TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Burgess (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#41 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

LINK TO STORY

...assuming we can believe what the RFU say, that is.

Are you wearing your foil 'safety' hat?

#42 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Back page of tomorrow's Mail saying he's off to union. Chris Foy with the story, though not sure if the article says anything we haven't already heard.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#43 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

According to this paper it's a done deal..  shame really.

http://www.dailymail...-Cup-plans.html

#44 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

:(

#45 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,045 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

If the NRL can't keep our stars away from RU, the English game had better watch out. Says something about RU's lack of talent though when one of our props can be slated for a centre position at international level without ever having played their game. I guess the other centre and the full back will be the other brothers and their mother will play standoff.

#46 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

Wasted in a game where the balls is buried under a load of fat forwards of hoofed up in the air. He should have stayed with the Bunnies. He has nothing to really offer Union and Union nothing to offer him except more money. He has no experience playing Union and he is hardly going to master it in a few months

#47 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

I still don't believe it will happen.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#48 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

I am beginning to really dislike Andy Farrell.I know I shouldn't,but I that's how I now feel about him

Edited by fieldofclothofgold, 06 February 2014 - 12:08 AM.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#49 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

I am beginning to really dislike Andy Farrell.I know I shouldn't,but I that's how I now feel about him

When I saw his piccy, I wondered whether it was Martin Johnson.

#50 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

can we ban players from returning to league??

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#51 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

I am still a little sceptical about this coming off. Your whole family follows you across the world to a club and you head the other way? I can't see how you would risk your reputation on learning a sport you had no knowledge of in 9 months.

I think Souths' reaction will determine how much legs this story has.

#52 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

Yes, i would not be to upset about Sam going to play Union world cup. He would probably return after the world cup to a rugby league club ready for the League World Cup 2017 Australia. Hopefully Sonny Bill as well. 

This could become a common practice, and really , if you look at this in promoting rugby league, it is getting our game out their to the world. 

The NRL has lost Sonny Bill, Israel Falou, Carmicheal Hunt, Benji Marshal Sam Burgess, previously Brad Thorn, Wendal Sailor, Lotti Taquri, Matt Rogers and Mark Gasnier amoung others. 

The more we produce, the more our code becomes mainstream. 

We will even make headway into the Olmpics sevens at this rate. 

http://www.stuff.co....d-to-perfection

This is a good read. And people are starting to sit up and take notice of our production line of talent that does not faulter under the loss of our best players. 

We still have only tipped the surface really, i was just reading that 2 years ago the amount of league players crossing the tasman (nz)  to Australia was around 500, well last year it was up to 850 juniors. 

That is a major increase, and with the nines and more games than ever played in NZ this year, (4 at Eden Park, as well as one in Wellington and Dunedun) or code is taking off in the schools and on TV. 

Free publicity with our players heading to Union is a bonus, we need to treat it that way, and our code is not paying their wages to go to union. Cheers. 

#53 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

I am still a little sceptical about this coming off. Your whole family follows you across the world to a club and you head the other way? I can't see how you would risk your reputation on learning a sport you had no knowledge of in 9 months.

I think Souths' reaction will determine how much legs this story has.

thats what i just thought...his whole blood family followed him to south!!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#54 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

thats what i just thought...his whole blood family followed him to south!!

It may well happen but why did the RFU come out and say they had made no approach? Also why would £500k be a figure when they could put £1m+ on his head - Souths don't need the cash. 

The family thing is the one that leaves me sceptical. Even his Mum has emigrated. It could be agent orientated rather than RFU hunting. Also his style would potentially make him a penalty machine in RU.

#55 Pom WA

Pom WA
  • Coach
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

Seems a potentially large amount of money at high risk for the RFU. This is definitely from left field for Sam Burgess, I always felt our awesome forwards were generally safe from union coz the transition is too unpredictable. Might hold off on booking holidays around the four nations now.

#56 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

If true, I'm speechless …

#57 LineBall

LineBall
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

Shame if true.  I wonder what Russell Crowe's reaction would be if this happened?  He's done a lot to help Sam settle in to Oz, as well as the rest of the family.  

#58 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

Hopefully in 4 years time he will be playing for the second expansion team in Brisbane as a major marquee signing. 

The players in the Rugby Union world cup will open the door for the NRL  once expansion is announced and 2 new teams will be looking for players. 

You cant get better exposure than making headlines promoting new expansion teams. One or two rugby world-cup stars will be fantastic for these new clubs. 

Sam Burgess and Israel Falou would be massive new signings for new expansion clubs. 

#59 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

If the NRL can't keep our stars away from RU, the English game had better watch out. Says something about RU's lack of talent though when one of our props can be slated for a centre position at international level without ever having played their game. I guess the other centre and the full back will be the other brothers and their mother will play standoff.

Has he played for England in union already? I thought it was between Bath and Burgess.

#60 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

Well I'm not going to click on the article as I don't want to give that website any hits, but I'll take it with a pinch of salt. IF it's true, then I'll lose all my respect for him, considering all Souths have done for him and his family, just to run at the first sign of money,

That said, the stark reality is the RFU will be loaded after the WC, so don't be surprised to see more RL players being targeted in the next five years or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users