Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Nostalgia (especially for Donny fans)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

I bet the Donnie fans would rather see footage of their team going to St Helens and winning in Div 1.

#3 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

I bet the Donnie fans would rather see footage of their team going to St Helens and winning in Div 1.

meanwhile see if you can find some footage of a Dodo tap dancing.

Edited by Padge, 02 February 2014 - 10:20 PM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

Well Doncaster have not yet gone the way of the Dodo and they did go to Saints in Div 1 and win. This is a fact. The dodo will never tap dance again but Doncaster might one day go to Saints again and win and follow that up with a win over Wigan. It would be sweet.

#5 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Fascinating images there. My brother could well have been at that game as he lived at nearby Barnby Dun. No 10 for Dons I think Tony Banham who was a cult hero in South Yorkshire.The 6 for Swinton Ryan Giggs dad surely - Danny Wilson? Des Drummonds brother on the wing too.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#6 donny donny

donny donny
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Edited by donny donny, 03 February 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

'Another Bloody Sunday' is a superb documentary, from the club secretary's Alan Bennett-esque "these days, I can't wait 'til the cricket season starts" right through to the finish. The late Tony Banham is an interesting character and really stands out. Although I can see why Doncaster fans might wince at seeing that losing streak immortalised.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

1:10 - 1:14 - kid in the red jacket on the left of the screen who makes the 'thump 'im' gesture - that's me aged 14. Knew the cameras were coming so wore my red anorak to stand out You may also notice that I have my scarf tied to my wrist - which was de regeur at the time.

http://www.youtube.c...OYupXndS7I#t=77

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#9 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

Great footage. Thanks a lot. That great crowd at Batley in the promotion decider brought back a memory of a great day for your club also. To be fair to Padge, thanks for posting the bloody Sunday footage also. A very good programme. 

Now that the Dons are in the Keepmote with a 7 to 900 base as opposed to the 350 mentioned in the documentary and have a place in the Championship, now after 60 plus years in the league, having won their first ever trophies two seasons ago, I hope they finally kick on and finally realise the potential for our game lying dormant in the town.

#10 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,945 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

I recall going to Doncaster in 1995 - 19th March to be precise (I have a good reason to remember the date) to watch Fev play them - they were in Div1.  What sticks in my mind is the PA announcer during the game shouting "gerrem onside" over his Tannoy.

This film may bring back memories to Dons fans, it brings back bitter memories for me, I read a book called "Run With the Ball" by Derek Robinson, a Union ref.   about Union (a joke there somewhere) In what in those days was the obligatory chapter in Union books about RL, Robinson used this film to insult and deride the game I love.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#11 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Some of my earliest Rugby League memories came from watching my Uncle play for Doncaster in 1994/5.

230305_5916227175_3424_n.jpg

Good times.

Posted Image

#12 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Some of my earliest Rugby League memories came from watching my Uncle play for Doncaster in 1994/5.

230305_5916227175_3424_n.jpg

Good times.

Was at that game.

Seem to remember it was a Friday night game shown by Sky.

Definitely remember Doncaster won. :(

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#13 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Well Doncaster have not yet gone the way of the Dodo and they did go to Saints in Div 1 and win. This is a fact. The dodo will never tap dance again but Doncaster might one day go to Saints again and win and follow that up with a win over Wigan. It would be sweet.

I didn't say it didn't happen, I just didn't fancy the chances of finding it.

Edited by Padge, 03 February 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#14 donny donny

donny donny
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Great footage. Thanks a lot. That great crowd at Batley in the promotion decider brought back a memory of a great day for your club also. To be fair to Padge, thanks for posting the bloody Sunday footage also. A very good programme. 

Now that the Dons are in the Keepmote with a 7 to 900 base as opposed to the 350 mentioned in the documentary and have a place in the Championship, now after 60 plus years in the league, having won their first ever trophies two seasons ago, I hope they finally kick on and finally realise the potential for our game lying dormant in the town.

I didn't say it didn't happen, I just didn't fancy the chances of finding it.

I have the whole match on DVD somewhere. I gathered a lot of footage to create that montage video when Dons got to the Nothern Rail Cup Final in 2008.

#15 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

I have the whole match on DVD somewhere. I gathered a lot of footage to create that montage video when Dons got to the Nothern Rail Cup Final in 2008.

Its good that people hang on to this stuff. There must be thousands of little gems out there.

#16 saintspete83

saintspete83
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

I remember them beating us at Knowsley rd. Bobbie Goulding and Scott Gibbs league debuts. shocking start to the season and vila mautatia ran riot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users