Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

League Express - 3rd February 2014

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,823 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

rlle_030214_300.jpg

Available online now!

In League Express on Monday we reveal some of the financial and other details behind the new TV contract.

Only one club voted against the new contract. We reveal which club that was.

We reveal the details of an email sent out by the Operations Director of Premier Sports that put a stop to his channel's coverage of the Championship in 2014.

We run with an article by the Chairman of a Super League club who now regrets that he voted in favour of agreeing the new contract. He explains why.

We have an article by Jon Wilkin, the Chairman of League XIII, the Players' Association, giving his reaction to the new contract.

We speak to Wigan's new signing John Bateman and Huddersfield coach Paul Anderson about this Friday's opening game of the season at the DW Stadium.

We speak to Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook about his new contract at St Helens, and we interview him about his life 'Off the Field'.

We reveal how much the new owners of Bradford Bulls paid to bring the club out of administration, and who is still owed money by the old club.

We speak to Bulls coach Francis Cummins and Tigers coach Daryl Powell about the one-sided clash today at Odsal.

We speak to Leeds coach Brian McDermott about his admiration for Jamie Peacock, who has signed a new two-year contract.

We speak to Wakefield CEO Kath Hetherington about the reduction in capacity imposed on her club's home ground.

We speak to Adrian Morley about his return to the Halliwell Jones Stadium as captain of Salford this Wednesday.

We speak to two Hull-based centres who are both hoping to enjoy better luck with injuries in 2014.

We talk to the new Warrington joint skipper Ben Westwood about his new role at the club, and we speak to Scott Moore about his new role with the London Broncos.

Garry Schofield picks out eight players to watch in Super League in the new season, while Gareth Walker writes about Andrew Henderson of Sheffield Eagles, who will enjoy a testimonial game at York on Sunday.

We have match reports from all the pre-season games played in the last seven days.

And we preview the 2014 season for Leeds Rhinos and Widnes Vikings, and give you the chance to win a Vikings' away shirt.

Our amateur editor Phil Hodgson tells why 'A' teams are so important for amateur clubs.

Malcolm Andrews, writing from The Strand, pays tribute to one of his favourite former players - Tommy Raudonikis.

In 'On This Day' Richard de la Riviere recalls Stuart Fielden's superb game against Wests Tigers in the 2006 World Club Challenge, while he also writes about a game between England and Australia that was played at Celtic Park in Glasgow on this day in 1909. Why the Northern Union thought that England would draw a good crowd in a hotbed of Irish nationalism is anyone's guess.

Have a good read.

Available online now!

Edited by League Express, 03 February 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

Ooh, sounds an interesting one! Maybe ill finally Download the app!

Ill go for Koukash voting against and Hudgell wishing he had.

#3 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Looks like buying tomorrow's edition is a total no-brainer, Martyn.

Certainly won't be buying if for the Bulls match report though...

#4 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,823 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Looks like buying tomorrow's edition is a total no-brainer, Martyn.

Certainly won't be buying if for the Bulls match report though...

Were you there?

What went wrong?

Fortunately for the Bulls, pre-season games are notoriously unreliable guides to league form.

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Blimey.  Some genuinely sounding juicy stuff in tomorrow's paper. 

#6 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,823 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

You can now read Monday's issue of League Express online and take out a subscription or buy a single issue at http://www.pocketmag...=League Express.

I hope you enjoy it.

#7 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

I hope you enjoy it.

I doubt I will.  I've already learned from others that the RFL and SL clubs have sold the sport to Sky, lock stock and barrel.  No way will I enjoy learning about that.

#8 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

"We run with an article by the Chairman of a Super League club who now regrets that he voted in favour of agreeing the new contract. He explains why".

in the interest of balanced journalism will you be running an article from someone who voted in favour and doesent regret it ?

#9 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,823 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

"We run with an article by the Chairman of a Super League club who now regrets that he voted in favour of agreeing the new contract. He explains why".

in the interest of balanced journalism will you be running an article from someone who voted in favour and doesent regret it ?

I would be very happy to do so. Who would you suggest?

#10 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

Did you try and find one, or did you just go for the negative (and easy) story?

#11 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,823 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Did you try and find one, or did you just go for the negative (and easy) story?

What Ian Lenagan has written isn't 'negative', whatever that means.

It is a balanced critique of the process that led to the new deal being agreed.

It's worth remembering that Lenagan is also the Chairman of Oxford United FC, and is involved with the Football League, with an insider's view of how that process worked when that body re-negotiated its contract with Sky.

So he has more experience than most, and, as the Chairman of our leading club, he is entitled to express his views.

But I'm always very happy to print alternative views.

#12 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

any really - or you could get a few "unedited" quotes of everyone i suppose

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm not sure just because there is a negative article the paper should have to go out of its way to then find something to balance it out, I don't think that is balanced journalism.

The Upfront editorial is very positive, as is the general coverage of the deal.

Martyn - one question if poss, but the paper does touch on the International and Challenge Cup elements of the deal, but not in any detail. Do you know whether these are exclusive deals - ie. will RL only be seen on Sky from 2018?

#14 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,823 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

I'm not sure just because there is a negative article the paper should have to go out of its way to then find something to balance it out, I don't think that is balanced journalism.

The Upfront editorial is very positive, as is the general coverage of the deal.

Martyn - one question if poss, but the paper does touch on the International and Challenge Cup elements of the deal, but not in any detail. Do you know whether these are exclusive deals - ie. will RL only be seen on Sky from 2018?

I don't think Lenagan's article is negative, but it is giving a particular point of view that may be disputed by others.

For that reason I would be happy to print opposing views, if they could be expressed coherently.

It's also worth remembering that this is the first time Lenagan has gone into print about the whole process of league restructuring and the broadcasting deal.

Edited by Martyn Sadler, 03 February 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

I don't think Lenagan's article is negative, but it is giving a particular point of view that may be disputed by others.

For that reason I would be happy to print opposing views, if they could be expressed coherently.

It's also worth remembering that this is the first time Lenagan has gone into print about the whole process of league restructuring and the broadcasting deal.

I had quite a few issues with what IL said in the article, but I found it very interesting reading.

I think it is difficult to argue it wasn't a negative article though. He says the process was poor and the deal was not good enough, as well as pretty much calling for Wood's head as leader of SLE. They are all complaints.

I think people get bogged down by the negativity within RL - the problems I find are negativity for the sake of it. If IL genuinely believes there are major issues than he should air his views. The fact that he makes himself look weak and incompetent is an aside.

#16 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,718 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

I wouldn't have thought it was a case of having to go out of their way when thirteen* clubs voted in favour (albeit if one later recanted).

*or fewer if there were abstentions

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

I wouldn't have thought it was a case of having to go out of their way when thirteen* clubs voted in favour (albeit if one later recanted).

*or fewer if there were abstentions

Well Hudgell is also unhappy, so maybe all 13 of the poor lambs were bullied by Nasty Nigel!

#18 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

IL lost his right to greater participation in any negotiations when he looked to sabotage discussions before Christmas. I back the RFL on this one - they had too many clubs either at death's door, or else chomping at the bit to step up to let the agenda be set by the successful clubs.

#19 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

IL lost his right to greater participation in any negotiations when he looked to sabotage discussions before Christmas. I back the RFL on this one - they had too many clubs either at death's door, or else chomping at the bit to step up to let the agenda be set by the successful clubs.

This

#20 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

which of the S/L chairman are you suggesting are incoherent ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users