Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Burgess (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#241 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

RU will stop at nothing to destroy RL...

This has always been the case. An open gangway between the sports (because they're not 'codes' of the same sport) has done nothing to change this.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#242 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Come on Sam be an hero to a few and sod the Toffs - tell them to sod off. Show the RU world that money doesn't buy religion.

#243 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

I hear the rfu want burgess to play centre. I've just read an article whilst looking at other league converts and thought it was interesting to note that in baths game against Worcester last year, Kyle Eastmond (playing centre) managed to touch the ball an amazing zero times. He says it was the first game he has ever played and not touched the ball. For someone like burgess that likes to get stuck in, I just can't get my head around it. Saying that, I do believe he won't go.

I'd be interested to see that article, where is did you find it? What a waste of talent.

#244 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

A more prominent international fixture would  go some way to helping keep players in Rugby League.  But as always, the biggest factor will be money.  If the NRL could double what he could earn in Union, there's no way he would go.

both of these point are nonsense...

1.theres a 4nations in 2014 & 16.....a world cup in 2017.....the only thing up in the air is 2015 which looks likely to be a GB tour....all this will be announced at the RLIF meeting during the WCC weekend..

2. sam's next contract,from 2016,will see him double his current wages...he might even become the first $1m a season englishman...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#245 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

From what  was said  on to nights news(here in NZ) no one at Souths knows anything about Sam leaving.The whole thing is most likely speculation and no more.

I doubt that. This isn't gossip overheard in a pub in Dewsbury. Everyone has gone with this story. An official announcement can't be made until the deal is finalised, probably early next week, but the bland nature of the denials so far suggests to me that this is the merely the official line for now. This is done.

#246 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

They're touring NZ in 2017. Sam is rumoured to be accepting a 3 year contract from 2015. Have I missed something?

RU is unquestionably a bigger sport than RL in the UK and worldwide (though perhaps not in Redfern, I agree). He would have a much higher national profile as a sensation in union, which many think he would be, than as a sensation in league, which he is. There are pages and pages of union guff in the national papers almost every day. League got relatively little even during a very successful world cup.

If he goes in 2015 then he would be leaving himself mission impossible to stand any chance of being ready for the RU world cup.  He either goes now or at the latest at the end of the 2014 NRL season.  I would be surprised if his supposed 3 year contract didn't finish in time for him to be back in the NRL before the next Lions tour.  Either way he's not going for a Lions tour, it's the RU world cup he's going for and which granted will be a bigger tournament than anything that league can offer.  He's not going to be a global superstar playing RU or RL.  He get a higher profile in the UK for a short while that profile will be nothing like the one he currently has in Australia.  He's going for the chance to play in one big tournament and a big pay packet while he works to see if it comes off. 

#247 Jack Russell

Jack Russell
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

[quote name="Trojan horse" post="2876301" timestamp="1391760433"]I'd be interested to see that article, where is did you find it? What a waste of talent.[/

Type into google "Kyle eastmond doesn't touch ball". It's on planet rugby, (note: they don't call it planet rugby union, cheeky toffs).

#248 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

both of these point are nonsense...

1.theres a 4nations in 2014 & 16.....a world cup in 2017.....the only thing up in the air is 2015 which looks likely to be a GB tour....all this will be announced at the RLIF meeting during the WCC weekend..

2. sam's next contract,from 2016,will see him double his current wages...he might even become the first $1m a season englishman...

I doubt it's (just) about money. Sam Burgess has a reputation among his Souths teammates of being very media aware and relentlessly courting self-publicity. My guess is he wants the public exposure that playing union can provide him with. Just look at the coverage that the 6 nations gets. The RLWC, success that it was, didn't get anywhere near this.
There is also a widely held feeling that Sam doesn't fit-in with Michael Maguire, especially regarding his disciplinary record. Get used to the idea that he's gone.

#249 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

If he goes in 2015 then he would be leaving himself mission impossible to stand any chance of being ready for the RU world cup.

Maybe, maybe not. He's an exceptional player. It wouldn't surprise me if he genuinely was challenging for a place by then. Crucially though, it's rumoured that the RFU want him. They're hardly going to bankroll his move then not pick him. Unless he's an absolute disaster I suspect he'll be there or thereabouts.

#250 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Nothing union gets in this country, in terms of publicity or exposure, will get anywhere near the publicity the NRL get in Australia.. If Sam burgess wanted greater profile the only sport in the UK that could offer him greater profile than he already has is Football.

The only exposure he'll get over here is to the RU public. He'll get his face in the sports pages a bit more than if he played Rugby League over here, but thats about it.

He'll also get invited to 'city' functions.

I'd suggest his lifestyle in Sydney is better than it would be living in the south west of England (or anywhere in England for that matter).

Maybe it is the challenge he wants, but when he hasn't actually won anything in RL you'd assume there are still plenty of challenges out there for him in RL.

He's currently living the dream in Australia, which makes the switch sound even more crazy, unless he's been offered a ridiculous amount of money.. which might tempt someone to swap everything he currently has for something else.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 07 February 2014 - 09:01 AM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#251 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

If I had the choice between Sydney, Australia and Bath, England, then Sydney would win every time.

To be fair, Bath is notorious as one of the ugliest cities on Earth.

That's me.  I'm done.

#252 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

I doubt it's (just) about money. Sam Burgess has a reputation among his Souths teammates of being very media aware and relentlessly courting self-publicity. My guess is he wants the public exposure that playing union can provide him with.

Then it very much depends if he sees his future in Australia or the UK.   If he want to stay in Australia, then the big stardom lies in the NRL.  In the UK, if he wants any level of recognition outside of his sport then he probably needs to play RU.   I suspect though, compared to his current situation, the public exposure of an England RU player will disappoint.

That's me.  I'm done.

#253 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Then it very much depends if he sees his future in Australia or the UK.

The change in his introduction on Twitter to '... living in Sydney for now' might suggest where he sees his future?
The whole thing is a bit odd. He was telling everyone who'd listen about how wonderful life in Sydney was and he was going to apply for Australian citizenship. All of a sudden he wants to come 'home'.
We'll see.

#254 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

Lots of speculation that he is coming back for the money or the increased profile. Interestingly the Times says he wants to move back to the UK above all the other reasons.

Which begs the question. If he does really want to come back to Blighty, has he been touted to any English SL clubs (I guess not) and could that be anything to do with the lack of player earning power in the sport?

If this was even a minor contributing factor, surely it is a wake up that something like the marquee allowance has to be trialled. If Sam wants to earn £500k pa, and Dr K or anyone else is prepared to meet that out of his own pocket, then surely there has to be a way to accommodate such a superstar player in our game?

#255 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Lots of speculation that he is coming back for the money or the increased profile. Interestingly the Times says he wants to move back to the UK above all the other reasons.

Which begs the question. If he does really want to come back to Blighty, has he been touted to any English SL clubs (I guess not) and could that be anything to do with the lack of player earning power in the sport?

If this was even a minor contributing factor, surely it is a wake up that something like the marquee allowance has to be trialled. If Sam wants to earn £500k pa, and Dr K or anyone else is prepared to meet that out of his own pocket, then surely there has to be a way to accommodate such a superstar player in our game?

If that was to happen could you imagine the moaning from the pit village teams like Cas and Wakey?? If someone is prepared to pay Burgess what ever it takes to keep him in RL then we should let them.

If I was a millionaire owner if a SL team I would be basking the RFLs door down to get it agreed.

#256 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

As for somebody talking about improving the international game, the global season locks us into one trans-hemisphere international window, which is at the end of the season.  Now, the only way to get the Aussies and Kiwis over here every year (and us over there) is for Europe to return to the winter season.  Then, you can tour the other hemisphere at the end of your season.  We'd have to finish up by early May to to get our players over there so as to not disturb the sacred cow of Origin.  I'm not anti-Summer Rugby but as I see it, it's the only way to make it work.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#257 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

'The Times' this morning reckons that the RFU will be in deep trouble with the clubs if it tries to bankroll this deal - they reckon it'll cost $A500k to buy out his contract and as much again for his salary!

Edited by Chronicler of Chiswick, 07 February 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#258 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

Union is becoming a bit like a poor man's Chelsea.

They have some money splashing around, and will take all the available superstars even if they have no idea what they are going to do with them.

Don't be surprised to see Burgess move to Union, and then immediately be loaned out to Gaelic Football, just so that RL can't have him.

#259 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

If that was to happen could you imagine the moaning from the pit village teams like Cas and Wakey?? If someone is prepared to pay Burgess what ever it takes to keep him in RL then we should let them.

If I was a millionaire owner if a SL team I would be basking the RFLs door down to get it agreed.

Thing is though by all accounts Wood and Rimmer are in favour of the marquee allowance, as are the likes of Davy, Moran and GH, but other clubs (I presume this includes the ones you mention) are blocking it.

Assuming a majority need to be in favour, and that from 2015 there will be two fewer SL poor clubs to object, maybe there is greater chance of such an allowance being voted in favour of (and maybe a raising of the cap) for next season.

For me Sam B should be England RL captain and having him in the side gives us so much more chance of finally beating the Aussies. If he does go to RU because that sport can pay the money he and his manager want, then surely it will be the big wake up call that is needed for RL in this country.

#260 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

The sentence was 'travelling the world playing in front of huge audiences...'.
Playing in front of 10,000 against the Warriors or Catalans is hardly the same as playing in front of 50,000+ for the Lions. Plus there is a suggestion of touring Canada, the USA and Argentina. Plus this is missing the main point of my post. England RU international coverage on TV would make Sam a huge international star. At the moment, despite his being (arguably) England's best rugby league player and it being just after a world cup, he could comfortably walk around London without anyone recognising him.

Name me one RU player that is a "huge international star" Your average English sorts fan wold struggle I bet to name more than a handful of the current players.

Sam currently has a life akin to a Premiership footballer does. 

Yes RL is a small sport, but I'm afraid so is RU, both small sports under the shadow of soccer. Miniscule in international appeal. I'd suggest that every Englannd player could walk about London without been recognised or mobbed.

Within 2 years he'll just be another bag of wasted money on another experiment. Develop your own players. Wouldn't the money better be invested in development by the RFU?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users