Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Poor show

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mozzer

mozzer
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Today watched a poor rochdale hornets side get beat by a virtual saints under 19,s , barring probably 6/7 players that are fringe 1st team players,how are hornets going to cope with sides of the size n quality of Sheffield , Halifax,featherstone ,

#2 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

We are going to find it very hard. But we are realists and know that we cannot pay silly money that we have not got. As long as the lads put 100% in we cannot ask for more,
We will not be able to match the physical size of the top teams so we will have to try other ways of getting a win.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#3 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

Forgot to add that 4 of the saints team played regularly for us last year. Let's hope the Dual registration players are going to make us competitive.

#4 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Started quite brightly, our speed of play was good and we stood up well in defence but our problems from last year surfaced again, we can not defend our line and were pretty awfull on our left hand side, I lost count of the tries Saints scored on that side.

It was a decent Saints team on show with a fair bit of SL experience, but never the less I would expect at this stage of pre - season going into a higher league, we should be a bit closer than the scoreline was.

We appear to have recruited well in most departments, my only worry is the creative half-back area, Saints No 6 & 7 ran us ragged, while little came from our halves, hopefully our new Fijian will fill one of those roles. Also any dula reg players we get will also give us a boost

I am sure Tal and the coaching staff are as disspointed, but this is what pre-season is all about, we've not lost any points yet and can only get better.

We have to accept that we have probaly got the smallest budget in the league this year, we are not set up to go S~* or bust after 'Names' so its going to be a struggle, but im sure with the spirit and belief we showed towards the back end of last year we will give it a good go!

Edited by ormskirknet, 03 February 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#5 Hornets Nest

Hornets Nest
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

I ventured up yesterday, pitch in great nik, £10 good value to watch a SL team. But what the heck is that kit about. If it’s the away kit then I'm glad I won’t be seeing it too often. It’s absolutely awful.

Edited by Scoreboard Hill, 03 February 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#6 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

I could not agree more about the kit. I think that it is absolute ######. I understand the Gold, Siver Bronze membership thing but still hate it. We look as though we are going to play Hockey. I also thought that it was a bad choice given the colours that Saints played in.

#7 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

Yeah the kit's a nightmare! Like a kick and clap team. Plus both teams wearing black shorts didn't help. As for the game. Well Saints put out a pretty strong side. They'd beat most of the teams in our league with that side, no problem. I don't know wether it was the shirt or not but some of our guys looked like they'd had a bit too much Xmas pudding.

#8 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

We should get a better idea of where we are at on Sunday when we play Hunslet.

#9 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Absolutely crucial to make a statement of intent on Sunday, after which it only gets harder.  Defence and speed of play paramount.

#10 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Yeah the kit's a nightmare! Like a kick and clap team. Plus both teams wearing black shorts didn't help. As for the game. Well Saints put out a pretty strong side. They'd beat most of the teams in our league with that side, no problem. I don't know wether it was the shirt or not but some of our guys looked like they'd had a bit too much Xmas pudding.

Yes one or two did look a bit 'porky', skin tight shirts dont leave much to the imagination though do they?

Having said that the player of the year in our division last season, Jono Smith wasn't exactly chisled out of stone, and he had a great season.

I for one know all about body shape and fitness, as I am of course a real athlete who is just hiding in fat mans body! :tongue:

I am sure these boys are as fit as ever ahead of the season

Edited by ormskirknet, 04 February 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#11 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

Absolutely crucial to make a statement of intent on Sunday, after which it only gets harder.  Defence and speed of play paramount.

Think you will find it gets harder next week your lads wont be playing 19s and there wont be any D/R either we got relegated last year but you will be tested to the full 

chappy

#12 Hunslet2012

Hunslet2012
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Personally suzzy i cant see us losing there playing excellant rugby ...........but thats my opinion

Edited by Hunslet2012, 04 February 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#13 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Personally suzzy i cant see us losing there playing excellant rugby ...........but thats my opinion

Mm, would you like to try again with that one ? I'm a bit confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users