Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

07/02/14 - Wigan Warriors v Huddersfield Giants - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

2. Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

3. Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points (4 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

4. Draw (2 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

5. Huddersfield Giants by 1 to 6 points (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

6. Huddersfield Giants by 7 to 12 points (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

7. Huddersfield Giants by 13 points or more (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,648 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

I was bemused to see a reference to away support.

I will drop it though.  Game threads should be for games.  We discuss crowds ad nauseum elsewhere.

The reference was to home support.

Yer got mugged forgedit.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#42 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

Expect the North Stand to have more Wigan families in than Huddersfield supporters.

More Wigan families than Huddersfield supporters?

BTW, how big is the average Wigan family?

#43 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,648 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

More Wigan families than Huddersfield supporters?

BTW, how big is the average Wigan family?

Re-think that question.

The size of the family is irrelevant, just think about it. 

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#44 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

Admit it Padge, it was a cheap dig at the Giants supporters

Still if Wigan are having to give tickets away it's not good is it...

Giants are stonger than they were last season, match fitness will make the difference - this next comment is itellevant of the result but the reffing will be utterly baffling and over officious

#45 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

Giants by 2

#46 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,648 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

Giants are stonger than they were last season, match fitness will make the difference - this next comment is itellevant of the result but the reffing will be utterly baffling and over officious

It wasn't a dig at all, I don't do cheap digs I do full on assault, in fact you'll find I am a big defender of Huddersfield, see posts passim. 

Wigan do this every season with the North Stand at some point, usually they do it through Heinz, they may still do yet, this one is through schools.

#47 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Interesting to see how Dan Sarginson plays if he makes the starting XIII. When he broke onto the scene at the Broncos the ex-Hemel stags Junior looked a good prospect since then not so. But one of the Iron rules of sport is that young players do not thrive in losing teams So we will see whether dan plays the footy of freedom or the footy of fear.

The footy of freedom is the confidence that comes from being in a good side which allows you to execute your skill set and become a risk taker secure in the knowledge that your side is good enough to compete.

The footy of fear by contrast is the lack of confidence that comes from playing in a beaten side, with confidence at bootstrap levels. far from expressing yourself on the field you play low risk no frills footy sticking to the planned five drives and a kick in the knowledge that if you get too far behind through errors, there's no way your side is coming back.

Enough of the Rea style ramblings., Much attention was given to Danny Brough's comment about Huddersfield happy to come in the top five and the lack of ambition percieved in such a coment. In fact Danny has hit the nail on the head This is merely the placing stage before the cup competition starts at the end of the regular season. it's then you have to step up.

It was no surprise to me that Huddersfield won the Hub Cap trinket at the end of the regular season, they were and are the most consistent side in Super League but that does not mean they are the best side. Wigan, Leeds, Warrington and maybe St Helens all have that extra fifth gear that the Giants lack. The Giants cruise along in 4th gear and over the course of a regualr season that's good enough yet when we get to the business end the flair sides show just what great players and great teams do in that they are not great all the time, nor consistent, but they show their greatness by winning the key moments and pressing home the advantage when it matters something that Danny Brough would like the Giants to be able to do.

With the World Cup Challenge coming up, I expect a comfortable Wigan win, which will stoke up false optimism about the strength of the Super League prior to a rude awakening in Sydney...

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#48 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

South Stand at Wigan sold out for this.
Suggestions on another board that 17,500 tickets already sold.
A great start for the season.

#49 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

South Stand at Wigan sold out for this.
Suggestions on another board that 17,500 tickets already sold.
A great start for the season.

Let's hope for a great game to match.

Edited by TBC, 07 February 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#50 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Why is it not good?

Wigan are well aware that when certain teams visit the DW, there will be more than a few seats available. I, for one, would rather the ground was full of supporters, even if some of them are sitting on seats that didn't cost an awful lot.

Giving tickets away might not be perfect, but it looks much better coming from a team that already have a fantastic level of support in the first place.

#51 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,809 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

I will go for a Wigan victory by 4.

#52 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 690 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Lockers withdrawn with 45 minutes to kick off, hamstring trouble

#53 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,388 posts

O Loughlin out for Wigan, huge blow.

#54 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,172 posts

It's here....GTFI

no lockers so reckon hudds will be too strong

#55 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Giants by a distance IMO. 16-36, perhaps.

Posted Image

#56 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

I'm loving the Sky coverage tonight. The touchscreen brining a hint of Monday Night Football with Jon Wells and Brian Carney. The extended Mark Webber interview sent shivers down the spine. Bring on the match, can't wait!
  • RSN likes this
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#57 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

I'm loving the Sky coverage tonight. The touchscreen brining a hint of Monday Night Football with Jon Wells and Brian Carney. The extended Mark Webber interview sent shivers down the spine. Bring on the match, can't wait!

Good build up so far.

Anyone noticed the Start menu on the touchscreen? You'd have thought it'd run on better than Windows 2000! Still waiting for this to pop up:

bsod.gif
Posted Image

#58 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

That Wigan shirt sort of looks like the short they'd make if they merged Wigan with Saints. From the side it looks like a chevron.
Posted Image

#59 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

Can't get used to this Wigan kit as a Saints fan..

#60 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

Video ref cameras controlled by the ref with assistant tools and a second ref in the room? Great idea and should hopefully speed up decisions by far!
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users