Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham predictions

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Very strong in defence but couldn't reallyfinish it off in attack, not gonna start shouting the negatives only our 2nd game as a team so wasn't expecting much, thought the 2 new Leigh lads played well

#22 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Very strong in defence but couldn't reallyfinish it off in attack, not gonna start shouting the negatives only our 2nd game as a team so wasn't expecting much, thought the 2 new Leigh lads played well

I agree ! we looked really good in defence  but sadly we looked poor and lacked inventiveness when we attacked , I don't and wont read to much into friendlies as the team is only finding its feet , we've had a lot of new faces and will take time to gel so I believe things can only get better , I too thought leigh lads did well and I like the way morrison gets stuck in .

#23 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

The defence is good when defending the try line however when defending further up the pitch today Oldham were making a lot of yards at times. Going forward they played like a bunch of individuals apart from the last 10 minutes of the first half.

#24 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

What were the names of the Leigh lads that played?

Like the look of both of them but the dark haired lad was solid. In attack and defence.

Briscoe was the lad.

Edited by bangbang, 02 February 2014 - 07:04 PM.

Rip the bludgers heads off!

#25 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Joe Bullock and Craig Briscoe.

#26 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

Yeah I knew the names just not the face to the name.

Cheers

#27 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

I thought Bullock had a good debut as did Briscoe. I thought we looked lethargic in attack apart from the last 10 mins of the 1st half when we looked fast and dangerous!!

Goaline defence was great but we didn't move up fast enough in midfield. When on attack runs from acting halfback were non existent .. we know Mossy can do this with devastating effect so why was it not tried ?

Oldham look a good side and will be right up there for C1 leaders/GF winners. The amount of possession they had in the 2nd half was worrying for us as Fev or Leigh would've punished us much more.

Like last year I really don't think our backline is quick enough in my opinion of course.

we won but the moral victory was Oldhams

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#28 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

I thought we played well considering the majority of the squad was used and we were interchanging every 10 mins or so and mixing it up putting players in different positions. .. That's what friendlies are for . Thought Bullock had a great game . Briscoe played well
. Morrison is gonna be our star player IMO from what I've seen so far !! Thought our defense was solid as they didn't score in 2nd half. But then nor did we but let's see what happens next week . Great effort lads .

#29 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

I thought our defence was really solid.
When the players get to know each other there will be further improvement ( it will be nice when we the speccies get to know who is who too)
I was particularly impressed with Bullock. As I posted on another thread the BOD may well gave come up trumps with the Haggerty deal.
We seem ok in the pack and the backs will be ok too, hopefully the halves will start to gel. My main concern is that at the moment we seem a bit lacking in creativity.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#30 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

Are Bullock and Briscoe with us on season loan? then another 2 players on loan which can be called back anytime from Leigh?

#31 Walney Bill

Walney Bill
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:21 AM

Unable to get to the game but in the main, the comments on this thread seem to be quite positive.

From what you all say, I'd be more than happy to have a rock solid defence every time. You won't lose games if the opposition cant score.

The lack of creativity reported cannot be put down to the absence of a single man, no matter how good or experienced he is and if anyone believes that to be the case, the team are really up the creek without the paddle. (Which I don't believe they are btw!!)
If he had stayed and suffered a season ending injury we'd be in the same boat.

The 'doom mongering' has started before the players and coach have barely started. Give em a chance I say.

#32 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Like has been said before the defence was solid throughout. It's very difficult to get any momentum in friendlies with so much chopping and changing in personnel.going on. I would have liked to have seen the ball moved out wide on more occasions, friendlies are the time to try out new things in attack, we were devoid of creativity for large parts of the game especially after the break.
From what I've seen so far of the new players I've been impressed with Mort's solidity under the high ball something that was sadly lacking from last season's squad, finally we have gor a recognised fullback, he's also a very good goalkicker he missed his 1st chance but slotted a beauty over from the touchline later on, so he replaces the now departed Haggerty as our main kicker.
I really like the look of Grant, he's very keen to come inside and look for work, which is what I like from a winger, he also finished off a nice try yesterday, I think we could have a gem there.
Speakman showed some touches of class yesterday, especially in the first half, scored a try and linked up very well with Campbell; who I thought was our best player on the day; this could turn out to be a very potent partnership given more game time together. Lets hope neither of these 2 gets injured because halfback is the main area that we are short in.
Morrison has been very impressive in the 2 games so far, a big powerful lad who takes some stopping, again I think we have signed a really good prospect here. Bullock, Briscoe and Burke are all good additions to what is looking like a strong forward pack. For all the remaining new players the jury is still out, I feel they still need to impress in the finally warm up game this Sunday, to earn a place in the 17 man squad for the North Wales match.

Edited by richie keay, 04 February 2014 - 06:52 AM.

Posted Image

#33 steve75

steve75
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Did anyone else spot the deliberate mistake in the match report on the official raiders site? Apparently Barrow and Oldham fought out a war of "nutrition" not a war of "attrition!" Also shouldn't "bight" read "bite?"

Despite good weather a heavy pitch led to a war of nutrition with The Raiders coming out on top. Organised defence saw the Raiders only concede 6 points and with a bit more bight upfront the scoreline could have been a lot different.
Our 2 new players settled in well and look to be promising recruits.
A solid performance, and a moral boosting win.

Edited by steve75, 04 February 2014 - 07:33 AM.

Posted Image

#34 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

"War of nutrition" ? Our healthy-eating regime was ultimately better than Oldham's healthy -eating regime on the day.

Maybe the match reports should be proof-read by someone first before they get published?

#35 Sempur

Sempur
  • Coach
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Did anyone notice the name of the referee........................Mr D. Sharpe.

No wonder we won!

Whoso sheds his blood with me on this field shall be my brother - Henry V