Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Burgess (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#21 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

I know, I was pulling your leg Mate, It is a shambles and dates and venues should have been known long before now.

No dramas; I think I am a bit threaders this morning - something has massively wound me up! :D

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#22 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,542 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Your music mad you.

Thanks.
Its my opinion SB is a Rugby League player, as opposed to a Rugby player. I could understand the cash angle but he won't be short of that, nor fame given his profile in Oz. All that said, this story is probably total rubbish.

A label is a label, definition nothing more

Because of labels we have placed we live in constant war,

Destroy all that tradition -and live before you die

Lets rock together from now on and never be denied.

Walk Together, Rock Together.

#23 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Stories like this always appear near the start of the season, it's just another bit of marketing from the Rah Rahs, if only RL execs we're say enough to do the same.

The problem is who would they want?

In Australia probably only Izzy Folau

#24 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

I'd be surprised if his was true. Sam seems League through and through, plus he's got his brothers at the club and they've got a good thing going. It ruddy well better not be true anyway!!!!!!
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#25 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

Message to Sam - watch the wales game - its just not your game mate. You will die of exposure at centre !

Maybe we could just load hims for the rah rah world cup - quarter finals onwards

#26 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Looks like the RFU has denied it, seems to be the media kicking up some dirt. As I said it happens every year when the season is about to start .

#27 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Has he played union before. Given the RU world cup is only 18 months or so away and after the end of the NRL season not many internationals for him to play in when will he get the international experience before starting the world cup. Plus not much time at a club to adjust to the union game.

Unlike SBW he hasn't dual code experience at the top level to make the 2015 world cup.

Edited by redjonn, 01 February 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#28 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

He'd walk it - England RU have never seen an athlete like him. It would be like the days when Robinsons powers were waning and he had to jump ship. For two years the opposition were terrified of the though of him touching the ball instead I don't think Sam would dance, more like run over the top of several bodies at a time.

#29 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

Earning a lot more money, playing on an international stage in front of packed stadiums, in a World Cup, higher national profile, why would he want this? Possibly the same reasons SBW did.

Contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

The NRL is the wealthiest rugby competition in he world. Are you sure RU pays more. Packed stadia, World Cup, he's just been there and done that.

#30 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

The NRL is the wealthiest rugby competition in he world. Are you sure RU pays more. Packed stadia, World Cup, he's just been there and done that.

They do seem to have an over inflated opinion of their mess of a sport.

I have seen TV ratings for both codes and only Internationals seem to rate any good in most countries union is played at a so-called decent level, outside that, only the Kiwis, Frogs and former Dutch White Africans seem to care for any other part of it in any sort of numbers, and the numbers I've seen are dwarfed by the NRL and in some cases, the Super League.

#31 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Daily Telegraph is saying Farrell made the approach. http://m.dailytelegr...2-1226815622240

#32 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Daily Telegraph is saying Farrell made the approach. http://m.dailytelegr...2-1226815622240

thats the definition of scabby tabloid reporting! Damage control! We have learned that it's believed! Not a shred of evidence to back anything up at all. Amazing
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#33 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 953 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Classy move from Andy Farrell there. I don't think.

#34 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

They could make an exception and let him play for NSW in the State of Origin but England/GB in internationals. If he wants to play in front of packed stadiums he can do.

#35 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Who else thinks this will all end up with a Sam Burgess tweet along the lines of "don't know where all this talk has come from. Loving being with the boys etc"?

Edited by Scubby, 02 February 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#36 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Who else thinks this will all end up with a Sam Burgess tweet along the lines of "don't know where all this talk has come from. Loving being with the boys etc"?

Don't forget mentioning that he is 'going for a feed' or 'smashing a costa'.

#37 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

Don't forget mentioning that he is 'going for a feed' or 'smashing a costa'.

Exactly, he knows that playing 5 more seasons in the NRL could, firstly, make him a lot of money but also see him up as the greatest British player ever to play down under. Channel 9 love him and he has seen how Fittler, Johns, Lockyer, Lewis, Sterling etc. have carved out high profile careers after finishing playing.

I can't imagine leaving his family (again), going back to winter rugby and trying to pick up an unfamiliar game in just a few months is worth the hassle.

#38 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

Oh what a waste - just imagine: Sam at centre not seen the ball for 15 minutes - and he had to kick that last touch, it's raining, muddy cold and stepoison Jones commenting that he just can hack the technical aspects of giving interviews and talking bxxxxxxxs about scrums being re set.....

#39 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,848 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

RFU have denied approaching him so looks like the press making up stories of Sam trying to switch to playing RU.

28m391z.jpg

#40 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,608 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

LINK TO STORY

...assuming we can believe what the RFU say, that is.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users