all played for the national team. I hate these rats. Union journos are the lowest of the low..

Lets not forget that in the good old days before League players could play Union, these people used to describe League players as overweight thugs, little better than Big Daddy or Giant Haystacks.  It really used to gall me, some of the best athletes in the country denigrated like this.  But they got their opinions printed nationally and our journos didn't.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#225 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

Mick Cleary is a ##### of the highest order, love to see him play in a local Rugby League game.

#226 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

unfair......to rats.

#227 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

More proof that playing RL offers a fast track to England RU? This could help RL expand outside the heartlands much faster

The RFL have shown in their actions over the last few months with their continuing support for Bradford, and nothing for London, that they are not really serious about expanding outside this mythical place people call the heartlands as regards Super League. Thats a debate for another day on another thread though.

#228 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

If the rfu are serious about making Sam a star in their game I would advise them to take Kevin Sinfied as well otherwise Sam will get hypothermia waiting for a decent pass to run onto.  Farrell couldn't pass a cup of water!

Edited by topchef, 06 February 2014 - 11:10 PM.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#229 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

There is unlikely to be a Lions tour in the life cycle of his contract.

They're touring NZ in 2017. Sam is rumoured to be accepting a 3 year contract from 2015. Have I missed something?

RU is unquestionably a bigger sport than RL in the UK and worldwide (though perhaps not in Redfern, I agree). He would have a much higher national profile as a sensation in union, which many think he would be, than as a sensation in league, which he is. There are pages and pages of union guff in the national papers almost every day. League got relatively little even during a very successful world cup.

#230 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

I fail too see how. Sam is built like the perfect RL. Name every single player this century who has switched between codes,.

I don't think that's relevant. Just because few forwards have switched in the past, doesn't preclude them from doing so in the future. Jeremy Guscott thinks he has the size, power and handling skills to challenge for a place at centre in next year's world cup. I find it hard to disagree.

#231 Jack Russell

Jack Russell
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

I hear the rfu want burgess to play centre. I've just read an article whilst looking at other league converts and thought it was interesting to note that in baths game against Worcester last year, Kyle Eastmond (playing centre) managed to touch the ball an amazing zero times. He says it was the first game he has ever played and not touched the ball. For someone like burgess that likes to get stuck in, I just can't get my head around it. Saying that, I do believe he won't go.

#232 ben25

ben25
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

The Burgess story is huge news here in Aust. Even fans that dislike Souths feel they have been badly let down by Sam after all that club has done for him and he's family. Especially leaving mid contract he will now be remembered as a disloyal man rather than the great RL player he is.

It is a huge blow to RL that two of its greatest players and most marketable International stars in SBW and Burgess are leaving to go play the other code. Even if Burgess fails, he is not suited to RU, they will get there monies worth through promotion and also by signing him for 3years that means Sam will not play in the 2017 RL world cup robbing England of there best player and most marketable player. These two players made sports fans realise that England and NZ can produce the best RL players not just Australia, they really promoted international RL.

RU will stop at nothing to destroy RL and enough is enough. The NRL has so much money these days that I believe its time to strike back and poach any RU players in the world that look like they would be suited to the game. This will help grow the international game and promote it even more. They cannot just sit back and let players keep leaving.

#233 LineBall

LineBall
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

If someone offered you a bigger boatload of money to do a variation of your job somewhere else what would you say?

Bingo!

#234 LineBall

LineBall
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:00 AM

A more prominent international fixture would  go some way to helping keep players in Rugby League.  But as always, the biggest factor will be money.  If the NRL could double what he could earn in Union, there's no way he would go.

#235 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

Aint read all these post so excuse me, but as stuart lancaster commented as of yet??

#236 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:00 AM

In my opinion this is all his agent trying to get more $$ out of Souths. 

I can't see him being ready for the RUWC as he won't even be moving to rugby union until October 2014. That is a year out from said RUWC and it gives him only 6 months of Aviva Premiership rugby to learn all of the nuances that he needs to know (Nowhere near enough time in my opinion!). They would then need to blood him in their end of season tour 6 months into a new sport (If they are having a tour in 2015) as they can't wait until the RUWC to throw him in at international level.

Throw in the fact that he's injury prone so may need a rest/ an op after the NRL season, I personally just cant see it happening.

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#237 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

why should souths release him or do we have another SBW saga very sad considering how much exposure he as a RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYER had during our world cup. Again take the money and run, and the hide of Farrell is this bloke got any ethics stealing from the game that made him, and for all purposes could never have made it in the NRL. Really I again struggle to see what union produces as players in attack they are foaming at mouth over benji trial run, folau is a world class player in half a season, SBW is best centre in 1 and half seasons, to me for all the best rugby players in world I think they produce nothing and no doubt they will try there luck with sam Tomkins.

It is only AUSTRALIAN RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYERS THAT SEE RUGBY UNION IS TOTAL GARBAGE TO WATCH AND PLAY.

#238 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

Aint read all these post so excuse me, but as stuart lancaster commented as of yet??

I read him reported as saying that 'if there is any interest then it has come from Sam'. Which implies he made the approach.

#239 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

The Burgess story is huge news here in Aust. Even fans that dislike Souths feel they have been badly let down by Sam after all that club has done for him and he's family. Especially leaving mid contract he will now be remembered as a disloyal man rather than the great RL player he is

That's a shame the Aussies see it that way, because, in reality, it is their failure to embrace international football that has let world class athletes like Burgess down.
People called Romans they go the house

#240 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

From what  was said  on to nights news(here in NZ) no one at Souths knows anything about Sam leaving.The whole thing is most likely speculation and no more.