McDermott & London

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

I do; I just like to buck the trend and actually bring a bit of common sense and reality to the discussion!

Heretic!

#22 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

BBC report Leeds coach Brian McDermott as saying rugby league in London should be given a chance.

It has been 34 years since Fulham launched, how long does he want to give it FFS

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/25928537

So what do you want to do about Salford then? they've been given 119 years??.

How about Halifax - another 119 years to get where??

#23 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

Either way, the Branson era does seem to indicate that - if well run by competent people, there's a chance of making the club a success.

Indeed.

Anyway what do Larndan fans think of the move to Barnet in light of the new Superleague deal?

Did Hughes know this may well have been coming??

Should those who believe this season is the beginning of the end revise that to a "new start"?*

Wlll Broncos thrive on the new format, does it suit their position in the game??

( please no more prejudice, no more "how many new starts do they want", many northern clubs have had new starts for over a century, no more people in London don't like RL, really?They don't like it in Manchester either, but don't tell Marwan)

#24 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

So what do you want to do about Salford then? they've been given 119 years??.

How about Halifax - another 119 years to get where??

You are the one who constantly argues that London should be given special treatment. I don't recall anyone saying similar for Salford or Halifax. But that doesn't fit your agenda.

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

You are the one who constantly argues that London should be given special treatment. I don't recall anyone saying similar for Salford or Halifax. But that doesn't fit your agenda.

It's been said for Salford.  Normally by people who think they should take over the northwest and call themselves Manchester.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

It's been said for Salford.  Normally by people who think they should take over the northwest and call themselves Manchester.

I don't recall anyone saying that they should have dispensation for overseas players, nor that they should have more TV money nor that the RFL should buy them a stadium nor did anyone suggest that they should get salary cap exemption.

The only thing I can recall is Koukash saying that years of underspending means that they should be allowed a degree of overspending, the amount of support he got with this was underwhelming.

#27 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

I don't recall anyone saying that they should have dispensation for overseas players, nor that they should have more TV money nor that the RFL should buy them a stadium nor did anyone suggest that they should get salary cap exemption.

It's all been said.

More people say variations on that about London or Barcelona Bobcats, true, but it has been said about other teams, most notably Salford, from time to time.

- Severus, July 2012

#28 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Indeed.

Anyway what do Larndan fans think of the move to Barnet in light of the new Superleague deal?

My views are known but I have been told it should be only radiant positive posts only from now on. ;)

Only in as much as the other owners that a deal was in the offingb from the RFL. He would have had the same 24 hours notice of the owners meeting and the same 2 hour take it or leave it deadline. it will reduce his commitment to the club but he is doing so anyway and dependent upon results this year may cease any financial involvement with the club.

Should those who believe this season is the beginning of the end revise that to a "new start"?*

My glasses have clouded over and it's difficult to be optimistic with a misty optic.

Wlll Broncos thrive on the new format, does it suit their position in the game??

It's a pity the American 5th amendment to the consititution is not enshirined in UK law for if it was I would like to take it

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#29 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

It's all been said.

More people say variations on that about London or Barcelona Bobcats, true, but it has been said about other teams, most notably Salford, from time to time.

Halifax though?

#30 broncos28

broncos28
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

I go to most broncos home games but I am constantly annoyed about the amateurish running of the club. The website and local newspaper offers deals on tickets but the ticket office on matchdays knows nothing about it, The staff all walk around with rugby union harlequins tops on, At one match when we faced Hull Kr there was no food vendors in sight (what a wasted buisness oppurtunity!!) and also its nearly imposible to buy a london broncos top online and if you want to shop on their website then guess what, their isnt one (again wasted buisness oppurtunity and a turn off for potential fans). Hope things get better at Barnet and hope tony rea and sean long improves things on the field but alot needs to be done off it.

#31 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

Firstly, the move to the Hive, like the name change back to The Broncos, was not something that was really needed. To understand what will be delivered in BARNET, you first need to examine the thought processes used at the club.

The name change was supposed to herald a new era and clear up the confusion as to what game we played, as well as to placate those seething masses who abandoned us when we jumped into bed with that Pastel Quartered Harlot, Quins! Well, guess what folks? It delivered an 8% drop in attendances in year one followed by a 21% drop last year.

The reality is that the CEO was out of his depth and was at a loss to explain his constant failure in every area of his responsibility, but as we have an apathetic megalomaniac owner who cares only that he is lauded on match day, the blame for these failings was laid squarely at the feet of our name.

So, having seen his first cover up failing terribly in 2012, the CEO announced we were off at the end of the season. The GROUND was to blame, along with the fact that Twickenham is apparently a Union heartland. Anyone care to guess how many of the 82,000 souls who attend the big house across from the stoop actually live in a TW postcode? Is Wembley a "soccer heartland"? 

FACT: 200K was the rent at the Stoop in 2011.......London Broncos RL made losses of 1.9 million that year, so the Stoop was not the problem...it was less than 11% of the problem, but to cover up the inadequacies of the CEO and the Apathy of the owner we were moving......except we weren't. Nobody wanted us. The Business had NO BUSINESS PLAN, NO MARKETING STRATEGY AND LITTLE FOCUS. Potential "investors" were non-existent and the arrogance of the owner and CEO made some people decide with a flat NO THANKS! 

So, 2012, with 200k rent and 2.2 million losses ends and we are no nearer a new home......the Guy at Barnet eventually agrees to let us RENT THE GROUND, SHARE IN THE GATE RECEIPTS AND PAY RENT ON OFFICES IN UNDERHILL.

This is not a new dawn. This is another false dawn. The squad is paper thin and in all probability we will get spanked 24+ times this year....the Landlord gets paid rent, regardless of attendances, he gets extra cash from the attendances and over HIS Bars and in HIS food concessions, whilst the CEO does....er.....well, nobody is really sure why we have a CEO now. Given he's outsourced nearly every other back office job, it is a wonder he hasn't put that role out to tender too.

January 14th 2011........That is the day that with no formal interview processes conducted and on the recommendation of 1 person, that the current CEO was appointed to his role at Harlequins RL. The club had a shirt sponsor, 3,380 as an average, played out of a purpose built Rugby Stadium and had a group of volunteers who were happy to muck in and help.

3 years later, they'll be lucky to average 2k at Barnet, will get little financial benefit from anything other than SKY TV and Hughes, have turned away hard core fans and volunteers and are reliant on an ex-estate agent and an ex-recruitment consultant to market them to a local audience.

The future is bright for Rugby League in London.....but if you're looking for an expansion club in SL, best head to Toulouse.

#32 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

Halifax though?

They lost everyone's sympathy when they were the Blue Sox.

- Severus, July 2012

#33 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

They lost everyone's sympathy when they were the Blue Sox.

I still can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea. I wonder what became of the man behind it....

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#34 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

Indeed.

( please no more prejudice, no more "how many new starts do they want", many northern clubs have had new starts for over a century, no more people in London don't like RL, really?They don't like it in Manchester either, but don't tell Marwan)

You don't like Manchester. You spent a whole thread arguing that all Manchester RL fans should support Wigan and that Manchester was a lost battle as far as RL was concerned. Come the good Doctor and his never to be found largesse for Salford you have now changed your tune.

#35 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

I still can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea. I wonder what became of the man behind it....

The funny thing is that the nickname seems to live on. People still use that name even though it was dropped a long time ago. Never heard anyone call Hull "Sharks" by contrast.

#36 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

How I would change London . First the name I would switch to London lions. The colours to gold. I would look at basing team in north may be Barnsley . This would be for training purposes . They might then be able to attract some better quality players from the heartlands. Travel down day before for home games , while away games could travel on the day apart from Catalan of course . Cost of living cheaper in the north and still run academies in the south .  If this worked with London we could do a similar model to set a team up in Cardiff base them at Chester for training say to attract better players.        

Chief Crazy Eagle

#37 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

How I would change London . First the name I would switch to London lions. The colours to gold. I would look at basing team in north may be Barnsley . This would be for training purposes . They might then be able to attract some better quality players from the heartlands. Travel down day before for home games , while away games could travel on the day apart from Catalan of course . Cost of living cheaper in the north and still run academies in the south .  If this worked with London we could do a similar model to set a team up in Cardiff base them at Chester for training say to attract better players.        

No, no, no, no, no, no, no and no again.

#38 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

On the subject of London there will be a fan forum with answers given to pre-sumitted questions at the Hive on Saturday. I may or may not attend as I have business nearby but I do hope that people behave themselves when coming face to face with our hapless CEO. Like it or not Gus Mackay is and remains His Masters Voice and executes our benefactors game plan, such as it is. Gus is an aunt sally for evertything that is wrong with London Broncos for those in denial as to where blame truly lies.

I have heard through a third party that our benefactor is not best pleased by the deal at The Hive, much as I would like to sympathise. if you make your own bed you have to lie in it.

So If I do go I would like to hear the carefully scriped responses to the questions I, and I assume others, have submitted. Have time to digest them over what for me will be a crammed sporting Saturday and then vent my spleen over a keyboard. Venting your spleen at a captive audience achieves nothing of value and prevents those of us who may come to listen hearing what Gus and the RFL come out with.. Comprendo... 

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#39 snoopy

snoopy
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Well Rooster ive not heard that our benefactor was not happy with the deal. I certainly felt when i heard the details come out that our benefactor couldn't walk away without the club being wound up as we would seem to be a loss making venture for the next 2 years at least. How much by will be decided the income from the crowds. If DH is going to cal it a day soon then we are located in the wrong place for any intersted investor - if there was one to turn things around.

#40 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Firstly, the move to the Hive, like the name change back to The Broncos, was not something that was really needed. To understand what will be delivered in BARNET, you first need to examine the thought processes used at the club.

The name change was supposed to herald a new era and clear up the confusion as to what game we played, as well as to placate those seething masses who abandoned us when we jumped into bed with that Pastel Quartered Harlot, Quins! Well, guess what folks? It delivered an 8% drop in attendances in year one followed by a 21% drop last year.
The reality is that the CEO was out of his depth and was at a loss to explain his constant failure in every area of his responsibility, but as we have an apathetic megalomaniac owner who cares only that he is lauded on match day, the blame for these failings was laid squarely at the feet of our name.

So, having seen his first cover up failing terribly in 2012, the CEO announced we were off at the end of the season. The GROUND was to blame, along with the fact that Twickenham is apparently a Union heartland. Anyone care to guess how many of the 82,000 souls who attend the big house across from the stoop actually live in a TW postcode? Is Wembley a "soccer heartland"?
FACT: 200K was the rent at the Stoop in 2011.......London Broncos RL made losses of 1.9 million that year, so the Stoop was not the problem...it was less than 11% of the problem, but to cover up the inadequacies of the CEO and the Apathy of the owner we were moving......except we weren't. Nobody wanted us. The Business had NO BUSINESS PLAN, NO MARKETING STRATEGY AND LITTLE FOCUS. Potential "investors" were non-existent and the arrogance of the owner and CEO made some people decide with a flat NO THANKS!
So, 2012, with 200k rent and 2.2 million losses ends and we are no nearer a new home......the Guy at Barnet eventually agrees to let us RENT THE GROUND, SHARE IN THE GATE RECEIPTS AND PAY RENT ON OFFICES IN UNDERHILL.

This is not a new dawn. This is another false dawn. The squad is paper thin and in all probability we will get spanked 24+ times this year....the Landlord gets paid rent, regardless of attendances, he gets extra cash from the attendances and over HIS Bars and in HIS food concessions, whilst the CEO does....er.....well, nobody is really sure why we have a CEO now. Given he's outsourced nearly every other back office job, it is a wonder he hasn't put that role out to tender too.

January 14th 2011........That is the day that with no formal interview processes conducted and on the recommendation of 1 person, that the current CEO was appointed to his role at Harlequins RL. The club had a shirt sponsor, 3,380 as an average, played out of a purpose built Rugby Stadium and had a group of volunteers who were happy to muck in and help.
3 years later, they'll be lucky to average 2k at Barnet, will get little financial benefit from anything other than SKY TV and Hughes, have turned away hard core fans and volunteers and are reliant on an ex-estate agent and an ex-recruitment consultant to market them to a local audience.

The future is bright for Rugby League in London.....but if you're looking for an expansion club in SL, best head to Toulouse.

My God, that's shocking. Self inflicted pain and little to do with the RFL

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 06 February 2014 - 09:01 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users