Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Burgess (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#261 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Haven't the union mob just bought in their Marquee player rule? clearly Burgess is going to the cap exempt player if he does go to Bath.

Makes you wonder how long it will be before certain chairman start wanting to have that discussion again.. maybe once we lose two teams at the end of the season.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#262 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Haven't the union mob just bought in their Marquee player rule? clearly Burgess is going to the cap exempt player if he does go to Bath.

Makes you wonder how long it will be before certain chairman start wanting to have that discussion again.. maybe once we lose two teams at the end of the season.

Yes, just increased their cap by £500k pa plus the marquee player.

#263 Jack Russell

Jack Russell
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

The Telegraph reports sam could earn up to £1m per year in union, and is about to sign for 3 years. No league club could or should i say is allowed to have him on their books due to the salary cap. BUT, is there anything that prevents a wealthy millionaire, say for example .... erm .....Koukash, from paying £3m upfront into a players pocket based on a three year contract and then a smaller salary thereafter to remain within the salary  cap restraints?????  After all Koukash has just said on Sky sports to brace yourselves for a major announcement before their first game! 

#264 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

The Telegraph reports sam could earn up to £1m per year in union, and is about to sign for 3 years. No league club could or should i say is allowed to have him on their books due to the salary cap. BUT, is there anything that prevents a wealthy millionaire, say for example .... erm .....Koukash, from paying £3m upfront into a players pocket based on a three year contract and then a smaller salary thereafter to remain within the salary  cap restraints?????  After all Koukash has just said on Sky sports to brace yourselves for a major announcement before their first game!

That would take "major" to a new level!

#265 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Would, say, MK, be allowed to buy SBs UTE off him for $3million before any contracts are signed?

#266 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

Would, say, MK, be allowed to buy SBs UTE off him for $3million before any contracts are signed?

I'm pretty sure that all of those sneaky ways of getting money across to a player (you sign for three years, then work as my window cleaner for the following six years at the same rate, part time so you can play elsewhere) are banned. Not sure exactly how they cover all circumstances, but cover them they do. Or at least they try.

#267 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

A more prominent international fixture would  go some way to helping keep players in Rugby League.  But as always, the biggest factor will be money.  If the NRL could double what he could earn in Union, there's no way he would go.

The problem with a more prominent international fixture list is that the NRL clubs are not interested in anything that goes on outside of Australia, The NRL are insular and can't see the benefits a successful international calender would bring to the WHOLE of Rugby League.

Edited by The Future is League, 07 February 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#268 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

I'm pretty sure that all of those sneaky ways of getting money across to a player (you sign for three years, then work as my window cleaner for the following six years at the same rate, part time so you can play elsewhere) are banned. Not sure exactly how they cover all circumstances, but cover them they do. Or at least they try.

Many of us will probably agree, however, that if a marquee player allowance was brought in today then Marwan would have his cheque book open to try and counter any offer for Burgess from Bath.

I would have a marquee player allowance but clubs would have to apply to the RFL to exercise it. This would involve an exercise to ensure it could be afforded by any SL club.

#269 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

Name me one RU player that is a "huge international star" Your average English sorts fan wold struggle I bet to name more than a handful of the current players.

Sam currently has a life akin to a Premiership footballer does. 

Yes RL is a small sport, but I'm afraid so is RU, both small sports under the shadow of soccer. Miniscule in international appeal. I'd suggest that every Englannd player could walk about London without been recognised or mobbed.

Within 2 years he'll just be another bag of wasted money on another experiment. Develop your own players. Wouldn't the money better be invested in development by the RFU?

The same can be said of Sam Burgess if he walks the streets of Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Darwin in Australia. 

#270 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

The problem with a more prominent international fixture list is that the NRL clubs are not interested in anything that goes on outside of Australia, The NRL are insular and can't see the benefits a successful international calender would bring to the WHOLE of Rugby League.

Its a kick up the backside for the NRL.

#271 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Many of us will probably agree, however, that if a marquee player allowance was brought in today then Marwan would have his cheque book open to try and counter any offer for Burgess from Bath.

I would have a marquee player allowance but clubs would have to apply to the RFL to exercise it. This would involve an exercise to ensure it could be afforded by any SL club.

Maybe the person/sponsor putting the money up should agree to sign as a guarantor for any marquee player payments. It's no good someone promising to pay a playe £500k per year and then bail after 1 year leaving the club with liabilities.

Edited by markleeds, 07 February 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#272 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

Maybe the person/sponsor putting the money up should agree to sign as a guarantor for any marquee player payments. It's no good someone promising to pay a playe £500k per year and then bail after 1 year leaving the club with liabilities.

And I am sure that some of the bigger players in SL (Moran, Koucash, Leneghan etc.) would be happy to do this. This option could see the likes of Billy Slater, Paul Gallen and Sam Tomkins playing in SL in the next few years. This can only be good for our sport while not demolishing the good things that the SL does.

#273 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,365 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

I see Australian anti-RL hack Rebecca Wilson has stuck her hoof in, trying to stir things up.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#274 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

There's been a lot of  mention about Sam Burgess' 'increased profile' where he to switch, well has Joel Tomkins' profile increased? Nope, he's still the lesser known brother despite the massive media attention he's supposed to have received. Same with Kyle Eastmond. If he wants to a huge national profile where everyone on the street knows him, then he should move to Manchester United or Chelsea. And this idea that he'll 'see the world' by playing Union is laughable. He's already visited Australia, NZ, France, South Africa, Wales etc. simply by playing for England RL. Unless he switches to Tennis or F1, I don't see him travelling the world for his sport. 

#275 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Marwan is saying on Sky he wants to sign 1 very special player.

#276 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,365 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Marwan is saying on Sky he wants to sign 1 very special player.

But he can't without getting Cap exemption.

If he'd signed Burgess under normal circumstances, it would get, at most, a 20-word paragraph in most national newspapers. If he could wangle it now, Sam's been back page headline material for a couple of days and would be BIG news.

Not that I think it'll happen.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#277 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

There's been a lot of  mention about Sam Burgess' 'increased profile' where he to switch, well has Joel Tomkins' profile increased? Nope, he's still the lesser known brother despite the massive media attention he's supposed to have received. Same with Kyle Eastmond. If he wants to a huge national profile where everyone on the street knows him, then he should move to Manchester United or Chelsea. And this idea that he'll 'see the world' by playing Union is laughable. He's already visited Australia, NZ, France, South Africa, Wales etc. simply by playing for England RL. Unless he switches to Tennis or F1, I don't see him travelling the world for his sport. 

I think this is a really good point.

That's me.  I'm done.

#278 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

I think this is a really good point.

You're overlooking the draw of the Las Vegas 7s.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#279 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

I see Australian anti-RL hack Rebecca Wilson has stuck her hoof in, trying to stir things up.

The article's well worth a read actually.    The stuff about the Rabbitohs camp may or may not be true, but it's quite on the ball about the level of stardom that the Burgess brothers (and Mum) enjoy in Australia.

It could be that he's actually fed up of the media attention and sees a return to the UK as the way out.  It's doubtful any SL club could afford him, so RU is the way forward.

That's me.  I'm done.

#280 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

You're overlooking the draw of the Las Vegas 7s.

Ah, the RU 7s circuit.   I can certainly see the appeal of playing 7s in a variety of scaldingly hot dustbowls in front of a handful of braying, coked up stockbrokers.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users