Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

McDermott & London

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

BBC report Leeds coach Brian McDermott as saying rugby league in London should be given a chance.

It has been 34 years since Fulham launched, how long does he want to give it FFS

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/25928537

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#2 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

As long as it takes?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#3 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

As long as it takes?

Considering half the clubs in the traditional areas are complete basket cases after over a 100yrs, you are certainly right!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#4 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

Considering half the clubs in the traditional areas are complete basket cases after over a 100yrs, you are certainly right!

Yes but they're heartland clubs, you're not allowed to discuss them in the same way. You don't get this, do you?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#5 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

You don't get this, do you?

I do; I just like to buck the trend and actually bring a bit of common sense and reality to the discussion!

Edited by GeordieSaint, 01 February 2014 - 04:38 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#6 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

I do; I just like to buck the trend and actually bring a bit of common sense and reality to the discussion!

Good luck with that! It's a noble quest.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Yes but they're heartland clubs, you're not allowed to discuss them in the same way. You don't get this, do you?

Indeed. You wouldn't get anywhere arguing that Rochdale should be given a chance.

#8 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,087 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

London should be given as long as any founder club that is still going, that gives them longer than any of them.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#9 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

London should be given as long as any founder club that is still going, that gives them longer than any of them.

I don't think that McDermott was arguing that Broncos should be allowed to exist just as Rochdale or Batley exist. 

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,087 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

I don't think that McDermott was arguing that Broncos should be allowed to exist just as Rochdale or Batley exist. 

My post was aimed elsewhere.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

BM argues not to judge London by the fact that the professional team aren't that successful and see the wider picture. Good luck with that one.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#12 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

BBC report Leeds coach Brian McDermott as saying rugby league in London should be given a chance.

It has been 34 years since Fulham launched, how long does he want to give it FFS

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/25928537

Want to talk about the Bradford Bulls?

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

Want to talk about the Bradford Bulls?

Yes

#14 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

Yes

How much help has the RFL given to the Bulls in recent years compared to London?

Would the RFL have bought the lease of Londons ground like it did Bradfords?

Would the RFL have advanced London money like they did the Bulls?

Goodnight.

#15 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

Not many people seem to consider how badly run the London club has been leading up to this current situation. Their own fans and past players have actually alluded to this but yet generally on here it always seems to be someone else's fault. It would be great to have a successful London club attracting huge support but, in reality, have they done all they can as a club to try to achieve that?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

How much help has the RFL given to the Bulls in recent years compared to London?

Would the RFL have bought the lease of Londons ground like it did Bradfords?

Would the RFL have advanced London money like they did the Bulls?

Goodnight.

Not as much.

London don't have a ground to bargain with, although if they had an area the size of Odsal (peace be upon it) in London then they would be quids in.

Yes, almost certainly.

#17 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

Not many people seem to consider how badly run the London club has been leading up to this current situation. Their own fans and past players have actually alluded to this but yet generally on here it always seems to be someone else's fault. It would be great to have a successful London club attracting huge support but, in reality, have they done all they can as a club to try to achieve that?

I'd suggest that the most promising period in the history of the Broncos was when Richard Branson was their owner during the mid-late 90's. They were building a good fanbase, attracting decent crowds and were very competitive. Sadly, that progress all came crashing down when they moved to The Valley and lost all momentum. I guess that, back then, they were being run by people who knew what they were doing. If the right people were in charge down there, I'm sure that they could achieve long term success. As always, however, the million dollar question is ; 'how do we ensure that those people are put in place?'.

Posted Image

#18 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:46 AM

I'd suggest that the most promising period in the history of the Broncos was when Richard Branson was their owner during the mid-late 90's. They were building a good fanbase, attracting decent crowds and were very competitive. Sadly, that progress all came crashing down when they moved to The Valley and lost all momentum. I guess that, back then, they were being run by people who knew what they were doing. If the right people were in charge down there, I'm sure that they could achieve long term success. As always, however, the million dollar question is ; 'how do we ensure that those people are put in place?'.

As you say, it's the million dollar question. Perhaps it's a case of London being considered as a 'protected species' for so long by the RFL that has led to complacency and ultimately their possible demise. Hopefully not
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#19 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:51 AM

Check your facts - it was the move to The Stoop that stopped progress AFTER leaving The Valley in 1996

#20 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Check your facts - it was the move to The Stoop that stopped progress AFTER leaving The Valley in 1996

I'm well aware that they left The Valley at the end of the 1996 season, however in their first season at The Stoop they finished the league season in 2nd place - their best ever finish. They then moved back to The Valley in 1999, which seems to coincide with the start of their downturn in fortune. Either way, the Branson era does seem to indicate that - if well run by competent people, there's a chance of making the club a success.

Edited by TheTerminator, 02 February 2014 - 11:32 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users